Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2007, 4:44 am

College, even the local community college, is scary to me. I have a really hard time with new things, although I love to learn. I'm getting near 30 and I'm afraid I won't be able to continue learning as well as I could. Hell, I'm scared to go into the admissions office.

Anybody have tips that may help?

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 8:28 am

I wasn't going to reply here because I feel like people think I am dumb and give rubbish advice - which may well be true, I don't know.

But I feel bad that no-one else has replied yet.

I had this problem with Uni - and I could only go to my local university - living away from home wasn't an option.

What helped me was speaking to the support department to make sure I had sufficient support in place.
Getting assessed for dyslexia and dyspraxia and getting relevant help
Medication (I appreciate that this is controversial and it is very much an individual decision)
Limiting social contact until I could cope - i used to literally go into uni for my lectures then go straight home. I did all my essays and reading and research at home. If I had to go onto campus, for example to use the library, I would go when I knew there wouldn't be many people around, such as first thing in the morning.
I made sure I had lots of rest when not a uni - to recover from the 'social overload'.
I would always go and see my tutors separately if I had any problems or difficulties rather than asking during lectures, in fron of all the other students.

Is it worth considering doing a distance learning course or a part time course to limit the social contact?
Regarding the admissions office, would it help to notify them in advance that you have AS? (I'm assuming that you do - sorry if you don't - please don't be angry).
If they know in advance, they might be able to do things to make it less stressful for you. Do you have a support worker or supportive familiy member or friend who could accompany you?

I hope these suggestions help. Sorry if they don't. I'm having a lack of self-confidence at the moment, so I don't know if my ideas are rubbish or not. Sorry.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:21 am

Looks like good advice to me. I don't have AS though, so not sure. Resting right after any stressful event such as being around people and new places might help to reset your stress level. Sleeping after a class may help you remember stuff you just learned too.

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2007, 5:33 pm

girl7000 wrote:
I wasn't going to reply here because I feel like people think I am dumb and give rubbish advice - which may well be true, I don't know.

But I feel bad that no-one else has replied yet.

I had this problem with Uni - and I could only go to my local university - living away from home wasn't an option.

What helped me was speaking to the support department to make sure I had sufficient support in place.
Getting assessed for dyslexia and dyspraxia and getting relevant help
Medication (I appreciate that this is controversial and it is very much an individual decision)
Limiting social contact until I could cope - i used to literally go into uni for my lectures then go straight home. I did all my essays and reading and research at home. If I had to go onto campus, for example to use the library, I would go when I knew there wouldn't be many people around, such as first thing in the morning.
I made sure I had lots of rest when not a uni - to recover from the 'social overload'.
I would always go and see my tutors separately if I had any problems or difficulties rather than asking during lectures, in fron of all the other students.

Is it worth considering doing a distance learning course or a part time course to limit the social contact?
Regarding the admissions office, would it help to notify them in advance that you have AS? (I'm assuming that you do - sorry if you don't - please don't be angry).
If they know in advance, they might be able to do things to make it less stressful for you. Do you have a support worker or supportive familiy member or friend who could accompany you?

I hope these suggestions help. Sorry if they don't. I'm having a lack of self-confidence at the moment, so I don't know if my ideas are rubbish or not. Sorry.

Thank you, this does help (I do have AS, a little more HF then some but it can be a big barrier to completely new things.)

I have even gone to the local office for Austin Community College (which is a good community college, lots of offerings and a BS/BA in most things) and I sat there looking at the building had a few smokes and got on the next bus. I really did want to go in but it was really intimidating.

Now one of my problems is that I finished last in my class in high school, literally 584 out of 584. Although I do have a bit of an excuse as my mom or had any idea about Autism etc. Now, I'm in a different state then my mom across the country and so I have to go it alone. I have roommates I trust, and a g/f of 5+ years, but even that seems to be a barrier, as I am primary bread winner for the house and could not go to school full time.

I also have no idea what I want to do, what's good is that my interests have not changed for nearly a decade now and so I don't think they will change, so that is reliable to me. Another good thing I have is health insurance

When I seriously think about going to college and everything it would take I nearly get into a panic attack.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 8:16 am

Are there any organisations in your area that offer advocacy? My local AS support group offers this, so they can come to things like psych appointments with me and meetings related to my housing etc.

Is it worth looking around for someone who could help you in this way? There might be some local organisations or charities that offer something like this, or some kind of 'support worker' arrangement.

It must be difficult being the main bread winner - so I guess that means you will have to study either part-time or distance.

As going into the admissions office was too stressful (which I completely understand - both me and my bf have gone to places only to wander around outside, panic, and go straight home again!), could you maybe ask some preliminary questions via email or letter?

When I do this, I explain that I have AS and therefore need very specific step-by-step instructions on how to do things, and what the 'correct procedure' is. I explain that I don't have an assigned support worker or family member to help me, so I must organise things for myself and I need them to give me clear instructions as to how to do this.

I normally add "If you are not able to help me, I would very much appreciate it if you would pass this letter / email on to someone who can."

This usually works. There are some people who don't bother replying - but generally if I re-send the email or letter, they do reply. Sometimes, people can be a little patronising, but frankly, as long as they have told me what I need to know, I don't care. If they are patronising, that means that they have a problem, not me!

Good luck.

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2007, 1:25 pm

thanks alot girl7000.. I'll look up the ADA for help as well as email them.

you are a saint.

beautifulspam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 May 2007, 10:59 pm

another thing you might try would be to sign up for only one course your first semester. then you can focus on excelling in that class, get your confidence up, and have plenty of time to recuperate from the socializing later.

and don't worry. college is mostly about showing up and doing things on time. unless you're in aviation engineering or something most college coursework isn't exactly rocket science.