Feel like i'm adding no value to my university

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

arroyoswilliams
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Oct 2018, 9:23 pm

Everyone has friends/relationships and stuff. I'm part of a few clubs but really distant in them. I just feel like its just so damn crowded and if I fail out the university would be completely better off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2018, 6:58 pm

You don't need to be of value to the University. The University needs to be of value to you.

What are you studying?

Indominus
Raven
Raven

20 Nov 2018, 8:50 pm

Well, dropout dates are past due, so you'd get a WF if that happened. Plus, based on whatever field you're in, it's better to push through now since you've already got this far. I mean, my laptop's back left corner sprang out like a pop up in a pop up book so...I guess I should better get that checked or get a new one, as unfortunate as that may sound. It's still working fine at least, I suppose.

But, I can understand with what you're getting at regarding clubs. Apparently, my roommate and I were discussing about how there was no chemistry tutor until one person with piecemeal hours came in. But, considering how I'm the vice president, the mantle's on me. But even though my average in there is a 76 (guess that's why I had a green mesh on my name on the attendance sheet today compared to those in yellow and brown who are either at risk or failing almost completely), it can go up to an 88 because of the sapling learning, but given how I have a little less than half of my extra credit points remaining, unless I do really bad, it's not going anywhere yet.

But besides that, we were talking about why there isn't a chem tutor up until now and it's because 1. people are not interested in it and 2. nobody cares. In addition, other clubs which I haven't had so much success in also include many people who don't seem to care. Plus, I got scolded by my boss today because last week there was a blizzard and a possibility of school being cancelled but given how upset I was at this, I didn't bother coming in, despite the roads being accessible enough to walk in (this is upstate NY we're talking about so it snows moreso than downstate) and considering how I had a math test which I didn't study for (which I also have to make up because the adjunct tutor that I was with also didn't seem to have it with him) I didn't bother going to class for and she didn't mind if some people could make it so I also took advantage of that as well. Plus, considering how I had a meeting with my psychologist today and decided to meet him at 12:30 and talk about everything I've been through so far.

But, that's not entirely the reason as to why I've been scolded. The reason is that I've been "missing my shifts far too many times" or whatever because I keep (or kept) making appointments with my advisor and since I'm a big boy now (according to the school's definition of 2nd years), I could register for myself if I wanted to, in addition to the fact that I've been visiting my chem teacher for help with pre-labs and HW questions and like I mentioned before about the lack of a chem tutor, no one is willing to remain interested in the subject, but also because not everyone has remained interested in the club "like I have" according to someone.

But, besides that, it can be hard to really develop any sort of relationship among one's peers and the same can be said for everybody. The least you can do now is try and do you.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 9:23 pm

You are paying the school tuition

The school is not paying you

So you don't have to :ninja: add value :jester: to the school

Not everyone has friends and relationships

When I was in college, I did not have friends

"Life" goes on

Just because you have no friends, does not mean that it is your fault

Some people only want to be friends with people that are similar to them

That is just more convenient

Especially "normal people"

Pyromanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Nov 2018, 10:54 pm

Hey man, take it from an Engineering major- friends and relationships in college aren't really all that important. It's all overhyped, but the truth is that you are not there to make friends or to get into a relationship. You are there to WORK WORK WORK, and if you are a person that does not like working, it can be very hard. But, if you like the subject you are majoring in and would like to make something of yourself in it, I say forget about all the social stuff and just immerse yourself in your studies. This diligence will make you invaluable in a job. Yes it's true that networking is also important. If I were you I'd stick to the clubs you're in, if you really want more friends maybe step out of your shoes a bit and go to more of their events, or reach out to the people in them. Consider joining orgs more catered to your hobbies or major if you aren't in any already. Hell, if there is a professional fraternity there for your major you could even do that to make friends (I emphasize PROFESSIONAL because social fraternities are a waste of time and a distraction from work, professional fraternities expose you to people who could teach you something and relate to more.)

Anyways don't give up, and good luck.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2018, 12:28 am

Students that have friends and relationships, and join clubs, are not,. necessarily , adding value to university

:mrgreen:

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2018, 5:38 am

Like Kraftiekortie said, the university needs to add value to you, not the other way around.

I didn't make any friends in undergrad myself. If you don't like socializing, then don't. If you do, what makes you not want to socialize in the clubs you're part of?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2018, 9:04 pm

You do not need to add value to your school, any more than you need to add value to McDonald's when you eat a big Mac, fries , milkshake