Page 3 of 22 [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 1:23 am

...I did indeed get annoyed at the taking S GED - I Don't believe that they are for people who graduated HS, which I DID. I believe that the people who offer them do not intend them for people who have HS diplomas! :x I think that would really be considered improper by them!
If you say so, Anne, but I don't' know that I remember ever saying what the name of my HS was on this board. Anyway, it's not just a question if the recovery odds, that's just the beginning of things - There is the question of whether, now, I can general do it if I do try - Whether I am up to it, even whether my health is up to it now :(. And, yes, whether, even if I am, whether I could navigate past the shoals and even get in :| . That said, that permits me to say this in a thread that is not a reply to someone unfriendly - As far as going against my health goes, I do operate under enough optimism to hope - and assume - that my health will get better! I have improved in some ways recently - It would take some time to set everything up, I would hope I would improve during that time!
As far as the question of my mobility goes, perhaps, if I got into a unique, I would need an electric wheelchair to get to classes on time, at least part of the time. I would likely need somethinv if a handicapped-made easier for room - I could use one now! This motel room is not handicapped-made, and I do have some problems here, although U will not digress about that here. Getting around on a unique would me more compact than getting to classes from outside - I not only do not h
own a car, I long since do not have a driver's liscence :(. I have not driven this century, Ibelieve. And, though perhaps I could get a driver's licence again - Will I ever be in the financial and personal position to ever own a car, ever :? ? I tend to doubt that. My inner idea if that tends more towards thinking that, if I achieve a more " normal " life and, in that, have a driver's licence again - I'd follow " those kewell, car-disliking, Millenials " and occasionally get some.thing from one of those " car-sharing " outfits that have sprung up in recent years ears - Not Hertz or Avis, just as Uber and Left sort of differ from traditional " take " services. Just as I Don't have a full-fleged computer and question whether I'll ever have the money - and good stability, and connections and knowledge to have one although that might be more reachable - and wanted/needed :o - than a car. . As far as unique-going in my handicapped state - Which is, I imagine, " rest of my life ", I don't believe the CHF will ever fully go away, though it could improve some I guess :| - And I imagine the toes won't ever be growing back :cry: . though I guess that's sort of cosmetic. - In't it generally considered admirable for someone handicapped to try and pursue education? Would the putters-down of my idea of going to university because of my handicaps say the same things to someone younger who was the same degree of handicapped? :(
You know, I am surprised that someone above, here, out down the idea of taking an online course. I tended to think that at least some would go " Rah, rah, rah! Take an online course! It's the latest thing! ". :P :x 8) I do not have a full-fleged computer, and I think that all the alleged wonderful bells and whistles of an online course are any good without a fairly good computer - And, if course, I do not have a true home :| . I hope that people would not suggest " You could just take a laptop and hang around Starbucks' all day "! :twisted: That said, I could take an okay online course...if it was to get credits that would get you into university, and not just take more online courses.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 1:55 am

...Oh, so you " demand " an answer from me, do you :twisted: ? H

I demand that you tell ME why you're such a pompous posterior -Euphemistic language used for presumed Mods' sensibilities- ! :P

owUnion"]

ASS-P wrote:
Okay, now I'm going to post again about the circumstances where it worked out that I never truly got to go, under the right circumstances, to uni - meaning " college " in the sense most people mean when they say " college ", meaning a four-year (in theory), residential, " regular " B.A. track or other degree place. I will use the I-know-it-as Australian phrase " uni " for that - and I will say " cc " to refer to community college, night school, any such " you can get a college education but it's not the full-fledged " uni " experience " thing.
Yes, I have said many times that I want to go to uni - but I was not, and am not, denying the scenario " Well, you have to go to cc first - THEN you can go to uni!! ! ! ! You just have to prove yourself)get practice - ' pay your dues ' (he said, a littlle bitterly :| ) - at cc first. THEN you can go to uni!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :D ". Remember, I was trying to go. to City College of San Francisco last year, when I still lived in SF. So you don't need to jump down my throat and tell me that (he said, a little bitterly). It's nessasary, I guess, in my situation :( .
But, I want to tell you about my past attempts to go to uni. And how the College-Industrial Complex spat in my face - or shat on me - over & over :cry:.

