Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Iamala1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2015, 8:51 am

I recently had my DSA assessment (disabled student allowance) and it was actually really good. I got some pretty cool software recommended to help with visual note taking and stuff to record lectures and process the audio in a visual way. I also got recommended 30 hours with a mentor from the National Autistic Society to work with me on social skills and study skills and all that sort of thing. To be honest, it sounds really helpful. I am only recently diagnosed and in my early twenties so for most of my life no-one has ever actually given me any guidance on this stuff, I learned mostly through observation and developing a very passive nature, with a side effect of high anxiety. Thing is, being me, I like to know what to expect, so I would really love to hear from anyone who's had an NAS mentor or anything similar before and tell me what kind of things you do.

The only times I've ever really talked about being me in my way with someone who is not my best friend really is during assessment, and through many years of counselling with people who had 'no idea' what I was. I'm sometimes bad at it because I spent a long time feeling very guilty about the way I was, thinking I wasn't trying hard enough etc.. This is also my second attempt at university because the first time when I was 18 went horrifically wrong, and I discovered in my assessment that I still can't really talk about it without crying (which is rare for me). I guess I'm worried about being an emotional mess when it comes to this mentoring thing, but also, in a weird way, not being autistic in the right way? I know it's illogical but this is just an emotional response I keep getting- because it took so long for me to get diagnosed, and because I still managed to get really high grades at school and such despite actually missing large chunks, I was always odd, but not overly worrying anyone. I also have a younger brother with severe learning difficulties and I was 'the normal one'. I guess sometimes I feel insecure that because I can manage people like my brother really well, can actually read people well socially if I don't have to engage, that someone is going to turn around and say- oh no, we take it back, it is actually just all your fault. So I kind of want to know anyone's experience with mentors like this just so I feel less stupidly afraid of it.

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2015, 1:11 pm

Hi!
You sound so much like me from what you've said. I don't really have advice as such but it's great to be able to hear from someone in a similar situation. I am currently waiting for my assessment though. I am also in my early 20's (well I'm 24) and would describe myself in exactly the same way in terms of having learnt through observation, having a very passive nature and high anxiety. Also, I too have a sibling has severe learning difficulties and am (supposedly!)the 'normal' one. She is technically 4 years older than me but she has Global Developmental Delay, so mentally she's much more like a 4-10 year old. I have to admit, I do struggle with my sister a lot but having obviously grown up with her and been around her peers frequently at her school/day centre events, I am able to get along and work with people like her quite well.

I had my DSA needs assessment back in August and got a Dictaphone, note taking software and a mentor, though I don't think she's from National Autistic Society. Luckily, I have become reasonably comfortable with her and feel slightly more relaxed in trying to communicate with her than I do with most people because I know she's aware of my difficulties and I don't have to worry so much about making a 'hash of it'. I can just try to get it out any which way I can and keep going until I do. As you know, with the needs assessment they need to be able to 'justify' the recommendations with evidence of a diagnosis so fortunately mine was all done on the evidence of having an eating disorder diagnosis and anxiety and depression.

What are you studying at university? Can I ask which uni you're at? I'm doing Occupational Therapy at Canterbury Christ Church. I have a learning support plan (LSP) in place which factors in the difficulties I have and states the 'reasonable adjustments' that need to be put in place and today I had a meeting re: my Placement Learning Support Plan which is basically the placement version of my LSP. I had to sit there trying to explain my difficulties and answering questions about how they might affect me on placement (which I'm starting to get really stressed about). As always, when talking to clueless therapists/ mental health professionals in the past and in talking to my tutors etc at uni, I walked away feeling embarrassed and stressed because I'm thinking 'I just look stupid/useless', 'they must think I'm making a huge deal out of nothing, like I'm making it up or something'.....

I completely get that insecurity about the diagnosis, especially as I don't yet have it. I've been in a couple of situations with tutors and a couple of times to peers I've been put with for group work where I've felt I needed to make them aware of my difficulties so that they can better understand the difficulties I have and any differences they may notice (I did this by writing, in a short email to my peers and by taking my writing to read from when meeting with my tutors). I don't really know how to counter the insecurity, I guess I was just hoping that my assessment will come around soon enough and hopefully a positive diagnosis will give me the validation and security I'm currently lacking.

I'm really sorry, I've written a really long post with no proper answer to your question but it's just great as I said, to hear from/about someone else that seems in a similar situation.

Iamala1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2015, 3:49 pm

Hi!

It's really nice to hear from someone with a similar story.
I'm actually studying Film and Creative Writing at Lancaster. I have a learning support plan too which gets sent to all my tutors and I get extra time on stuff and I'm allowed to send lots of emails asking for clarification without people getting too annoyed.

I'm in my second year but I did my first year part time so I had a couple of years without having that helpful label to explain things to people and it is really awkward sometimes. I hope your assessment comes through soon though. Good luck with it all.

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2015, 5:15 pm

Yes I get that too. I'm always a bit worried that I'm being annoying, especially when I'm needing so much support and guidance/reassurance. I have written a few fairly lengthy emails to my personal tutor which she's responded to positively, though after a friend telling me I'd 'gone on a bit' in one I asked her to check over, I asked to meet with my personal tutor and took the email with me as notes.

I did highlight, in some of the notes I took to read from in a meeting with my personal tutor, that I am really struggling with the transition into the more ambiguous, self-directed nature of studying at university.

Do you find that too?

How do you cope socially at uni? I live at home (4 miles from campus :) ) so I go in to attend lectures and like to take myself off somewhere quiet in between lectures. Especially if the lectures been quite overwhelming, with group work or something. I don't get involved with anything social outside of lectures either. I either try to find a quiet room on campus to study in or come home. I'm aware this might mark me out as 'different' which is fine by me but if I'm honest it does concern me a little, what my peers think about me.

Which note taking software do you have? I was given Olympus Sonority with my Dictaphone but was meant to be given Sonocent which will be arriving soon hopefully. The only thing is obviously that means taking my laptop into lessons and no one else does so I don't want to draw attention to myself.

Do you know when you're going to meet your mentor? I guess the thing to try and remember is they are there to help you, not 'catch you out' or 'take it back' and tell you 'it's all your fault'.

So far I've not had any work to hand in, so my mentor has been mostly helping with planning/scheduling and organisation. Tomorrow is the first meeting where I'm planning on looking at an essay due in fairly soon so it will be interesting to see how helpful it will be, very much hopefully!

Sorry I've gone on a bit again. If you don't want to 'converse', just say, it's okay.

JeanM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Nov 2015, 12:13 am

I am in my thirties and a grad student, but your experience sounds similar to my own.
I love my mentors a bit too much, I send them way way too many emails. Fortunately the guy currently is kind and understanding. Not an NAS mentor but with special training in psychology.

I had a diagnosis of ASD once from a psychologist, but because a psychiatrist disagreed with him, I have had trouble getting assistance. Now that I am in a new state and school, I think I should try to get a new diagnostician to help me out.