Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 1:44 pm

I'm posting about that here because I'm a constant learner. Thete's no in or out of school to learn even "intellectual" topics to me. For instance I've learnt English mostly by myself.

My first language is French, which is among languages I know, the least rhythmic of all. It's flat. Beautiful or not has nothing to do with that.

English is rythmic and fluid, meaning a rhythm and no perceived aggressivity. Easy to learn - so to speak. Italian's got these qualities too.

However Spanish,.that rhythmic, and a roman language, is not fluid to me. It's harsh, it cuts words brutally. Closer to Arabic in sounds than Italian. I don't speak Arabic at all - but curious to - and Russian and Chinese and Japanese.

I don't know if you get what I mean. I was an unconventional teacher at some point, with kids said in difficulties, and that approach worked very well. Rhythm and fluidity.

What are your theories or experiences?

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 12:21 pm

I also find English rhythmic and fluid, I think it is one of the most pleasing languages to hear.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 12:29 pm

May I ask if you're a native speaker?

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2016, 11:00 am

I like the sound of French.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm

Mandarin Chinese seems very fluid to me, but not when I speak it, lol. It also has a rhythm to it. I can't say about English; it's my native language.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 7:25 pm

I'm learning Japanese, partly because I like the way it flows. Words just seem to fit together.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 7:37 am

Are these two last hard to learn writing wise? Do you learn these languages by yourself or in a group?

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 8:01 pm

Danae wrote:
Are these two last hard to learn writing wise? Do you learn these languages by yourself or in a group?

Writing is kinda difficult for Japanese (with over 2,000 kanji to know), but it could be worse. Being a visual learner seems to help me recognize most kanji even if I can't write it.

I'm learning by myself.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 10:11 am

Not that I want tound like a brown nose, but that sounds great. Put that way I might give it a try. Thanks.