I think what this is really about is another attempt to get in, with possible soliciting of aid from people at this forum. Tell me this in all seriousness--how would you keep up with classes when you are in the hospital all the time? I'm demanding a straight up answer to this in a straightforward and no blubbering incoherence fashion. Because from your posts, you are, and its no exaggeration to say, in the hospital or a rehab center or some other such place every other week.

If I don't get a straight answer to this, I'm going to write off any other such posts as trolling, plain and simple.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:09 am

Couple of things. First, your wanting to go to college seemed to often be presented as a pipedream to live like an 18 year old in a dorm and capture some kind of experience you should've had. None of it sounded particularly realistic. That and it seemed like you were always trying to get someone to do everything for you. Whether that's what you meant or not, that's the way it always seemed.

Second, I don't see any way you're going to be able to attend college without a laptop. And you can get a Chromebook laptop for 100-200$, which is a lot less than college courses are going to cost. Really you'll probably a printer too. Even grade schools have students using laptops these days. Having one for school is essential.

Last edited by EzraS on 04 May 2018, 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:14 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Oh, so you " demand " an answer from me, do you :twisted? I demand that you tell ME why you're such a pompous posterior -Euphemistic language used for presumed Mods' sensibilities- ! :P
You make me think of those people who harass mass shooting victim's families, " demanding " that they prove that their dead children existed and weren't fakes like Alex Jones or whoever said by digging them up for them!
I don't think you'd do anything for me - why the F should I do anything for you :lol: :evil: :P 8) ?

owUnion"]
ASS-P wrote:
Okay, now I'm going to post again about the circumstances where it worked out that I never truly got to go, under the right circumstances, to uni - meaning " college " in the sense most people mean when they say " college ", meaning a four-year (in theory), residential, " regular " B.A. track or other degree place. I will use the I-know-it-as Australian phrase " uni " for that - and I will say " cc " to refer to community college, night school, any such " you can get a college education but it's not the full-fledged " uni " experience " thing.
Yes, I have said many times that I want to go to uni - but I was not, and am not, denying the scenario " Well, you have to go to cc first - THEN you can go to uni!! ! ! ! You just have to prove yourself)get practice - ' pay your dues ' (he said, a littlle bitterly :| ) - at cc first. THEN you can go to uni!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :D ". Remember, I was trying to go. to City College of San Francisco last year, when I still lived in SF. So you don't need to jump down my throat and tell me that (he said, a little bitterly). It's nessasary, I guess, in my situation :( .
But, I want to tell you about my past attempts to go to uni. And how the College-Industrial Complex spat in my face - or shat on me - over & over :cry:.

I think what this is really about is another attempt to get in, with possible soliciting of aid from people at this forum. Tell me this in all seriousness--how would you keep up with classes when you are in the hospital all the time? I'm demanding a straight up answer to this in a straightforward and no blubbering incoherence fashion. Because from your posts, you are, and its no exaggeration to say, in the hospital or a rehab center or some other such place every other week.

If I don't get a straight answer to this, I'm going to write off any other such posts as trolling, plain and simple.
[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:34 am

...Yes, Ezra, I would need tech to go to school. I am not saying I would wish to go. Without it _ And I do think money for that could be found, just as the needed money for tuition and everything else could be found, that is a side issue I don't wish to go into now.- I was talking about the idea that " Why don't you get a laptop and take online courses and do it by hanging around Starbucks all day! " was a stupid idea, if anyone suggested it, and an "online course " would likely only be very viable with a good computer. You misinterpreted me a whole bunch if you thought I meant, " I want to go to uni with no more than the phones I have now :P ! "
And, I don't picture myself as a BMOC, IF I did get to go. Of course not. I would be somewhere off to the side - just as I likely would have been if I had gone at the " proper " age. At least I'd have a certain status to retreat behind/ some dignity/the quiet consolations of old age by :cry: .

of things. First, your wanting to go to college seemed to often be presented as a pipedream to live like an 18 year old in a dorm and capture some kind of experience you should've had. None of it sounded particularly realistic.

