what was the worst teacher you had in school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

why do you hate a certain teacher?
too fast/slow 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
rude/demanding 42%  42%  [ 13 ]
pervert/commited crimes 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
loves popular kids 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
other 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 31

fudgearoundthecorner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2017, 6:50 pm

the worst teacher I had was in 5th grade, and I will call him Mr. B. He was strict. On the first day of school, he showed us his flip camera and told us that at the end of the year, he will make a movie with all the videos he records. Without our permission. In the morning, we would have our folder-check. No, it wasn't just to make sure we brought a permission slip home. We had to switch folders with someone and all of our assignments had to be checked for completion. One unattempted problem, and BAM! He yells "INCOMPLETE!"(Him being a huge football fan) and you automatically stay in for recess. All the assignments had to be in a certain order, too. Gosh forbid that Social Studies and math be mixed up. INCOMPLETE, even if it was completed. And to mention EVERYONE had to stay in for recess for the first 3 weeks of school to memorize math facts! You had to memorize them until you can complete the sheet in 5 minutes without getting more than 10 wrong. Back to the folder thing, if everything was OK, he gave you a "Perfect Day". You got recess. If you have 50 perfect days, you get to choose a piece of candy and you got your picture hung on the wall with your ranking. First one done? 1st place, and so on. I was #19. Those perfect days also determined what spelling level you were. Have all assignments in? You are in "C" and you get to spell hard words, while doing it online on spelling city. No assignments in? You're in "A" and you are given sight words that you have to write out WITH YOUR HAND. At the end of the year, he gave the "smart" kids college-level words. I remember one of them. It was antidisestablishmentarianism. You saw that right. 5th grade spelling. In math, after our assignment was graded, we would line up from best score to worst score and whoever we were next to in line was our partner for the next assignment. INCOMPLETE people automatically went to the back of the line. He also made us memorize the US preamble, all the states in order of joining the US, all the capitals, all the US colonies, all the Canadian provinces, central american countries, and he even attempted having us memorize EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. He always showed clear favoritism towards the ones who got all their assignments turned in. He also yelled at everyone who was in for recess. Luckily, 2 years after graduating elementary school, he retired.

Now I'm a freshman in high school, and it's nothing compared to that cranky dude. 8O

"Pit, go fetch me some mac and cheese w/ flaming hot cheetos"
"Yes lady Fudgearoundthecorner"

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 12:47 am

fudgearoundthecorner wrote:
And to mention EVERYONE had to stay in for recess for the first 3 weeks of school to memorize math facts!
Is that even legal?

L.Williamson
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2017, 3:05 pm

My teacher in Year 4 (That's 3rd Grade for Americans) blatantly ignored the fact that I was being bullied. At the time many thought that me and my best friend (Who also has autism) were gay. They consistently called us names and tried to force our heads together to make us kiss. I'm not gay, and neither is my friend. Despite undergoing all this abuse, my teacher did absolutely nothing to stop it until my mother threatened to take me to another school.

Thankfully, my teacher in Year 5 (4th Grade) was possibly one of the best teachers in the whole world! Everything was great after that!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:16 pm

I don't really hate them.

I had a 7th grade teacher who made me rewrite a theme over and over until I had it neat enough that she could read it. Then she gave me an 'F' because she couldn't read it.

My high school math teacher was really bad. He hated my family, especially one of my older brothers, and tried to flunk me out of his class. My freshman year, I had the mumps the last week of the second six week period and the first week of the third six week period. He refused to let me make up any homework or the tests that I missed and flunked me both six weeks. Then I made an 'A' on the semester exam! After that I did well in his class.

I thought it was because I changed his mind with my hard work. After my father died, I found out that he had gone to see the teacher and made some kind of threats if he didn't stop trying to kick me out of his class. I don't know if the threats were legal or physical, but they did work.

A couple of years later, my younger brother was in his class along with a classmate of his. After telling my parents and the classmate's parents that they were doing well more than midway through the second semester, he flunked them both. As a result, he didn't get his contract renewed. At the time I thought that it was because the classmate's father was on the school board, but after learning of my father's threats against the teacher to make him behave, I wonder if that might have factored in, too.

