Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 10:03 pm

I hate it when they change the monomes/binomes/whatever to defined letters to make formulas for example the area of a cylinder. I have to associate each part of the formula to what it means and it can take weeks for me to understand if I don't get it on the first time. Basic algebra becomes really hard for me when they disguise it. Why can't algebra just be x's and y's ?

mel113
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2015, 12:00 pm

Well X's and Y's are mostly for graphs. But maybe it would help you to associate X with whatever number you're looking for? I'd need further explanation and you telling me what topic you're on in algebra to help more

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 3:00 pm

I think your problem is generalizing.
In algebra, it doesn't matter what the symbol is for the variable, whether x, y, r, h, or some symbol you make up yourself.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 10:47 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
I hate it when they change the monomes/binomes/whatever to defined letters to make formulas for example the area of a cylinder. I have to associate each part of the formula to what it means and it can take weeks for me to understand if I don't get it on the first time. Basic algebra becomes really hard for me when they disguise it. Why can't algebra just be x's and y's ?

Why?
Here is Dr. Lockehart's (a research mathematician's) explanation:
Quote:
A complete prescription for permanently disabling young minds— a proven cure for curiosity. What have they done to mathematics!

And here is a link to the PDF with a full explanation.
http://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/devlin_03_08.html

Essentially, what you see in the curriculum is unnecessary formalism and with obsolete notations. There is absolutely no reason why they should do that to you, but they do it anyways - normally because they actually don't have any competency.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 10:48 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I think your problem is generalizing.
In algebra, it doesn't matter what the symbol is for the variable, whether x, y, r, h, or some symbol you make up yourself.

But they do often try to enforce it. I have often been penalized for changing the variable's symbol.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x