My counsellor made me take up a major

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 10:26 pm

My counselor made me change my major to Mortuary Science. I don't want to do Mortuary Science. I kept telling her I didnt want to but nobody listens to me. At the end, I managed to look her in the eye and said "Im not going to follow through with Mortuary Science" but she wouldn't listen to me.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 11:58 pm

Hey Asperger96.

ahh counselors. Some are actually good at what they do, but there appears to be a lot who shouldn't be in this profession. Are you currently taking lower div or upper div classes? What classes have you enjoyed so far? Was it because of the content, professor, or both? I don't know what your school policy is, but if they don't let you switch to another counselor, then consider figuring out your major with the help of your professors. For whichever class you enjoy, go to your professor's office hours and discuss potential careers with him/her. It seems to me that if you can figure out your ideal career/field of interest, then picking a major should be relatively easy. Hope that helps.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 6:36 am

How does anyone "force" you to do anything?

I thought you were outside the USA (Maryland can be close...so I hear... :wink: ), but no, nobody can force you to select a major. I'd talk with the dean of academics, and frankly, if you don't know what you want to major in, perhaps you should take a leave of absence from school to learn what it is you want to do academically. Getting any degree just for the heck of it will make it fairly useless unless you get lucky in your choice.

AtlasOwl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2015, 10:03 am

Like zer0netgain said, I'm not really sure how someone can "force" you to do something, but you really shouldn't let your counselor dictate what you're going to do with your life and your studies.

I just recently returned to university to get a degree in Computer Science, and my psychologist was really happy for me and very supportive.

Perhaps you should try and find a different counselor if you don't like how your current counselor is treating you. You need to stand up for yourself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 10:21 am

Why does the counselor want you to do "mortuary science," anyway?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I hear people are dying to get into the field. :lol:

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2015, 5:20 am

zer0netgain wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, they say it's dead interesting.

svetlana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jul 2015, 6:31 am

Yeah, why does the counsellor want you to do that?

Would suggest to talk to people in the field, explore the opportunities. Take your time and then share the results with the councellor and explain what your thoughts are. Don't follow advice blindly.

realityIs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2015, 7:52 am

So what did you propose to take up?

I suspect maybe you were undecided and your advisor was under pressure to get you declared, so the advisor picked mortuary science as a default thinking you probably wouldn't want to follow through on it and would be motivated to select something else.

Have you decided? If so what. If not, then I bet I am right. (let's not wager real money though) :wink:

ultimafighterbp

06 Jul 2015, 8:45 am

Hyperborean wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, they say it's dead interesting.

:lol: You two are funny. As to the guy who's being forced to do mortuary science just switch your counselor. He's probably going by stereotypes about your diagnosis which is going to be hard to get over if you don't switch, also ask professors you've taken which can give you ideas about different job fields. Try also doing volunteer work to get a idea too while you're at it too. Hope this helps. :D

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 2:56 pm

They can't force you, heh, but they can "strongly" encourage you to do something to the point that it almost feels like they're trying to guilt you into doing what they want. That they somehow know absolutely whats in your best interests. That's part of why I got out of the systems radar, they just want you to get more and more involved with their programs, it's annoying and detrimental.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 10:15 am

Yeah, I was going into my second year undeclared, so she made me pick something she *thought* I would like.

But now I have even bigger concerns: Since I failed Pre-College Algebra my first two semesters, they'll only let me have one more shot at it this fall, if I fail I can't take it again. But if I take it their policy says I may ONLY take one other class that semester, which means I won't transfer on time.

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2015, 9:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I would guess because it doesn't require any people skills.

Nick009
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2015, 12:24 am

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra-basics

If you're bad at math, its likely because you never received the training needed to make your mind good at math. This website will do that for you for free, and teach you all of the course content for pre-algebra better and faster than any university ever could. This will help you pass the course, or ace it, whichever.