Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 6:41 pm

https://youtu.be/G7RaGqe58qc

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:18 am

I am planning on homeschooling my kids for all of their schooling.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:30 am

I feel like it's good for some people. Not so good for others. I believe kids should be around other kids, rather than isolated.

I understand there are some schools which are really bad for kids. I guess I would enter that into the equation as to whether to homeschool any child I might have.

Frankly, I wouldn't have made it had I been homeschooled.

I'm not "ideologically" against homeschooling---but I don't believe it's a panacea, either.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 27 Jan 2023, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 8:33 am

Tried homeschooling my kid for a couple of years but it didn't work for us. She actively refuses to learn anything from us (possible ODD) and it was very destructive to our relationship, the constant arguing. That, and despite there being quite a big homeschooling community around us we struggled to fit in with them socially and get her regular exposure to other children. Ultimately she needed to spend more time with people who weren't her parents. She actually asked to go to school in the end and we were glad of it. She does well there and actually does prefer the highly structured school day to the freeform of the weekend.

Its fine to plan to homeschool, and some kids will thrive but sometimes it isn't the right thing for the kid.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:29 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Tried homeschooling my kid for a couple of years but it didn't work for us. She actively refuses to learn anything from us (possible ODD) and it was very destructive to our relationship, the constant arguing. That, and despite there being quite a big homeschooling community around us we struggled to fit in with them socially and get her regular exposure to other children. Ultimately she needed to spend more time with people who weren't her parents. She actually asked to go to school in the end and we were glad of it. She does well there and actually does prefer the highly structured school day to the freeform of the weekend.

Its fine to plan to homeschool, and some kids will thrive but sometimes it isn't the right thing for the kid.

I doubt I will be able to afford private school for all my kids so that is a big part of it for me.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:35 am

I know how you feel. The thought of sending mine into the system filled me with dread. The thought of her going into secondary education still fills me with dread.

But kids are funny things. They don't always do what you want/expect them to. You have to be a bit flexible. Not easy for me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:50 am

The public school system is a roll of the dice.

There are very good public schools....and there are very bad public schools.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 9:55 am

I struggle not to let my personal experiences colour my thinking. I went to 13 different public schools and and I didn't like any of them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 10:00 am

When I went to public schools, I was academically okay, but always on the verge of getting kicked out. Not for violent tendencies, really. More for disrupting classes by calling out the answers to questions.

I was lucky my mother was able to get scholarships for me to attend a high school for "gifted underachievers."

I always have to remember that "public school" in the UK is usually different than "public school" in the US, though I believe that has changed to some extent.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 10:50 am

Yes, I adapted 'public' school for the American sense of the word, because I believe most people here live in US. I was mostly in what we call primary school and then comprehensive - i.e. free, government run schools

I only ever went to one of what we would call a 'public school' - i.e. a fancy fee-paying school. I didn't care for that much either.

My disrupted education had nothing to do with my personal abilities or behaviour, I just had a family with a bunch of undiagnosed neurodiversities who couldn't stay in one place for long and didn't really understand why pulling kids out of school every six months or so isn't a great idea. I just learned to keep a low profile and coasted through school getting grades in that little window where you're not singled out for extra help but not really achieving anything either.

I am looking into scholarships for my daughter in case I can get her into one of the better schools. She's super smart but struggles with focus, so we'll see.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 11:02 am

I wish you excellent luck with that.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 11:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Ya Texas does not have good schools where I live.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 11:53 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Texas seems like a pretty wealthy place, does none of that money make it into the public school system?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:23 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Texas seems like a pretty wealthy place, does none of that money make it into the public school system?

Texas does not tax income so school districts reply primarily on property taxes with little state funding there. If you have a property rich community, then the schools get money. If the community has low property and income, then the schools are starved for funding. This occurs in quite a few wealthy states in the USA.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:31 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The whole property tax and public school funding thing is a huge controversy in Texas.Schools in Texas are funded by property taxes since Texas has no income tax. The schools waste a lot of their limited funds on big football stadiums so football/sports not education is really the priority of the public high schools in terms of funding.Rich school districts have to give their tax money to poor schools via the "Robin Hood" system.Oil income funds some big public universities like UT Austin and Texas A&M.The state lottery revenue is used to fund education too which is ironic if you think about it because the schools teach math and the lottery is dependent on people who cant do math.There are so many bond elections that are put up to a vote and they get passed most of the time.I vote no every single time.Sorry for the essay lol.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2023, 12:33 pm

demeus wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Texas does not tax income so school districts reply primarily on property taxes with little state funding there. If you have a property rich community, then the schools get money. If the community has low property and income, then the schools are starved for funding. This occurs in quite a few wealthy states in the USA.

I live in a wealthy area and the schools are starved for money because we have to send our taxes to the poor schools in other parts of the state.This is called the Robin Hood Plan.