Part way through semester and plunging downward...

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 1:23 am

Well, it's happening AGAIN! :x

Here I am part way through the semester and I feel like my two computer classes (digital media-Illustrator & Photoshop, and Intro to Programming-ALICE) are totally screwed.

My last assignments for both classes are WAY overdue... actually I just dropped my latest assignment for DM into the computer at school, but we were supposed to design 5 logos and I only did three (although I tend to do more work than required on projects).

I walked out of my programming class today.. the instructor walked in, started writing all about chapter 5 on the board, said he had to run back to his office but we were supposed to start thinking about what he wrote on the board. I'm still struggling to get in my assignments (4a, b, c, d) from last week!, so when he left.. I left!

I was feeling SO FRUSTRATED! This is just like I was back at UAF! I'd get behind and when I'd go to class, they were moving on so I'd get all down on myself and just leave... or even quit the class all together which would result in an F or incomplete, and wasted time/money.

At least this time I could keep my wits about me and not totally walk out on school.
Part of this is due to the fact that this time I am:
1- accepting and understanding about my ADD/HD
2- in constant contact with my professors

I tried to work on one of my problems from today's class, after I walked out. I went to the computer lab, then to the library, but I was still so frustrated.
I finally walked back into class (we have class the first half then lab the second half) during lab hours and the instructor actually was able to sit with me and help me understand how to write the commands.
Thing is... I had already done it and didn't realize it... I showed him what I was working on and he said, "That's 4a right there! You did it.", but I was trying to take this little program WAY TOO FAR and with all that added stuff... I guess I forgot the basics.

I actually had to have him explain some things a few different ways until one of them finally clicked for me!
THANK GOODNESS FOR PATIENCE on my professor's part!
I kept expecting him to throw up his hands and say something like, "JUST READ THE DAMN BOOK!", or "Maybe you're not cut out to be a programmer!".

All my professors (I actually have two co-teaching the programming class but one was out today) keep saying I am doing really good work... when I get it in!
I have told them about my ADD/HD and how I DO NOT want it to be a crutch for me.

I just feel so INSANELY STUPID at times... it drives me crazy! :evil:

These past two weeks have been especially hard for me for several reasons and I have really wanted to just walk out on everything.

That was okay back when I was 20 and didn't have a child dependent upon me... or the 'retirement years' looming overhead so closely.
It was all fine to just walk out on a job, or school, pack up my truck and belongings that would fit in one load, then head off to new places and a new job.
I actually got really good at getting new jobs... hence the 40 I've had since I was 18!

But at 47, I cannot afford to be like this anymore.
Still... I get tempted!

Perhaps this should have been in the Haven, but since it was specifically about school, I put it here.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 6:55 am

Yeah, i feel ya. i was like this when I was in uni the first time. I just got back the second time and I am doing a lot better. Still a bit screwed up but at least I know about asperger's this time. I did find the following site interesting though:

http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/edp/ ... tions.html

specifically the "Towards Success with Apserger's" pdf file. I have taken some tips off of that and that has helped me immensely.

I was wondering... what programming language is "Alice"?? I've never heard of it before. We're doing JAVA at my uni.

fainting-goat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2008, 7:58 am

wsmac wrote:
I actually had to have him explain some things a few different ways until one of them finally clicked for me!
THANK GOODNESS FOR PATIENCE on my professor's part!
I kept expecting him to throw up his hands and say something like, "JUST READ THE DAMN BOOK!", or "Maybe you're not cut out to be a programmer!".

the bottom line is that you are paying for an education you are capable
of completing (otherwise you would not be admitted to the college).

demanding the help you need is vital.

most profs are happy to do what it takes to help, are flexible and can
figure out different strategies to help you get the material. but you
may have to ask. there are dolts, but don't let them get away with it.

while i didn't have the tips/services type resources available today
(mentioned by previous posters and elsewhere on WP) i did have faculty
that got me through the process and past my initial few semesters of
Ds and Fs. without those faculty i would be flipping burgers.

fG

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 11:10 am

Thanks you two!

I'll check out that link.

ALICE is a program designed to teach programming without having to write code.
It has a GUI that allows you to use pre-packaged code to construct your logic.
Here's a link... --->ALICE WEBSITE

It was developed at Carnegie Melon University and is maintained by the staff and students there.
It's free.

The problem I have is that I want to know what the heck is going on when I 'drag-and-drop' while creating a 'World' as they are called in Alice.
Without access to code, I just have to imagine what's happening.
It's not a bad way to learn, but I think that once I move onto JAVA or C++, etc., I will have to unlearn all the terms specific to ALICE and learn new terms for the real programming languages.

I learned that I really have to keep in contact with my instructors about class, assignments and where I am at grade-wise (as far as how my assignments are compared to what was sought).
I also have gone through a couple of semesters where I basically failed my classes, but actually felt like I learned alot about being a better student.

I have no idea what my grades are currently... don't really care... I just want to know that I am understanding the material correctly and can do the work assigned.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Part of this is due to the fact that this time I am:
1- accepting and understanding about my ADD/HD

ADD High Definition, coming to an Aspie near you!