Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:15 am

I'm just not too sure yet what I want to do regarding a career and certainly not what to study.

It's not so much I don't know who I am and what my interests are, it's that I don't want to foolishly just study whatever I want but actually think logically and realistically about it.

Two interests of mine include producing music and philosophy, but I've learnt enough about music by being self-taught, so formal education is unnecessary, and wasting time and money on a philosophy degree is not worth it in my opinion, and I can also just be self-taught in that too. I also can't really make a career out of either (nor would I want to).

The main issue is that although I'm aware of my interests, I don't actually know what to expect in each career field aside from the very basics.

Also, due to my Asperger's I have quite a few specifications that limit the amount of jobs I can do further but even my personality as well inteferes significantly.

For instance, I hear a lot of university/college students often being over-worked during their years of studying, the whole stereotypical "live on 2-minute noodles and fast food, stay up till 4am on coffee only to get 4hrs sleep and juggle study, two part-time jobs and still fall into massive debt" thing, and find it harder to keep up with their health.

Well, I care significantly about my health and fitness, so over-working myself with heavy stress, poor diet and lack of sleep and such goes completely against my lifestyle.

So if I study something, it'd have to be something not too overwhelming. That might be asking too much, but I do know certain subjects such as medical, mathematics and law can be a lot harder to study than, say, a type of social studies class.

Which brings me to my next point - Things like medical career, a great deal of stress for doctors, always goes against my lifestyle (healthy lifestyle) and i've noticed most doctors ironically aren't healthy especially due to high stress levels.

I don't really feel suited towards anything. Anything decent/high paying at least. :(

I do not enjoy mathematics or engineering and find it too difficult.

I hate IT and technology and only grow very frustrated and angry very quickly with technology. I've always hated most modern technology and would rather stay as far away from it as possible. I'm even something of a technophobe (ironically).

The medical field sounds too stressful and is a lot of hard work (not necessarily hard work that's the issue, but I don't feel it's worth it).

A few career aptitude tests have suggested primary and/or secondary school teaching, but I don't think I'd be able to handle that either.

I like children but just can't handle or take care of them. I'm far too aggressive and they stress me out too much. My younger siblings along have put me off from wanting kids for a good decade or so. :lol:

Don't ever suggest business to me. My personality is a bit mixed. I enjoy routine and planning, but also have a laidback and flexible personality. I dislike the idea of and could never handle the idea of business. Rigid. Structural. Organized. Strict. Networking. etc.

I don't know. I come from a lower-middle class background and my family has always been more relaxed and laidback in life, and very against 'the system' and 'the man' and this attitude has been ingrained into myself.

For these reasons I have no interest in business, law, etc. because I'd feel like I'm selling my soul, values and integrity for a quick buck, and as much as money talks I'd rather not follow a career path I'd be miserable in.

I have an interest in politics but...well, Asperger's for 1, and 2 I'd rather be a political critic/scholar than actually be a politician.

Construction? Don't go there...

What I actually can do? Simple, repetitive tasks I can learn and pick-up easily. A job not too social, and where I feel I can go at my own pace, peaceful and quiet, minimal amount of socialization and smaller amount of co-workers.

Some retail jobs, clerk, possibly cleaner/janitor, etc.

My Mum suggested night-shift clerk/stacking at supermarkets. Not a bad idea...

I used to volunteer at a retail store where my main role was to hang up clothing. Simple, repetitive, easy, and I was very quiet and not judged for it by the other people I worked with.

I wouldn't be able to work in one of those trendy, upbeat clothing stores playing loud stereo music and having trendy youth fashion and lots of young people running around - the place I volunteered was a quiet little thrift store, the majority of customers middle-aged and elderly, especially women.

I'm fine with honestly just doing stuff like this in the next few years and volunteer work for charities/soup kitchens/retail stores/whatever, but it seems in today's world a degree means everything and also these aren't careers but simple jobs and I feel like society would down on me for it. :(

I also personally want to study something and earn a degree, but I really don't know in what and how...

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:09 am

Something like this? for idea? http://mitatechs.org/node/4144
I knew a woman who learned for gold/silversmith but found work repairing fruit machines, pinballs, and so
Learn a skill, there's always a demand for skilled workers and you can be selfemployed if you want to
& sorry if its no good!

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 12:30 am

I have a friend who is really into making films and could have easily not gone to uni. But once he got there he actually learneed more stuff and got to collaborate with people. He has now started a business with some of them and is being paid to make advertisements and short films.

Studying music could help you meet like minded people, musicians that need producers, and various other people in the field that would help you in this career. Sometimes it's about developing connections rather than learning lots of stuff you already know.

And who knows you might learn a lot you didn't realise.

Have you considered becoming something to do with health and exercise like a nutritionist or a personal trainer?

Maybe even a health advisor (political but not in the limelight)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:01 am

I was thinking the personal trainer too. You can get certificates all the way up to a Bachelor or Master degree. You work with one client at a time and usually in a quiet environment at a slow pace. Nutrition is also a part of it. You like all that stuff. Sounds perfect for you.

I watched this one Jackie Warner show (yes a reality show) and she had this workout facility with a bunch of trainers for the rich in California. It was so interesting! I wanted to be a trainer! You can workout in between clients too. It does sound fun.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 2:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nutritionist or personal trainer or such have been ideas of mine.

I wasn't too sure about them but I know now it's just confidence issues.

The idea of studying at college and such feels like a gamble to me, and the Australian system is different so undergraduates can't change course or anything, you're stuck with what you chose.

That's why I'm spending so much time thinking this stuff over.