Oh great, now I have to face another boring summer...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 11:50 am

A lot of people are excited about the end of the school year, and we have just broken up. I don't really care though, and summers are really boring to me unless you're going on holiday. I'm not, and all I mainly do in the summer is just sit on the computer doing what I normally do. I will invite my friends though. I am a bit depressed in the Social Skills lessons as the teacher often discusses about how I will have friends in later life. I don't think I will have many friends that older, and I got a bit upset when I saw lots of people hugging and saying "Have a good summer" because even though I have 2 AS friends (which I am proud of having) I still don't have much of a social life.

Does anybody else hate the summer holidays?

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 12:05 pm

Usually I go on vacation during my summers off, so they're good most of the time... Except this year I'm stuck at home and my parents are going around Europe for two weeks, which would be fine if I could drive, but since I don't have my permit yet I can't really go anywhere. So yeah, my summer off is probably going to suck.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2006, 2:00 pm

Barring visiting family, it is thirteen years since I did anything other than holiday on my own. And that wasn't a great success.

I slowly discovered that, for me, holidays with people tended to be more hard work than fun. Despite the good bits, and the fact that some holidays need a grouip of people (Canal narrowboats, for example)

Now I've had a diagnosis of AS, I wonder if trips with sufficiently like-minded people might be different, or whether our sensitivity to differences would make that a bad idea.

Anyone for a trip to The House on the Rock, Spring Green, Wisconsin, just after Labour Day?

Rosacoke
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jul 2006, 4:51 pm

You may think this is a stupid suggestion - but here goes, anyway.
Find a place to volunteer. Bag cans for the needy, dish-out soup for the hungry, weed the garden at a park, hold a cat at the vets, . . . etc. Those who run volunteer organizations tend to be tolerant of all kinds of people, the demands are minimal, the hours are flexible, and if you hate it, you can quit and try another. It will give you something to do, get you out of the house, keep you from being too bored, and might even help you make some new friends.
Volunteer organizations are everywhere - find them on-line, through the local government directory, via church groups, or just show-up at the veterinarian's or at a local school or senior center.

EaglesRNo1

14 Jul 2006, 8:24 pm

If you're old enough to get a job somewhere, do that. You might as well sell your time to somebody if you have nothing better to do with it. I hate the work I do at McDonald's. With or without it, I'd be bored during the summer, so I might as well take part in boredom that I get paid for.

mikesty
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2006, 2:42 am

guy at the top wrote:
...as the teacher often discusses about how I will have friends in later life. I don't think I will have many friends that older...

Same thing for me. I get that a lot, that things will be better - yet I'm being very sincere and realistic and just can't see me becoming this social maestro in the years to come. Also, a lot of girls say this:

"Don't worry Mike, you'll find the right girl some day! [as long as it isn't me] "

It's like people mean well, but you can't help but be upset at that because you so strongly feel that they're wrong.

Quote:
... and I got a bit upset when I saw lots of people hugging and saying "Have a good summer" because even though I have 2 AS friends (which I am proud of having) I still don't have much of a social life. ...

I'm glad to hear you have AS friends. I also find it funny though, that I am the same way - At the end of this year I had very few yearbook signatures. I got almost no hugs or goodbyes or anything. I still have only gone out and "chilled" a few times if that.

Quote:
If you're old enough to get a job somewhere, do that. You might as well sell your time to somebody if you have nothing better to do with it. I hate the work I do at McDonald's. With or without it, I'd be bored during the summer, so I might as well take part in boredom that I get paid for.

Good outlook. I disagree personally, because I can always find something to do in my life. Even if it's obscure work like cleaning something. If I'm tired of my electronics and mechanics, I'll go downstairs and clean the kitchen ... and appliances... out of the blue. Why, just last week I gave the old toaster a good cleaning. I wasn't going to make toast in it otherwise.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2006, 11:55 am

It is the same way for me, but I have planned full days, so I'm not too worried about anything this summer.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2006, 5:54 pm

deep-techno wrote:
A lot of people are excited about the end of the school year, and we have just broken up. I don't really care though, and summers are really boring to me unless you're going on holiday. I'm not, and all I mainly do in the summer is just sit on the computer doing what I normally do. I will invite my friends though. I am a bit depressed in the Social Skills lessons as the teacher often discusses about how I will have friends in later life. I don't think I will have many friends that older, and I got a bit upset when I saw lots of people hugging and saying "Have a good summer" because even though I have 2 AS friends (which I am proud of having) I still don't have much of a social life.

Does anybody else hate the summer holidays?

I don't hate the summers that much but i sometimes feel like you do because their isn't much people to go out with etc.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 1:48 pm

I once had a very boring summer which was that on 2004. I was unemployed, I didn't have much of a great social life meaning that I had no best friends or anyone to hang out w/ throughout that summer. Everyone was busy w/ jobs n stuff. All I did that summer was take drivers ed and lessons, workout and played my Xbox at home, and spend 2 weeks at my uncle's in Virginia. I live in a very quiet area in my town. This summer I am again unemployed because the job searching process wasnt that easy and have no friends to hang out w/. However, I'm taking hip hop dance lessons and doin some volunteering which is very cool. I just wanted to get outside and do something.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 2:53 pm

I do like the summer a bit, a lot more than 2005 as I didn't have any friends. Now I have two friends who I invite over sometimes, and on top of that I'll get to stay with relatives for a few days.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 5:47 pm

:roll:

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 8:28 am

That's good, at least things are kind of on the up for you, except last summer.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 11:28 am

Jamie06 wrote:
That's good, at least things are kind of on the up for you, except last summer.

However, I'm not going abroad this year. :(

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 6:01 am

I liked going abroad, went to futerventura whatever you call it, it was really good but too hot.

Max_David
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2007, 1:27 am

Well, the Summer is a good break from the school year, but it does get boring for me. I usually end up spending time on the computer and thinking about stuff. I think about the meaning of life, and my goals. I actually end up learning a lot about myself, but I still feel sad because I feel bored.

Asby
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 7:28 am

Same here :lol: