14 Dec 2008, 6:14 am

School, you speak words of evil.

*Draws a cross, on my body.*

hehe :lol:

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

01 Jan 2009, 9:48 pm

School has GREATLY contributed to my strong hatred and distrust of people. Seriously, the s**t I had to endure as a child/teenager has caused me to despise (with a burning passion) just about everyone except my family and the few good friends that I do have. And because of all that I went through, I either socialize on my own terms, or not at all.
People suck.
And my research into AS/history/politics/human nature has only made me hate people even more than I already did before my diagnosis.
Throughout most of my time in school, I was teased, bullied, ignored, ostracized, humiliated from time to time, treated like an idiot from time to time, had to put up with incompetent teachers as well as poorly-run school administrations - and I was generally just s**t upon by students and staff alike in more ways than one. I barely learned anything until I was put into the nonpublic schooling system (for all the good it did me - at least I have my diploma). The American education system as a whole is nothing but a f**king joke.
The United States REALLY needs to take a few hints from other countries in order to improve its own sh***y education system.

With that said, I am truly thankful that my parents decided to homeschool my three siblings - they're MUCH better off now than I was at their age. And screw the 'lack of socialization' aspect - the vast majority of people are simply not worth dealing with anyhow. And whatever social skills my siblings need to learn, will likely be taught to them by my parents. Hopefully their journey to an education won't turn them into bitter, cynical and hateful monsters like me.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2009, 10:01 am

EnigmaticPhilosophy wrote:
School has GREATLY contributed to my strong hatred and distrust of people. Seriously, the sh** I had to endure as a child/teenager has caused me to despise (with a burning passion) just about everyone except my family and the few good friends that I do have. And because of all that I went through, I either socialize on my own terms, or not at all.
People suck.
And my research into AS/history/politics/human nature has only made me hate people even more than I already did before my diagnosis.
Throughout most of my time in school, I was teased, bullied, ignored, ostracized, humiliated from time to time, treated like an idiot from time to time, had to put up with incompetent teachers as well as poorly-run school administrations - and I was generally just sh** upon by students and staff alike in more ways than one. I barely learned anything until I was put into the nonpublic schooling system (for all the good it did me - at least I have my diploma). The American education system as a whole is nothing but a f**king joke.
The United States REALLY needs to take a few hints from other countries in order to improve its own sh***y education system.

With that said, I am truly thankful that my parents decided to homeschool my three siblings - they're MUCH better off now than I was at their age. And screw the 'lack of socialization' aspect - the vast majority of people are simply not worth dealing with anyhow. And whatever social skills my siblings need to learn, will likely be taught to them by my parents. Hopefully their journey to an education won't turn them into bitter, cynical and hateful monsters like me.

EnigmaticPhilosophy

I am with you on this. I want to be able to socialize on my own terms but I don't think NTs understand me when I speak. My fiance says I use too many big words towards people and I like to keep talking about the same thing for a long time. The problem is is that I can go into depth about that one thing that most NTs cannot. To me, NTs talk about nothing. They talk about stuff that to me seems pointless and irrelevent. I mean you can't even keep your hand in a certain way that is comfortable to you or they think you're a ret*d. This tells me they do not look beyond the surface of things.

I really am ready to withdraw from society myself and just to most of my socialization online and mainly with you guys.

roadGames
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2009, 3:04 pm

I really enjoy learning about things in my major and actually like what I'm studying enough to want to pursue graduate studies in my field. However, I think the entire post-secondary education system needs to be revised in the states. For one, many gen ed courses need to go. Taking 4 semesters of academic Spanish (I call it 'academic Spanish' because you will get laughed at if you speak with native speakers in the archaic way they taught you Spanish) is a total waste of money and only serves as something to keep the foreign language teaching assistants occupied. What I'd do is replace a fair amount of the gen ed credits with credits within your major much like Brown does. What's even worse is when the gen ed professors take their courses seriously when it's obvious that the students really don't give a s**t.

Huskywolf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2009, 2:00 pm

I definitely hate school-always have. Most people I hear about who like school seem to like it because they can talk to friends. Since I don't have any, I can't even enjoy that. I have a lot of rants about school but I'll save most of them for later, but here are a few.

One of them is that my school focuses far too much on group work. I can't learn that way-I'll get things done much faster on my own and I'm too scared to even try to interact with others if I'm not given any warning a few days ahead or so (and even then, I usually can't). In one class I got a low grade because I did not ask questions aloud during class or participate in the discussions. WTF? If I score high on tests, pay attention during class, and do good on the homework why should that matter? And people already think I'm stupid-I don't want to ask dumb questions just for the sake of asking questions in front of the entire class.

Another thing that happened kinda recently...well, I suck at English since I'm horrible at writing essays (and on the very rare occasion I'm actually interested in the topic enough to be inspired, the teachers don't like my writing style so I lose points) I don't usually do well in English unless I have a lot of time and can write at home. Well, one day I got a big surprise when my English teacher (who hates me because I "talk rudely" to her even though I'm usually just frustrated and not intending to be rude) was actually impressed by this essay I wrote (which I was really surprised about). I was feeling pretty good about that, until the teacher, because it was "such a good example of an essay" made me read the damn thing in front of the class! I mean...the one time I do something right, and she basically punishes me for it. From then on I tried to make my essays bland and not outstanding, but not bad either. I'd rather get a B or C then have to do that again.

