Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LuigiDude
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2014, 11:40 pm

Hey, guys. I'm really sorry that I've been absent from this site for so long, but I just want to talk about some things relating to college.

First, college is honestly going pretty well for me so far. I'm currently a freshman in college so far, and I have to say, not only did I have a much easier time finding people my age that like the same kind of music as me (i.e. King Crimson, Weezer, Sonic Youth, The Clash, etc.), but I've made many new friends, and I'm enjoying the overall experience of college so far. I really like how I'm living on my own for the first time, and that I can make my own choices about my life, without the influence of my parents. For example, I can go to bed at 3 A.M. every day, and nobody thinks twice about it, lol.

Additionally, my classes are engaging, thought-provoking and they always tell me something cool and interesting about the world around me. In particular, I really enjoyed my sociology and gender classes; not only were the professors intelligent, interesting people that made me want to come to class every day, but those classes were quite thought-provoking, and they've changed several perspectives that I had about the world. The work itself is also not too challenging, and my grades have been pretty good so far. I'm taking finals for the next couple of days, though, which makes me nervous. I just hope that I'll do okay on my finals, and not fail them.

However, I've noticed that people like to drink alcohol, party and go crazy. That kind of stuff seems silly to me; personally, I haven't gone to a single party this year, and I'm a non-drinker. I intend on remaining drug-free and alcohol-free throughout my college years, as I feel that drugs and alcohol do more harm than good, and they don't fulfill you in any way. In particular, I've heard about and/or have witnessed the consequences of drinking and going wild in college, such as cops arresting students for being drunk, vomiting and ambulances being called. Hell, there was one night where 5 or 6 people threw up in the dorm that I live in, according to some people live in the same dorm as me. 8O There are times where I feel a bit weird, because I'm totally clean, and stay away from alcohol and drugs, whereas numerous people smoke weed and/or drink alcohol.

In general, college may have its ups and downs, but I like it a lot so far, and I truly feel like a college student now. How is college going for you guys? Do you have any interesting stories about life in college?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 9:53 am

Sounds like it's going great for you! I'm really happy you're settling in so well.

I'm on break now (4 classes into my graduate degree so far), but, I did the non-drinking, non-drugs, non-partying thing throughout my AS and BS, too.
For me, it was about priorities and making the most of my opportunities.

I didn't start drinking until I was well established on my own and had complete control of my environment. I have tried going to parties a few times as an adult, but, it's not really my thing. Loud and chaotic and adults still doing the stupid things kids were doing back in college. :lol:

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2014, 6:22 am

"College" in England is different than in college in the USA. We study at A Level or BTEC in college (or sixth form if the college is attached to a secondary school). I attend a boarding school and stay in a dormitory, so I guess I have a feeling of what staying at a dormitory in university will be like.

I find that my biology, chemistry and maths classes and work are very interesting and intriguing too. They are thought provoking and a lot more engaging now that I'm studying them at a lot deeper level. I feel much happier and am eager to learn more, and look forward to each day of learning. The teachers are wonderful too - very understanding and aware of my disabilities. They are very engaging themselves too and make the lessons even more exciting than they already are.

Some of my classmates will go out at the weekends to drink and party but I've always stayed behind. I've never seen the point in getting drunk, having fun but not being able to remember anything the next day. I stay away from alcohol and cigarettes too. Besides, I don't really have the time to do stuff like that since I get set a lot of work and I intend to stay clean through sixth form as well.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2014, 1:27 pm

At first, college was a blur. All I care about are good grades, boys, social stuff, and books. After years of misfortunes, I begin to focus more on my studies. I'm on break, and, so far, I have three A's and a C last semester.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 3:15 am

Not so great anymore, kind of, dunno where I'm really at now. Sounds like your freshman year had some parallels to my own. I'm a sophomore now. The fluff first year. Mine was filled with anthropology and psychology classes, which unfortunately I couldn't pursue because of how writing intensive they become. Now I'm doing geology and probably going to pick up mechanical engineering as well. A bit more grounded with more lucrative job markets. I became a bit of an alcoholic for a while, made life not quite so painful, but I had a horrible puking episode a month or so back and haven't had a drop since. Probably wont ever drink again. I prefer to have a clear mind. The initial awe of college has worn off. I'm starting to lose motivation and my grades have begun to suffer. I'm getting a real feel for my mortality now considering what will happen to me if I don't get a job once I graduate or don't find a significant other. I held out a lot of hope for years that life would get better once I got here, but I begin to see truly how much of an outsider I am. An outcast among outcasts. That and two failed prospective relationships have really made me cynical about it. A part of me just wants to elope and run away like Christopher McCandless or drop out and join the military.

It's not all doom and gloom though. I've got some professors that seem genuinely on my side in my Geology department. And although my grades are suffering I still retain a wicked aptitude for most things. I just have to get my ass out of bed and actually go to class.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 4:38 pm

Seems like things are going well for you. All I can really add is that there's nothing wrong with drinking or going to parties, as long as you're smart about it and take things in moderation. But, y'know... whatever works for you.