Second, I don't see any way you're going to be able to attend college without a laptop. And you can get a Chromebook laptop for 100-200$, which is a lot less than college courses are going to cost. Really you'll probably a printer too. Even grade schools have students using laptops these days. Having one for school is essential.[/quote]

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:58 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Yes, Ezra, I would need tech to go to school. I am not saying I would wish to go. Without it _ And I do think money for that could be found, just as the needed money for tuition and everything else could be found, that is a side issue I don't wish to go into now.- I was talking about the idea that " Why don't you get a laptop and take online courses and do it by hanging around Starbucks all day! " was a stupid idea, if anyone suggested it, and an "online course " would likely only be very viable with a good computer. You misinterpreted me a whole bunch if you thought I meant, " I want to go to uni with no more than the phones I have now :P ! "

I do hybrid schooling which means a combination of attending and online. I need a laptop and online access just as much for one as the other. And really it would be hanging out at the library all day, rather than starbucks. I'm sure there are thousands of people who do online courses at the library. Ever notice how many people are on laptops in a library?

ASS-P wrote:
And, I don't picture myself as a BMOC, IF I did get to go. Of course not. I would be somewhere off to the side - just as I likely would have been if I had gone at the " proper " age. At least I'd have a certain status to retreat behind/ some dignity/the quiet consolations of old age by :cry:

My grandma started taking some courses last year and she's 68. Age isn't an issue for going to college, unless you're doing it for the dorm life on your own for the first time 18 year old experience, which you seemed to be pining for at great length in several other "I never got to go to uni" threads.

Have your HS transcripts mailed to you. Get a laptop. Pick a college and apply. You'll need a laptop and online access just for the application process.

If your HS transcripts no longer exist as you say, what on earth is anyone here supposed to do to make them reappear? You'll have to explain it to the college and see what they have to say about it.

The thing with you, is it seems like your reply to most anything suggested in numerous other "I never go to go to uni" threads is, "I can't I can't I can't", "that's a stupid idea you idiot" and "you're a liar". That's why there's been so many of these threads that have gone nowhere. People are trying to help you, but you always make it impossible.

I'm not spewing hatred at you. I'm someone else who's physically and mentally handicapped trying to help you.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 4:37 am

...I lost a draft :cry: . More later.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 5:05 am

Chronos wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That’s all he needs—aside from his personal identification.

I was saying that credits from a community college count the same as credits from Yale or Harvard. Ezra may be under the mistaken impression that community college is at the “bottom of the barrel” as far as colleges go.

Honestly I got a better education at community college than a "world class university". At community college, they instruct. They deliver the information in a orderly, efficient manner with topic headers and bullet points so students know what information they are responsible for, and all subjects are taught this way.

At universities a lot of the professors don't instruct, they lecture. They stand up there and start talking...at least in the liberal arts, and who knows what is actually relevant to know.

You make some very good points. I used to teach at a small college that had lots of students come over from a world class university to take courses. It wasn't because the courses were easy -- in some cases, the courses taught there were tougher than their counterpart at the big university.

One major reason students took classes there was that the major university couldn't just add courses because of a larger than expected enrollment in the classes. With all the bureaucracy and classroom scheduling, if the class wasn't scheduled nearly a year earlier, it wasn't going to be scheduled. At the smaller college, they could more easily add more courses to the schedule even as late as a week before the semester started.

