Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2015, 6:05 pm

I got my yearbook today and I am so angry. My picture looks ugly and I didn't participate in anything, which is bad because I had a positive experience in high school. I was only featured in one page! It made me feel bad as I feel like i wasn't open minded and care-free like a lot of my peers. People at my school are really talented and ambitious and I feel bad I'm not one of them.

What can I do to mitigate my anger and frustrations about the HS yearbook?

What can I do to get rid of my fears of uncertainty and being socially acceptable?

I'm going to college next year, and I feel like it will get worse if I don't get rid of my severe emotional and explosive outbursts.

I HATE HAVING AUTISM!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

What counts is not how much you are in the yearbook, but your generally good high school life and you going to college next year. If you regret not participating in more activities in high school, you could make conscious effort to do so in college. I appeared little in my high school yearbook too, but I still enjoyed high school overall.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2015, 11:26 pm

No worries. I was involved in a Winter pep rally back in December and I didn't make the cut in the spirit section of the yearbook - only my regular picture in the junior portrait section. But I believe it was word of mouth choice, i.e. I didn't need my face all over the media for doing the always fun roll call. BTW, the sophomores were the loudest I've ever heard them at a pep rally when I gave the cue :) I don't participate in sports or extracurricular activities outside of volunteering 1x/week at a local elementary school with 2nd and 3rd graders. And I'm glad I don't participate in sports. I didn't need that.

However, last year I did get in a uncommon section of the yearbook - the Leadership section. I smiled for the camera as me and a few other kids stood right near a "school days left" countdown. Great for the students to exactly know how many days are left before the final day...
Leadership class is extremely popular at our high school. Usually about 150 kids get in over the year, which also includes the popular ASB and Honor Society crowd as well. I would have loved to gotten an ASB or Senior class office chair, but without a driver's license, and the requirement of being at X amounts of sporting events and after school/weekend events, I said no to the job.

Just remember, you are done with HS finally, and a lot of those people you won't see ever again in your life, so don't worry. For many on the AS/HFA spectrum, high school is another circle of hell. For me, it has been OK, except for the first 4 months of freshman year. I have high-functioning autism ;)

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2015, 9:15 am

I went to a high school that I didn't like before coming to my current one, which is one of the best schools I've attended. I still feel inferior to my peers due to my disability, and having autism feels like a death sentence.

Most of my friends are going to very good colleges (ucla, nyu, cpslo, berkeley,UT Austin,etc.) and I am going to a special Ed college program at a community college :(

Yearbooks are a constant reminder that the year is going to end, and I don't feel mature enough to venture away from high school.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 9:19 am

In my yearbook my award is "will get arrested" :( I don't think I was very liked at school :(

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 6:37 am

Put it on a shelf and NEVER look at it again. 8)

Yearbooks are only valued to people who were into everything. If you think your yearbook photo looks bad, wait until you get a driver's license. :lol:

chadchad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jul 2015, 3:24 am

Hi friend,
I am a new member!
Nice to meet you

tombo12boar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2015, 3:47 am

I pushed to go to a proper college instead of the autism friendly one back in 1999 and I always regretted it. I had a very tough time and ended up running away to hang out with the special needs people anyway. In 10 years time what you will care about is the friends and loves and good times, the personal achievements and happiness found, not whether you went to austin tx or wherever. You might find great friends or romance in where you are going.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 11:27 am

I don't know what to tell you about your yearbook problem. You probably won't think about it again even in a year, let alone years from now. The next time it'll matter is when you pull it down off the shelf to show your kids how silly hairstyles used to be.

I went to community college, a technical college, a "prestigious" college, and a state college. I had the most fun in community college, hands down. I learned the most in the technical college. My least useful educational experiences have been at the schools with the better names. Snootier people were there and there was less stuff to learn. Special ed programs often have more interesting people in them. You'll probably have a better time than your friends that went to the "good" schools and you can go to a four-year school just the same when you're done in community college.

Chill out and enjoy your experience!