Should there be a dress code for graduation ceremonies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Should there be a dress code for graduation ceremonies?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
What? 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 1:34 pm

Years ago, my younger brother graduated from Pasadena ArtCenter College in California with a degree in photography. At his graduation ceremony, he dressed in gold. He painted a tuxedo all gold. Applied gold make-up. Colored his hair gold. Dyed his shoes gold. When he went up to get his diploma, you might say he was very bright, glittering in gold. The next year the college adopted a dress code for the graduation ceremony.

I noticed that this year due to COVID, many students graduation ceremonies were cancelled. But a few ad hoc ceremonies did occur. For example:

The seniors at the Olin College of Engineering in Massachusetts decided to have a fake commencement "fauxmencement" ceremony at the spur of the moment. Seniors attended the ceremony in graduation gowns made from trash bags, caps fashioned from paper and tassels made of yarn.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2020, 3:58 pm

Should people who are completely uninvolved in an ad-hoc private ceremony be allowed to dictate what those involved shall wear?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2020, 6:31 am

I think all the dress code that's needed in those is clean and appropriate. As in, don't go shirtless or with a shirt that has swearwords written on it. Smart clothes should be enough.