Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Miranda
Raven
Raven

15 May 2007, 3:09 pm

I've been in college for 3 years and feel like I can't stand the way my life is going. I'm in a rut, hate where I live, and feel like I'm not making any progress. I've wanted to move for several years.

I've decided to drop out of college temporarily to work instead, so I can make enough money to move to a bigger city. Once I get situated, I can resume taking classes.

Everyone tells me it's a bad idea and is trying to talk me out of it, but I feel like I really have to make a drastic change in my life. I think doing what makes me happy is worth getting my degree a few years later than I expected.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 3:10 pm

Miranda wrote:
I've been in college for 3 years and feel like I can't stand the way my life is going. I'm in a rut, hate where I live, and feel like I'm not making any progress. I've wanted to move for several years.

I've decided to drop out of college temporarily to work instead, so I can make enough money to move to a bigger city. Once I get situated, I can resume taking classes.

Everyone tells me it's a bad idea and is trying to talk me out of it, but I feel like I really have to make a drastic change in my life. I think doing what makes me happy is worth getting my degree a few years later than I expected.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Is there a way you could transfer to a college in a nicer city?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Miranda
Raven
Raven

15 May 2007, 3:29 pm

No; that would mean I'd be stuck living on campus, which I couldn't stand. I'd much rather be independent and living in my own apartment, even if it means working full time for a while to do it.

I also want to be able to pay off some of my current school loans before I start up classes again, so I wont be so badly in debt when I finish.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 4:14 pm

Yeah, I did that. I hated my university and I hated the program I was taking. I've been out for a while now and I'm thinking of going back in a year and a half but I hated my old program so much that I will have to take something entirely new and that means starting over. And now I'm 27 and I want to get to work on settling down and starting a family, so I'm really dreading starting all over again and going to classes with a bunch of kids who are ten years younger than I am. By the time I'm done I'll be 33, and that's depressing.

So the problem is, if you find you can make enough money to survive, you're not very likely to go back, because you hate it there. And time marches on. How old are you? If you drop out and work for three years and then go back and finish, how old will you be when you're done? Will you want to be doing other things with your life by the time you're planning to go back to school and finish?

Miranda
Raven
Raven

15 May 2007, 4:20 pm

I'm 21 now. If I'm older when I go back, I don't think I'll mind taking classes with people younger than I am. It's not like I'm in college to make friends or find relationships. Believe me, I've tried it and there's nobody in the last 3 years that I've ever connected with. I think I'd definitely fit in better in a bigger city.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 4:32 pm

I am 27, and going back to college myself.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 5:04 pm

I'm female. If I go back to school and finish a degree before I start a family, then the earliest I can start a family is when I'm 33. I want to have two or three kids- hopefully three- and it's healthy to leave about two years between kids. So if I start working on it when I'm 33, I won't be done until I'm about 40. That's pretty late. And that whole time I'm having kids and raising them, my career is going to either be on hold or it's going to suffer.

It sucks. My mom always told me I could have it all: education, career, family. It's not true. I don't want to end up having just one child (or no children), and I don't want to end up with an unfulfilling career. I'm really depressed about it.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 8:21 pm

there's always the hope for triplets or something! fertility drugs help in that dept..

and as for school....

it's always there... but the sooner you get it out of the way, the sooner you can move on to starting a family ect... cause (while doable) it's harder to do at the same time

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 10:01 pm

Somewhat. But I never really wanted the real life either.
So, I hung on in college for 5 years, and came out without
a degree. Found the easy existence I was looking for
eventually, but it wasn't easy to come by.

Ended up wandering in and out of school afterwards,
only taking classes when I really wanted to. It helped.
If you're not happy there, it's just a waste of money,
unless you're very different from me, and able to
push yourself to do what you dislike.

Racer_J
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2007, 6:39 am

I've dropped out of college. I was doing badly and thought my classes were all stupid.

Then I joined some sh***y "junior college" and the people there were SO annoyingly stupid that I couldn't take it. I went to class about 60% of the time. Got "academically" dropped after my teachers had had enough of it.

Keep in mind that I've worked 40-50 hours per week -every- week since my second year of that major college (I passed my first semester but haven't passed one since then).
I re-enrolled at the major college I had been attending, but never went to one of my classes (meaning that I never went to a certain class, I went to the rest... I wanted to spend time with my girlfriend on tuesdays and thursdays, the only days I got to see her for a decent amount of time and the only days I had that damn psyc class), and failed it, dropping me like .1 below the minimum gpa (I had done badly already because of skipping class). She was more important, and still worth it, though.

I can't stand going to classes that I can't stand. What a stupid thing to say.

Anyways, I can relate... hope you manage to graduate. If I was single I would probably be fine, but then again, I might have committed suicide by now (sounds bad, but it's true). I'm now happy and all my posts have the word 'I' at least 40000 times, so I guess I'm an aspie who's been cured of depression by a great woman.

Miranda
Raven
Raven

16 May 2007, 11:23 am

I'm dealing with it okay, but I still hate being single. It's not that I have to have a guy continuously, but I feel like I almost never have anyone and it would be great if I had normal relationships.

I know I need to get a college degree for my future job, but right now I feel like it can wait a while longer. It seems like I'm in college to please everyone else, but I think it's time I do what makes me happy even of my family doesn't like it.