Also, so many of the undergraduate classes in more scientific and technical subject at the major university were taught by grad students who often had never taught the course before. At the small college, the profs either had completed their master's or doctorates and had often been teaching the courses for years.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 5:25 am

AnneOleson wrote:
I reminded you of this before - a member here DID contact your old high school for you. The school just needs your mailing address and will send a copy of your record. They are not lost. I’m not going to go back through your old threads to find the posts for you, but the information is there.

That's interesting. If he can't send them his mailing list for a copy of his record, then it doesn't bode well for his chances at a college or university where he's going to have to be involved to a much greater degree.

As for money, these days I think that colleges and university will work really hard to help disabled students who are qualified to attend. Depending on the college, that could even include dorm rooms specifically designed for disabled students as well as for financial aid.

The keyword there is "qualified". I'm wondering just what universities he wishes to attend. I was accepted everywhere I applied, but I have no illusions about whether I might have been accepted to some place like Cal Tech, MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. I like where I went much better than them anyway.

What he needs to recognize is that if he gets accepted somewhere that is beyond his ability to compete, he is going to be just as miserable and will never graduate.

This reminds me of a certain black football player from the rural south who was offered a football scholarship at UCLA. He turned it down and went to a small, rural college instead. When asked why, he answered with something like this:
Quote:
Sure I could have gone to UCLA and been a star there, but I would never have graduated. I'm not big enough for the NFL. Not too long after I left school after my four years were up, I would be back home and unemployed. Instead, I came here where I got to be a football star. More importantly, I will graduate from this school. Having a degree and with affirmative action, I'll never have a problem finding a job the rest of my life.
When he said that, I realized that he is far wiser than the vast majority of students.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 9:35 am

Everybody is accepted at community college—-provided proof exists of high school graduation or GED.

He has to pass the English and math entrance exams, though, to be eligible for degreed courses. Otherwise, the student is forced to take non-degreed remedial courses.

I believe he can pass the English. I don’t know about the math.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 10:29 am

...Since I'm being talked about let me say that it appears that what"s being said about me maybe doesn't relate me or you all haven't quite read everything I said here.
Kiki, you cite " a small college ", not a community college. I don't see myself really going to a " big name " place and I SAID that earlier in the thread :x ! I'm not black or a football player. I probably would major/specialize in something liberal arts-y, that's what I'm interested in and what I tend to be good at, I'm simply not very STEM-oriented. at least as I see myself now. :| Before you lecture me, I imagine I might minor in " something more practical ".
I'm not in the condition to apply even to CC this moment. I have no one to help me apply - This seems to back into this storyline where people expect me to somehow apply " entirely alone " :( , not talking to any admissions person or whatever about it. I CAN'T DO THAT!! !! ! As I pointed out, nobody does that, and I HAVE been scarred by some of my experience s. :cry:, and I do live rather marginally)at a remove from " normal society ". I really can't do it alone - if I am expected to, why????????? :(
Now, maybe I've backed myself into being too sad here - But, to continue. I do have a cc in mind in this area - If I can find people to help me - Perhaps I could go this fall? Getting everything lined up, for one - including the money, obviously - would take some time. As for a uni I might go to, basically, " somewhere nice that would have me " - I would really have to wait until I got into a cc and then. in the system, presumably with decent grades, look for somewhere. A past dispute I have with the State if California where they think - thought - that I owe them lots of money maybe means that I could not get into any UC or CSU campuses, where focus in CA in transferring from cc tends to be. With that, and with what seems to be this unspoken rule that exists that a person who gets cc credits in one statement isn't really allowed to take them far away, he's rather confined to his state and nearby/adjacent ones, a person in Arizona probably can't get into Massachusetts and vice versa, etcetera - I tend to think of somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. If I started in fall 2918, maybe I could get in somewhere for fall 2020. I would want to start in the Fall semester and maybe thinking I could get in in fall 2919 if I started in fall 2018 is a little ambitious/expect the system to move faster than it's likely to -ore-Murdoch what do you think?
KK, are you sure all CCS are obligated to accept everyone? Maybe some goverment-supported ones - In NYC, I think CUNY used to be that way, though I think they became more selective later. When I wanted to go to CCSF in San Fran, they were perhaps at least close to that - But those dicks at HOT Team lied to me about helping me apply :evil: :( - though I likely could not have gone then, anyeay, granted - plus I had reason/s to leave SF besides that.

