I have decided to change my major

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

08 Mar 2008, 2:11 am

um...MINOR in the foreign languages. i think that there are some really amazing urban planning programs (and companies which will hire you) around the raleigh-durham-chapel hill area. not to mention, that area is awesome anyway.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 7:03 pm

Tim, if you want to consider Portland Community College, they have classes in geography,
but if you want to find out more about urban planning emphasis, email an adviser.

As for foreign languages, PCC offers classes in Spanish, German, Russian, and Japanese.

You will need 92 transferable credits to be admitted to Portland State.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 7:11 pm

I think I will pretty much stay in Texas for school. Besides, I have only a year and a half left anyway.

There were also financial reasons for changing my major. It would have taken an extra semester to finish the geology degree, and the required summer field camp would have cost $3,000.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 2:51 am

Mikomi wrote:
Good for you Tim. Hopefully it will be a good fit for you.

I always wanted to work in medicine, but when I chose the hope of having a family (and knowing them) over years of medical school and long on-call hours, I gave up on the field entirely. I majored in Psychology, still a "help" field, but I just wasn't satisfied in my endeavor. When I found myself most fascinated with the more medical aspects of psych (i.e. EEGs, psychopharmacology) I realized my "heart" was still in medicine. I switched to a Liberal Arts major with a generous electives base and filled them with sciences. I graduated from that program in December and applied to the RN program. Now I feel as if I am on a path that I will be very happy with. If only I had realized this BEFORE I fulfilled all the psychology credits, lol!

College is partly about learning who you really are and what you really want. I wish you the best!

Good luck, Mikomi.
I've been an RN for 11 years and it is incredibly challenging for someone with AS. Every single day of my working life is a challenge. You've got to deal with so many people in incredibly difficult situations. It's emotionally exhausting most of the time. On the other hand, being in a helping profession has its own rewards that offset the social difficulties.

If I had it to do over again I would have gone into Public Health. BTW, I'm in the middle of my master's in community and public health nursing so I can teach and do research.