Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 2:04 am

I'm very interested in optometry and I've been interested since I was very young. I'm also very interested in psychology. For now the plan is to get a BSc in psychology and go to Waterloo or Oregon to study optometry. Optometry seems like a good job for me because I'm very interested in it, it pays reasonably well, it's a comfortable job, I can do it part time and I don't have to work off hours.

My mom wants me to pursue a graduate program in psychology. Her main advantages are being able to stay in my home city and that I'll make a lot of difference as a psychologist. I've heard research psychologists don't get paid well and I don't know if I'd even need a PHD to make a difference. I also think she's biased because she wants me to stay home.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:24 am

Being a psychologist does not pay well until, possibly, you get a doctorate in in.

I would take the optometry route if I were you.

If possible, maybe go to a school which specializes in it.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 1:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Being a psychologist does not pay well until, possibly, you get a doctorate in in.

I would take the optometry route if I were you.

If possible, maybe go to a school which specializes in it.

Right now I'm trying to choose between a doctorate in optometry or a doctorate in psychology. Either way I'll have a psychology major.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 7:23 pm

I wish you could take optometry courses while you're pursuing the psychology major.

It seems as if the only schools in Canada which specialize in optometry are in either Ontario (Waterloo) or Quebec (University of Montreal). There is an optometry school in Yakima, Washington State.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish you could take optometry courses while you're pursuing the psychology major.

It seems as if the only schools in Canada which specialize in optometry are in either Ontario (Waterloo) or Quebec (University of Montreal). There is an optometry school in Yakima, Washington State.

Unfortunately you can't take optometry courses as an undergrad. I'm planning to either go to Waterloo, Yakima, or Oregon. Quebec is not an option because it's in French. I wish I never had to quit French immersion. I love the idea of living in Quebec and the Quebec school isn't as competitive.