lli"]

AnneOleson wrote:
I reminded you of this before - a member here DID contact your old high school for you. The school just needs your mailing address and will send a copy of your record. They are not lost. I’m not going to go back through your old threads to find the posts for you, but the information is there.

That's interesting. If he can't send them his mailing list for a copy of his record, then it doesn't bode well for his chances at a college or university where he's going to have to be involved to a much greater degree.

As for money, these days I think that colleges and university will work really hard to help disabled students who are qualified to attend. Depending on the college, that could even include dorm rooms specifically designed for disabled students as well as for financial aid.

The keyword there is "qualified". I'm wondering just what universities he wishes to attend. I was accepted everywhere I applied, but I have no illusions about whether I might have been accepted to some place like Cal Tech, MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. I like where I went much better than them anyway.

What he needs to recognize is that if he gets accepted somewhere that is beyond his ability to compete, he is going to be just as miserable and will never graduate.

This reminds me of a certain black football player from the rural south who was offered a football scholarship at UCLA. He turned it down and went to a small, rural college instead. When asked why, he answered with something like this:
Quote:
Sure I could have gone to UCLA and been a star there, but I would never have graduated. I'm not big enough for the NFL. Not too long after I left school after my four years were up, I would be back home and unemployed. Instead, I came here where I got to be a football star. More importantly, I will graduate from this school. Having a degree and with affirmative action, I'll never have a problem finding a job the rest of my life.
When he said that, I realized that he is far wiser than the vast majority of students.[/quote]

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 10:39 am

...When I thought that I could go to CCSF, it was a rule there that everyone had to take " Bonehead English " and " Bonehead Math ", as I'll call them, when they first took classes there, it was not a ? of passing a test or not.

erybody is accepted at community college—-provided proof exists of high school graduation or GED.

He has to pass the English and math entrance exams, though, to be eligible for degreed courses. Otherwise, the student is forced to take non-degreed remedial courses.

I believe he can pass the English. I don’t know about the math.[/quote]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 11:29 am

I don’t know if cc’s are required to accept just anyone—-but for all intents and purposes, they’ll take anyone.

You have to have some competency in English/math to take the degreed courses. That is usually determined by a pre-entrance exam.

Are the “boneheaded” courses 3 credits?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:28 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...Since I'm being talked about let me say that it appears that what"s being said about me maybe doesn't relate me or you all haven't quite read everything I said here.
Kiki, you cite " a small college ", not a community college. I don't see myself really going to a " big name " place and I SAID that earlier in the thread :x !

You really need to stop this. With that attitude why should anyone even bother replying to your threads.

ASS-P wrote:
Before you lecture me, I imagine I might minor in " something more practical ".
I'm not in the condition to apply even to CC this moment. I have no one to help me apply - This seems to back into this storyline where people expect me to somehow apply " entirely alone " :( , not talking to any admissions person or whatever about it. I CAN'T DO THAT!! ! ! !

Even I being primarily nonverbal and special ed, will need to do things like admissions and communicating with the college adim on my own. The only help I'm going to get is people answering my questions. College requires independent ability to get things done on your own and lots of effort. Personally I don't think I'm going to be able to hack it. But I suppose I have to at least try.

Last edited by EzraS on 04 May 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:42 pm

The first step in applying would likely be to call up their admissions office and talk to them about what you need to do to apply.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2018, 2:45 pm

kokopelli wrote:
The first step in applying would likely be to call up their admissions office and talk to them about what you need to do to apply.

I think what he's saying is that he needs someone to apply for him. I don't think it works that way does it?