The one I actually detest is my elementary school principal. One day he marched my entire class down to the city park, put boxing gloves on me and the best athlete in the class, had everyone gather around, and made us fight in front of them.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

My worst teacher was one of my grade five teachers, who would always berate the class and tell us how stupid we were. :evil:

L.Williamson
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2017, 3:29 pm

eric76 wrote:
The one I actually detest is my elementary school principal. One day he marched my entire class down to the city park, put boxing gloves on me and the best athlete in the class, had everyone gather around, and made us fight in front of them.

Your principal actually made you do that? I'm honestly shocked! 8O

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

I had two. I put them both in the "other" category.
First grade art class. Our first assignment was a self portrait. The teacher took mine away, ripped it up in front of me, and told me it was wrong. (!)
I've never been able to do visual art since then.
Third grade (maybe fourth), social studies. That was the teacher that got me put on Ritalin. We were supposed to take turns reading out loud, the teacher would call on the next person at random at the end of each paragraph. I read much faster than the rest of the class, and had no idea where they were in the book because I was ahead of them. They decided I had ADHD and put me on an extreme amount of Ritalin.
Those were the two worst teachers I had.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 3:14 pm

My third-grade teacher got the entire class to plot against me.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 4:19 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:

How?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 5:14 pm

this is one thing i don't envy about older people. the majority of horror stories i hear, of terrible, pathetic little "teachers" with sad enough lives that they resort to ridiculing children (or teenagers), often come from my seniors.

maybe their lives are becoming more fulfilling that they no longer feel a need to resort to such neanderthal-tier behavior.

eric76 wrote:

if i recall correctly, it got broken up before it got too serious.

elbowgrease wrote:
First grade art class. Our first assignment was a self portrait. The teacher took mine away, ripped it up in front of me, and told me it was wrong. (!)
I've never been able to do visual art since then.

i feel this is a reason a lot of people give up on being visual artists, at a very young age. all it takes is that little amount of discouragement. oftentimes in an art class, when you're told you're doing something wrong, you have little idea what it means. everything is subjective.

i don't mind getting a bad grade in an assignment as long as the grading scale is objective, and i know exactly what i have to do, to get it right. while i'd rather gouge out my eyeballs with a rusty spoon and eat them than take more maths classes, i at least appreciate how the material is based in logic, and the grading scale reflects it's objectivity.

meanwhile i get a B- in my ceramics assignment because i lacked enough "attention to form" or some other BS.
hence art for me is strictly a hobby. i mostly only took that course because otherwise i'd have no other way to experiment with that medium, and i do admit it's a very fun medium to work with.

as for "terrible teachers", i got lucky in that all of mine were more-or-less pleasant. still, my 6th grade teacher - while fun to be around, lots of good memories in that class - was perfectly content in letting me waste the entire class period on the computer, playing games and browsing the web, doodling. i don't think he cared at all that i didn't seem to be learning much of the material at all, and would subsequently spend the next grade catching up on all the math i missed.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 7:11 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

How?

By pointing out my stims and quirks as if they were something to be ashamed of and encouraging the others to make fun of me when I did engage in them.

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2017, 11:30 pm

3rd grade teacher was my worst teacher followed closely by 2nd grade teacher -- they both were rude, unnecessarily mean, & cast students against each other (a bit like a mini-Nazi day camp where there were favored students & unfavored students).

I contracted chicken pox in 3rd grade - was out sick for a week. When I went back to school the teacher asked for my homework. I told her I didn't know I had homework because had been out for a week sick, then asked her didn't she notice I wasn't there? She said no, but come to think of it it was a nice week, must be why because you weren't here.

Kids would get me in trouble & lie about me doing things. She believed them even though I never did anything. When it was my word against anyone, she would believe them. Never understood what she had against me, but she was my worst teacher. All I wanted was to be left alone -- was the start of realizing all the efforts of socializing wasn't worth the trouble.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 11:41 pm

A few years back at another college, I had this literature teacher who was just terrible! She would make fun of people's beliefs that were not her own. She would come out with very sensitive things to the class like "There no such thing as hope" etc. and made everyone who had an opinion on something feel stupid.

One day she sent me an email telling me that I need to go seek a therapist for my "behavior" or I will be removed from the class. That seriously got under my skin when I read that.