I think that I am fairly smart, but in some classes the teachers don't teach in a way I can learn well. I don't know why, but I absolutely can not take notes if the teacher's just talking. I have no idea what to write down and by the time I write a few words I've forgotten the rest of the sentence because my teacher has said something else. I need things written on the chalkboard to take notes. Also, when taking notes from books, I really have no idea what's important or what's not. I can read the entire chapter, but I can never figure out what parts of it I'm supposed to memorize.

I'm also mildly annoyed with the fact that I really don't get tired until 3 AM (IF that) and I can't force myself to sleep earlier. At least I'm able to do my homework at night-I can't do it during the day because of all the noise my siblings and their friends (who are at our house all the freaking time!) make during the day. I do homework best when I'm alone, in the quiet, and in the dark (with only dim lighting). That's why it annoys me when I tell a teacher I didn't understand something in the homework and they tell me I could have called another student and asked them. Like I know anyone's phone number! And I doubt they'd be pleased with me calling them at midnight on a school night, and most of them treat me like I'm an idiot who needs to learn really slowly anyways. I'm not an idiot, I can learn very quickly if things are explained to me well!

So yes...this is my rant. I'll post more later-it's a good way to let out some frustration.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:39 pm

Huskywolf wrote:
I really don't get tired until 3 AM

This isn't the key point of your rant, but OMG, me too! On non-schoolnights, I get up at noon and go to bed at around three am, cos I like being the only person awake in the house. Plus that's when good stuff is on TV.

y es como un semestre"

Huskywolf

08 Jan 2009, 3:48 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Huskywolf wrote:

This isn't the key point of your rant, but OMG, me too! On non-schoolnights, I get up at noon and go to bed at around three am, cos I like being the only person awake in the house. Plus that's when good stuff is on TV.

Yeah that's the same with me-I love being awake at night because the house is quiet and there's no one around-I can draw or write stories with no one to disturb me. :D

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2009, 3:55 pm

Huskywolf wrote:
Huskywolf wrote:

Yeah that's the same with me-I love being awake at night because the house is quiet and there's no one around-I can draw or write stories with no one to disturb me. :D

Yeah, it's cool. People say I waste my life sleeping the mornings away, but I make up for that at night, and that's the BEST time!

y es como un semestre"

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 1:54 am

Huskywolf wrote:
Huskywolf wrote:

Yeah, it's cool. People say I waste my life sleeping the mornings away, but I make up for that at night, and that's the BEST time!

Gina, I agree with you night time is the best time.

TheEvolutionOfLife
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2009, 6:32 am

WE HATE SCHOOL!! !!
WE HATE SCHOOL!! !!
WE HATE SCHOOL!! !!
WE HATE SCHOOL!! !!

Rock & Roll

prf
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Feb 2009, 12:49 am

I have definitely hated the schooling I've received as well. It is frustrating being told what to learn and at what pace to learn it at. Also the enforced discipline is stupid and pointless - formal wear, tucking in shirts, not being allowed to talk while in class for 90% of the time.

The administrators of the large high school I went to were very nasty and two faced; sometimes they would say good morning to you and other times they would shriek at the top of their voices about some very minor so-called discipline infringement. What a load of BS!

On top of this I also did not manage to build any long standing friendships with any of the students at the school. So I think any benefit of being around other people at school was lost on me. Home schooling would have been a better option for me. I think that I should rely more on general resources like libraries and the internet, than on institutional learning in the future.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2009, 11:48 pm

Yep, I also think I wasted so many years in schools. Dropping out from high school would make no difference to me, since I think I can learn more outside school. I am basically just doing assignments and listening to crap in school and that's sad, isn't it?

What makes it worse --- when our teachers are moronic, most of us are unable to overcome it... And we do not have the complete learning experience due to the limitations of the school. Sigh, I always enjoy hiolidays in which I can learn at my own pace... I hope there are 11 months of holidays each year, and the only month in school will be only assesments for the next level...:P

d057
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2009, 10:32 pm

i hate my high school! The kids are extremely rude to me, and the teachers cant teach worth s**t. They play favorites with all the rude preppy students, and the only thing they know how to do is babysit the immature kids.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2009, 3:24 pm

I ****ing hate school! I told my parents that I wanted to drop out of school and become an author, but guess what? They say I can't do that! EVEN IF THE SCHOOL PROGRAM I'M AT RIGHT NOW IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE COMPULSORY!

Society: "You don't have to attend this school. It's voluntarily."
Me: "All right, I'll just drop out and shape my own future."
Society: "LOL no you can't, because everyone else is attending school at this age and you will be failure for the rest of your life if you don't, since you are courageous enough to be different from everyone else!"
Me: "WTF."

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Feb 2009, 4:26 pm

How much is a membership?

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 7:08 am

Henriksson wrote:
I ****ing hate school! I told my parents that I wanted to drop out of school and become an author, but guess what? They say I can't do that! EVEN IF THE SCHOOL PROGRAM I'M AT RIGHT NOW IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE COMPULSORY!

Society: "You don't have to attend this school. It's voluntarily."
Me: "All right, I'll just drop out and shape my own future."
Society: "LOL no you can't, because everyone else is attending school at this age and you will be failure for the rest of your life if you don't, since you are courageous enough to be different from everyone else!"
Me: "WTF."

Yep, that's absolute BS.

y es como un semestre"