Anyone else hate school projects?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

The 42nd Doctor
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2018, 11:45 pm

I currently have four projects (two for AP French, one for chemistry, and one for algebra II) and will get assigned another one for AP world history on Monday. My French teacher is utterly obsessed with projects and hands them out at any opportunity, we get assigned a project once a month for AP world history, and one every nine weeks for algebra II; the rest of my teachers assing them whenever they feel like it.

I absolutely loathe them. We have to work on groups most of the time, which is uncomfortable as I don't trust other people to do a good job, and even when we can work individually, the work load attached is generally too much for one person (who has a million other projects and assignments at the same time), so I suffer either way. Ever since my school got really into the whole "engaged learning" deal, the amount of projects assigned skyrocketed.

I much prefer to study and take an exam than make a project (teachers often assign projects in place of tests, but they are generally accompanying them). I don't understand why my AP teachers in particular are so fond towards them considering that they don't exactly give out projects at university, which AP classes supposedly prepare you for.

salamander132
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2019, 12:09 am

I feel the same way about group projects. While others can theoretically contribute a great deal, I find myself not trusting them to complete their sections the right way. Because of this, I find myself delegating tasks to the other group members to ensure the maximum about of correctness. It does get very tiring.
I took French throughout High school and college and have my minor in it, and the only thing that got me through discussions was picking out a few people that I knew were in previous French classes of mine who had relatively open personalities with which I could engage. Luckily for me, many of my French professors encouraged small group discussions, so that while I was unable to speak where the whole class would listen, I could contribute to my small group of people I felt comfortable with.

SarahOnTheMoon
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2019, 4:29 pm

Yes because people suck. And I've gotten 0s because someone in my group said I didn't do any work when I did my fair share.

Teacher was an as*hole too and I told him what happened gotta retake the class now.
People are unreliable and untrustworthy I understand you 100 percent.

Toaster_fire
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm

It all depends on who I am working with. In my experience (I know a lot of people are not in this case), most of my classes have the assignments as optional group work. I have a friend in most of my classes. Me and her work very well together. But most of my experiences with group work, outside of our collaborations, were not that good.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 5:42 am

I disliked group projects in school; (A), I don't work or play well with others, and (B) I absolutely loathe the idea that my grade is in any way dependent upon the efforts of some semi-literate slacker(s).

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Feb 2019, 4:21 pm

Sorry to tell you that I had to do a bunch of group projects at my university, mostly in 3rd and 4th year. I’m in Canada though so it might be different where you are.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2019, 8:38 pm

school projects are just a lot of work.

groupwork. precious lil "people" don't do what they are supposed to do. they don't show up. they blame me for doing "nothing".

i would rather do the whole thing myself than interact with those lil dipshits.

samuelR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Mar 2019, 10:13 am

Oh, I hate them with a burning passion. I often use [url=https.com/] not to get my work to be written from the scratch. They also offer proofreading service. Thus, the work is completely mine, only it is edited by the expert. I think that is a great chance to improve your academic performance.

Last edited by B19 on 12 Dec 2019, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

brendann
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2019, 10:49 am

Hi, Many students fed up with their projects especially writing assignments, After long study and research found this platform([url]https:[/url]) about online essay writing service which helps me to get rid of this concern and achieved higher grades in my assignments. Are there any other services where you are uncomfort?

Last edited by B19 on 12 Dec 2019, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2019, 12:44 am

I hate writing papers. I would rather take an exam than write a paper. Papers are the worst because you have to cite everything and come up with something to write about.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 11:28 am

Honestly I loved school projects. Guess Im weird that way :mrgreen:

Solo projects are great because they're usually easy but a really good grade boost. Some of them were really fun too!
In my AP World History, we got to make cakes. I made the Palace of Versailles (complete with an actual castle and elaborate garden) my first semester, and the continent of Africa (with the different borders from the Scramble for Africa) in my second. I won a class award for my palace one 8)
In both AP World and US History we painted ceiling tiles. The best ones actually go on display in the classroom. They're a pain in the butt to paint, but it was a really fun project. You could pick anything from history. It didnt even have to be something boring from class. For World I did Bucephalus (cause Im a horse nerd) and for US I did Disney Animation Studios.
I love to write, so essays and long papers were never a problem for me either. Science is mostly building models and such. (ugh Ive done that 'build a cell' one way too many times) The only projects I really didnt like, were the ones where we had to do a video. Or the AP US one where we had to dress up as a historical figure. Or the AP World one with the puppet show. But those arent really 'typical' projects.
Whats your Algebra project? I wish my math classes had projects. I love math.

Group projects arent as bad as youd think. I usually sit down and see where my other members are at, and then give them pieces of the project Im confident they can do (even if its a really easy or small part). Then you can focus on the part that you're doing and make sure you really nail it.
It also depends on if its graded individually or not. Individually, you dont need to worry about the others. So long as they do something, your grade wont be affected. And if its graded all together, then make sure you do your part well and then check on the others. If one person isnt pulling their own weight, talk to the other members and then maybe the teacher if needed. Or just have a backup if they fall through.
If these are all AP classes than you'll be fine. Most other AP kids probably are thinking the same things you are. That the others arent going to do a good job. Yall are in AP for a reason, and Im sure they are just as capable of doing the work. AP teachers like to give projects because 1) they think they're more fun and 2) its easier than a test. AP test averages are low, and that doesnt look good on the teacher or the students. Giving projects as test grades is the teachers way of doing something nice.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 3:14 pm

leahbear wrote:
Sorry to tell you that I had to do a bunch of group projects at my university, mostly in 3rd and 4th year. I’m in Canada though so it might be different where you are.

Not just Canada, projects in classes are semi-common. I had at least 10 university classes with group projects and this was in an engineering major.