This teacher has gotten a lot of negative reviews from classmates on RateMyProfessor who have stated that she gives bad grades to students she didn't like. So I ended up changing class. I had astronomy as the replacement.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2017, 6:21 pm

Most of my teachers weren't good but the most egregious was probably my elementary school principal. He would give weird shoulder massages to students and they didn't like it, obviously. He tried it one time with me and I gave him the evil eye. He never did it to me again but I never did get along with him and that whole situation now seems really perverted if you ask me.

I went to a school district that had verbally abusive teachers, teachers who were incompitent, teachers who mostly didn't care about anything other than their paycheck, you name it:

I had one teacher who was a reckless driver (he drove some of us during a field trip and I thought he would plow through traffic) but had the gall to condescend towards us in the class about our driving habits (he was a hypocrite on other things as well)

One of my English teachers (who was gay) was suspected of flirting with male students (not proven but there was suspicion).

Another English teacher was just mean. She would harass students for no reason and almost got me kicked out of class because I swore in class after being verbally talked down too much.

My biology teacher was a jerk and didn't make a good attempt to teach his subject right. He was also the wrestling/football coach and a kid on the team one time told him off during practice and the coach supposedly grabbed the kid by the throat and lifted him off the ground in retaliation.

Teachers here allowed for students to be bullied constantly. At high school the principal allowed some students (who were bullies) to even joyride through the parking lot and they got away with it since the teachers and staff here play favorites.

Teachers here also did their fair share of bullying. Most of the teachers and staff I had would talk down to students or jab at them verbally. I jabbed back a couple of times and almost got kicked out of school in the process (yet many kids who were legit troublemakers got away with worse).

If I had the choice I would have fired most of the teachers in this school district and probably put a few of them in JAIL for what they did. People need to speak out more on these crappy school districts and the stuff that the adminstration and staff try to cover up. The school district here (Sioux Falls) allowed a lot of crap to go on that would not fly today!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 8:00 am

I could say all my Grade 7 and Grade 8 teacher except one because they all cared more about their jobs than the fact a student was getting attacked regularly but if I had to narrow it down to one I would say my Grade 10 English teacher. She was one of those man-hating feminists and I somehow got on her bad side. Even though I was always considered an excellent student by everyone else she had had it out for me.

On the plus side, her nasty attitude was reciprocated and I was never bullied again from that point on. Maybe kids saw I wasn't the teacher's pet they thought I was. My Grade 11 English teacher got hired only because the school needed a 'token' black teacher but she was just awful in general, not because she did anything to me.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2017, 11:11 am

IgA wrote:
3rd grade teacher was my worst teacher followed closely by 2nd grade teacher -- they both were rude, unnecessarily mean, & cast students against each other (a bit like a mini-Nazi day camp where there were favored students & unfavored students).

I contracted chicken pox in 3rd grade - was out sick for a week. When I went back to school the teacher asked for my homework. I told her I didn't know I had homework because had been out for a week sick, then asked her didn't she notice I wasn't there? She said no, but come to think of it it was a nice week, must be why because you weren't here.

Kids would get me in trouble & lie about me doing things. She believed them even though I never did anything. When it was my word against anyone, she would believe them. Never understood what she had against me, but she was my worst teacher. All I wanted was to be left alone -- was the start of realizing all the efforts of socializing wasn't worth the trouble.

That is a shame what you had to go through there. I would have fired those teachers in an instant if I had the authority to do so at a minimum.

GiantHockeyFan wrote:

I could say all my Grade 7 and Grade 8 teacher except one because they all cared more about their jobs than the fact a student was getting attacked regularly but if I had to narrow it down to one I would say my Grade 10 English teacher. She was one of those man-hating feminists and I somehow got on her bad side. Even though I was always considered an excellent student by everyone else she had had it out for me.

On the plus side, her nasty attitude was reciprocated and I was never bullied again from that point on. Maybe kids saw I wasn't the teacher's pet they thought I was. My Grade 11 English teacher got hired only because the school needed a 'token' black teacher but she was just awful in general, not because she did anything to me.

It's a good thing you stood up to that 10th grade teacher. I can't believe that school hire these people!