Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 7:51 am

No degree, could cope academically, couldn’t cope emotionally and socially with educational establishments.

Lowly jobs within local library services for most of past 16 years.

There are never too many books.

I hope I can be surrounded by books for the rest of my working life - they give me energy the same way friends give extroverts energy (I’m guessing).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 7:54 am

My part-time job is circulation clerk at a university library.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 8:04 am

Master's in architecture, work as an architect.

No other tertiary education and no other job experience. Well, except for sorting suits for two weeks thirteen years ago. Would love to tell you about my hobbies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 8:16 am

Architecture is cool!

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 8:42 am

Would hope so, I've kind of lost my mojo the last few years. My wife and I went through a lot of trouble to have a child and now that I'm living with a 3 month old baby I'm struggling to see the value in buildings. But hey, I'm just 35 so plenty of time to find the spark again ... maybe ... ?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 10:45 am

If we didn't have well-designed buildings, we wouldn't have civilization----period!

Did you go to Cooper Union?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 10:53 am

1986 wrote:
Would hope so, I've kind of lost my mojo the last few years. My wife and I went through a lot of trouble to have a child and now that I'm living with a 3 month old baby I'm struggling to see the value in buildings. But hey, I'm just 35 so plenty of time to find the spark again ... maybe ... ?

Congrats on the birth of your little one!

I'm on Long Term Disability after an exhausting career in academia, but I can retire in June. Not sure if I will or not.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

BS. MS. and PhD in Biology. Also associates in nursing, and am RN licensed to practice in two states.

I have had a million jobs. Never made it in academia, although I did a lot of adjunct teaching of biology, anatomy, microbiology, ecology, etc.

Spent quite a bit of time as a hospice nurse.

Then stumbled into social work. I have had my own business for over 20 years now...social work is privatized in my state. The state keeps changing the rules, making it harder and harder to do the work and cutting budgets and services for people in the program.

I am trying so hard to retire.

Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2022, 7:02 pm

Quote:
If we didn't have well-designed buildings, we wouldn't have civilization----period!

Did you go to Cooper Union?

That's a nice way of putting it. Something to ponder about.

I considered Cooper Union for my master's, but in the end went to London and AA school.

Cooper Union's academic center building by Morphosis is quite something. When I get the opportunity to visit NYC, I sure want to have a look at it. You have a great many interesting buildings, both old and new.

I did quite well in London and perhaps thing would've been different if I had stayed there, or at least in "the West". I went one step too far and thought I could make it big in Tokyo. I arrived without knowing the language or much of the customs in 2015 and got kicked out of my first job b/c of a meltdown (after working 100h weeks for about a month). Fast forward to 2022 and I did get two projects built in Tokyo and China respectively. Now I work 09:00-18:00 with no overtime and a decent salary. I had to shift down at least two gears in order to get through fertility treatment, and now I'm wary of going back to "the grind" because I kind of enjoy my newfound time, freedom, and of course my little one.

Quote:
Congrats on the birth of your little one!

I'm on Long Term Disability after an exhausting career in academia, but I can retire in June. Not sure if I will or not.

Much thanks!

If you retire, I hope you get a good retirement deal. I don't know how it is to work in academia but I imagine it can be just as competitive as the business world, albeit in different ways.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 2:54 pm

BA, MA (Cantab), MSc, all in Economics.
Work as an economist.
Increasingly worried about burnout at this point in my life.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2022, 4:51 pm

I have a small kiosk near the swimming pool ladder at the local ywca. When the women exit the pool, I run my fingers along the bikini bottoms to ensure both cheeks are covered by the swim suit material. Weekends are my busiest times. When the g-strings was a fad, they laid me off but have since rehired me.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2022, 8:05 pm

I have a degree in kids nursing. A terrible choice for me and I have never practiced since graduation a few years ago. A very stressful job and you need to be good with difficult people. I started before my diagnosis so I thought I'd be able to learn the social skills as I went along lol.

I work as a general operative in a factory. It sucks, is very repetitive and doesn't pay well, but I don't have to deal with the public at least. It's loud so a lot of my co-workers aren't bothered that I'm not chatty and no one bothers me as long as the work is done. It's also close by, which is handy.

I'd like to get out of here but scared about wasting time/money on another degree I won't use

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 8:57 pm

txfz1 wrote:
I have a small kiosk near the swimming pool ladder at the local ywca. When the women exit the pool, I run my fingers along the bikini bottoms to ensure both cheeks are covered by the swim suit material. Weekends are my busiest times. When the g-strings was a fad, they laid me off but have since rehired me.

Lol, that's important work you're doing. I would've thought there would be extra work to ensure the g-strings were fitted correctly. It makes no sense for them to lay you off during that time.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2022, 5:13 pm

Went to college but crashed and burned. I was a programmer and a bit of electronic tech for a Formula Student team.
Before during and after college, been a computer tech. Tired of it, I like computers, but repetitive task, low pay and dealing with people... Specially that last part is what gets me. I hate buffoons. Also been a network administrator for my own company for a little while, still doesn't pay, but no customers to talk to, which is nice. Planing on keep studying and doing side projects but 100% NOT college, felt like a huge scam.

I do have a bunch of extra academia titles, from a couple of language certifications to a few motorsport certs. Not that any of that helped so far.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 5:15 pm

I work at a uniform cleaning, factory-esque place.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 6:47 pm

SpaceMartian, If you can find and get any professional certifications (for computer-related stuff that interests you) it might improve the pay prospects. (As does experience on noted on a resume.)

P.S. A degree in something like Computer Science or IT also looks good.