Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Orion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2018, 10:55 am

I'm going to start college in the fall of 2019. I'll be 17 years old at that point, but I'll be starting as a junior. Should I tell my peers that I'm younger than them? I don't want it to be awkward or for them to feel like I'm just a kid or whatever, I'm not always great at knowing what would or would not be awkward. I also don't love the idea of lying, in the event that someone directly asks how old I am.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 6:54 pm

You must be an amazingly smart kid.

I wouldn't lie about my age, if I were you. I'd, instead, be proud of what I've accomplished in such a short time.

Do you know what you will major in?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 8:18 pm

You'll be alright. People don't care all that much, honestly. I started a different degree recently and people think I'm their age, lol.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

15 May 2018, 9:27 am

Don't volunteer your age, but don't deliberately conceal it either. Bringing it up could be seen as pride, or even as trying to prove something.

There will be, as always, people who are happy for your success and people threatened by it.

Antigone2J
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2018, 3:12 pm

I had to deal with the same problem, since I started college with 16.
Now when I am graduating, I still have a bad feeling about explaining people why I am two or three years younger than anyone else in my grade.

Honestly, You shouldn't mention it if you don't have to.
I try to avoid mentioning anything related to age in a conversation, so that most of the people don't even ask me about my age. If it happens though, I consider if the person I am talking is just a temporary acquaintance, whom I will probably never see again. In that case, I tell them that I am three years older than I really am (even if I hate lying).
If a friend or someone I spend more time with asks me, I tell them my real age, since I think that they would discover it later anyway. I always attempt to act modestly so that nobody feels threatened or ashamed because of me. In addition, if you are in a good college, many of your colleagues will be probably really smart too and will have sympathy towards you.

I understand your worries about being labeled as weird or conceited, especially if you are an aspie too... But believe me, most of the people don't think that much about it if you aren't arrogant and reminding them all the time. My age was never a topic of a discussion for more than five minutes. :D

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2018, 4:08 pm

Don't lie. People value integrity (particularly in this day and age), and the lack of it will corrode your soul.
Work hard, don't worry, have fun.

lylamorris
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2018, 5:02 am

Doesn't matter if you reveal your real age. In fact, it is good that your friends can learn something from you. So don't get so panic and go ahead. Be proud of it.