Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Vegetto991
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2007, 1:35 pm

I have no motivation or drive to continue with college, I realize that inorder to be sucessful in this day in age I had better invent something or get a degree,it just seems that after being in school for 14 years I have nothing to show for it besides a highschool dipolima and not much else

Astilius
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2007, 2:22 pm

Where does your lack of motivation stem from? Are you in the wrong course, or is flagging motivation (or self sabotage) something you often encounter?
If the latter then you may have to learn to just push though. If it's a subject you genuinely enjoy then once you force yourself to get down to it and achieve something, bi it good grades, a well written essay, deeper klnowledge, then you'll feel good and the reward will spur you on to do it again.

Think about what you're doing and what you want to achieve...even ask other folk in your course abouit what they want to achieve and how they feel. It may give you a little perspective to push on or change track.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2007, 3:49 pm

My only regret is not finishing college. Went for a year then starting working without a degree. With my knowledge and intelligence, I could be making 3 to 4 times more than I make now with just a freakin diploma. Please don't quit. It will be the hardest thing you will ever do, but when its done, your life will be 1000000000x times better. My biggest fear is not being able to provide for myself, and a degree is the best insurance that youll be able to take care of yourself.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 5:42 pm

Can you give more specifics?I have a college degree(and a huge debt to pay off)but the degree itself did not offer any increase in salary unless I went for further degree(graduate school),and was not a good fit with my AS.So I am not sold on the idea that everyone MUST have a college degree.It depends on the kind of work you are interested in doing in the future.Sometimes a 2 year tech degree is a better fit,sometimes working an entry level job and then taking specific job related classes(which may even be paid for by the company,such as health care),is a better investment.

So what is your specific situation?It can also be a situation were you begin with a special interest which changes while you are in school(that sucks).I was most interested in Lit. but didnt think I would be able to find a job in the field and switched to Psych. because it was an interest....oops.To bad I dont really like talking to people and cant do research on animals and have poor science background.

Sorry,keep getting sidetracked.....what are the specifics of your situation?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 6:40 pm

I think that with the way that you feel it is best to take some time off from school. Seeing how bad (or not) the reality is will give you a much better perspective on whether you need the degree.