Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2018, 10:51 am

I'm a junior in high school right now. I'm going to be applying to colleges over the summer, and up until recently the college I was most interested in going to was one that was reasonably priced, had flat-rate tuition, classes I was really interested in, and was about two hours away from my home.

However, it just hit me recently that I don't do well away from home/family. I had a breakdown in the hospital once because my mom left me overnight. My worst fear would be getting to college and being so lonely that I was unable to focus or having a meltdown on my first day. As such, I am seriously thinking about a college I originally ruled out that's six minutes away so I could live at home. However, this college is significantly more expensive and has a lower acceptance rate, and my GPA isn't amazing because I dicked around freshman year.

Does anyone have experience with fear of being lonely in college? Did it turn out better than you expected/did you get used to not always being around your family?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 1:23 am

Nekomonster wrote:
I'm a junior in high school right now. I'm going to be applying to colleges over the summer, and up until recently the college I was most interested in going to was one that was reasonably priced, had flat-rate tuition, classes I was really interested in, and was about two hours away from my home.

However, it just hit me recently that I don't do well away from home/family. I had a breakdown in the hospital once because my mom left me overnight. My worst fear would be getting to college and being so lonely that I was unable to focus or having a meltdown on my first day. As such, I am seriously thinking about a college I originally ruled out that's six minutes away so I could live at home. However, this college is significantly more expensive and has a lower acceptance rate, and my GPA isn't amazing because I dicked around freshman year.

Does anyone have experience with fear of being lonely in college? Did it turn out better than you expected/did you get used to not always being around your family?

You could do "Distance Learning" and get your degree without leaving home.

:D

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2018, 2:21 am

Moving out during college is intended to be kind of a test run of adulthood, so the good thing, you wouldn't be alone in feeling homesick or out of place... Even people who don't normally suffer from separation anxiety or the like have trouble moving out the first time.

Also, in college, you would probably still have the option to come back home after a semester if it's too hard. Then you can regroup and go from there, whether it's transferring to a closer college or what have you.

But if you stay home now, I think that will make it harder to move out once you graduate. It'd be much harder to abort mission and come back to your parents' house once you're already working and have your own place. I feel like now is the time to give it a shot. Computers and phones make it easier cause you can put your people on Skype or FaceTime. Also, your dorm or apartment for school should free comfortable and safer than the hospital, so maybe you won't have as much anxiety about it. Your stuff will be there and you can set it up how you like.