so you think you want home school? -depressed individuals

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

shako154
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2015, 1:04 pm

This is really a post that would be better off made by my friend, but I think that since she isn't on this website anyway, I will make it.

Starting right out with the purpose of this, don't start doing home school when you are depressed if it is primarily because of your worsening depression.

This is something that I have thought about doing for a long time because I have been hating having to go to school more and more the more my depression progresses. Yes, I would still love to be home schooled, but after what my friend told me about her experience, I have realized that it is only something that will only allow you to avoid some of the outcome of depression; it doesn't actually fix anything.

My friend became home schooled starting in 8th grade when she was depressed (she is now in 11th), and she says that she had all of the feelings and reasons that I have for wanting to leave public school. She regrets it very, very much. She began taking medication and is no longer depressed, and now that she realizes how lonely she feels, she finds it difficult to push herself back to going around people at school after so long.

Even if you are introverted like me, I realize that this isn't the answer. You need medicine if you are in this situation, not home school. I know that I wouldn't mind home school, but I also know that it's not going to fix the way I feel overall. I may feel relieved for a while, but it won't change the fact that I have clinical depression that needs to be cured, not submitted to.

Yes, home school may be the right option for you for other reasons, and I felt like I had those other reasons, but the honest truth is that if you're depressed like me, your mind tries to find anything it can to use for avoidance like this. I didn't notice it before, but now I know. I need medicine. Think very deeply about if this is the right choice for you, or if it is simply giving up.

Don't give up.