Does a checkmark mean "right" or "wrong" in your school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2019, 9:11 am

When I was in elementary school, a checkmark meant "correct" and an "X" meant incorrect. Then when I got to middle and high school, a checkmark meant "incorrect" which really confused me for a while. When I got to college, the convention went back to checkmark = correct and X = incorrect which seems like the most common convention.

Never understood why some instructors or teachers used a checkmark to indicate something is incorrect, especially when it's also used to indicate something is correct in most other places.

Kang03
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2019, 12:34 am

I guess it really depends on the individual, region or countries.
In my cases, most of my teachers used a checkmark for incorrect answers and my math teacher who tutored me after school for 3 years used it for incorrect answers caused solely by calculative mistakes.
But I personally prefer using it for correct answers and use X for incorrect ones.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 6:28 am

Always a checkmark for correct answers, an “x” for incorrect answers for me in the US.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2019, 4:39 pm

A check mark means right at my school and X means incorrect. I have some teachers who will checkmark correct responses and not mark incorrect responses.

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2019, 10:19 pm

ConverseFan wrote:
A check mark means right at my school and X means incorrect. I have some teachers who will checkmark correct responses and not mark incorrect responses.

From what I've seen, it seems "checkmark = incorrect" seems to be a Midwest type of thing.. I went to high school in Michigan and my teachers were appalled at the idea of using a checkmark to indicate that something is correct. Then when I went to college in California, nearly all of my profs used "checkmark = correct". I find it oddly amusing that such a conflicting sets of conventions can exist in the same country.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Jul 2019, 8:41 am

ConverseFan wrote:
A checkmark has meant Right & an X meant wrong at all the skewls I went to. That's the way my mom did it too, she's a retired teacher. However most of my teachers would mark the wrong 1s with an X & not bother to check the right 1s. I seldom got checkmarks thou even when they did bother to mark the right answers

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition