Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Qaletaqa
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2008, 6:55 pm

Well when i was still goeing to school i bailed out at age of 14, and now i'm gonna go back to school because i don't have a degree in anything and can't find a job interesting enough without a degree.

The reason why i quited school at age of 14 is because several reasons, i got bullied by the teachers and other students, also the lessons were to boring because i already knew all the stuff they were teaching.

Then i volunteraly went to a mental hospital (does that sound bad?) for a year, where they diagnosed me incorrectly and they suggested a school wich i didn't fit into and i followed there suggestion and stayed in that school untill i turned 18 but i found out later that the people there were juvenile criminals mostly sent there by the juvenile court. The worst thing about that experience is that they didn't teach me anything that helped me at all and you don't get a degree in whatever you had learned.
I mostly stayed at home untill i was 20 and then went to Art school for a year and i bailed out again, i was following two classes and in the Mode and Fashion design class the teacher didn't like me and also 1 student (male) gave me the feeling he didn't like me at all because i think he felt threatened by me because i made it obvious to a female friend of him that i liked her, actually he said he didn't like me and also said i should act normal. After that i didn't feel good anymore in that school and i quited the second class to.

Now i'm at home again and it's starting to work on my nervs so i talked to my mother about it and we went asking around wich options i have. Now there is something like 2nd chance school for adults in belgium and so i should start that in September 2008 for maximum 3 years and minimum 1-2 years and after that 3 years in Ghent University.

But my question is : does anyone have more tips for me so i don't quit again ?

Things i'm looking into are :
- Goeing to meetings with people that have Autism to share experiences (The doctor that diagnosed me said it would be a good idea)
- Classes for learning social skills and body language (so i don't misunderstand people and they don't misunderstand me)

Thx for reading and take care.

the_incident
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2008, 12:01 pm

Qaletaqa wrote:

Quitting is a decision that you make. You can choose to quit or not quit.

But based on your description of why you quit school before, it seems like both times you had interpersonal problems. I suppose your two ideas for learning how to get along with people would be good ideas.

Qaletaqa
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2008, 1:56 pm

the_incident wrote:
Qaletaqa wrote:

Quitting is a decision that you make. You can choose to quit or not quit.

But based on your description of why you quit school before, it seems like both times you had interpersonal problems. I suppose your two ideas for learning how to get along with people would be good ideas.

Thx for that response.
I know quitting is my decision but it's hard when you don't have anyone that is willing to push you.

the_incident
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2008, 2:15 pm

If you need somebody to push you, well, that's what mothers are for :)

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 3:31 pm

i think the meetings would be an excellent idea. if you can find a support group of some sort who can encourage you to keep going and who can give you a place to vent it could help immensely. if the meetings don't provide that, then you can also look for some kind of support group in the school you're attending. they'll probably share similar experiences with you and are likely to be going through the same things as you are so you can provide mutual support.

other than that, just try to push through even when times get tough. i know it's really hard (hell i'm having trouble with that right now) but it's the only way you'll get through. school's usually boring but you've just got to remember why you're there in the first place.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:00 pm

Hello Qaletaqa,

Going voluntarily to that mental hospital was not strange, but a brave step to do. At least you had the courage and insight to your mistakes. At that age my insights were worse.

Those classes about body language and communication are a good idea indeed. I do not know if these topics are covered: presentation techniques and job interviews? I did presentation techniques and they helped me to learn that people that the content of your message is not the whole message, most people look at the form first! (that was difficult for me to understand).
The job interview techniques are good when you end your future education, I only had them on my new job (I can be put to work for different clients). If I had followed these techniques earlier life would have been a bit easier.

I do not know if adult schools in Belgium have clubs or something to join, but it could help to get integrated and have an obligation to go to school.

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2008, 10:42 pm

How about don't ever talk to anyone?

That's sort of what I do, and I'm never involved in any drama. I have a best friend (since middle school) that is always complaining to me about college drama and I get to laugh at her :)

But anyway, I wasn't trying to sound rude by saying that, but if you are encountering interpersonal problems just stop. being. interpersonal.

However it could be difficult maybe in your chosen field, I don't know, I'm pretty sure the art fields are much more 'social' than certain other fields that you can squeak by only answering a single question in class for a whole semester :)

Qaletaqa
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2008, 11:49 pm

Sry about the late answer but i was doeing some other things, hope you people don't mind.

DuceXcreW wrote:
How about don't ever talk to anyone?

That's sort of what I do, and I'm never involved in any drama. I have a best friend (since middle school) that is always complaining to me about college drama and I get to laugh at her :)

But anyway, I wasn't trying to sound rude by saying that, but if you are encountering interpersonal problems just stop. being. interpersonal.

However it could be difficult maybe in your chosen field, I don't know, I'm pretty sure the art fields are much more 'social' than certain other fields that you can squeak by only answering a single question in class for a whole semester :)

Hehe, i try not to talk to people they wanna talk to me and ignoring them just seems rude.

Didn't find anything rude about what you wrote so...

Well in every class i've been to, people always try to talk to me and i don't know why :P.

Asterisp wrote:
Hello Qaletaqa,

Going voluntarily to that mental hospital was not strange, but a brave step to do. At least you had the courage and insight to your mistakes. At that age my insights were worse.

Those classes about body language and communication are a good idea indeed. I do not know if these topics are covered: presentation techniques and job interviews? I did presentation techniques and they helped me to learn that people that the content of your message is not the whole message, most people look at the form first! (that was difficult for me to understand).
The job interview techniques are good when you end your future education, I only had them on my new job (I can be put to work for different clients). If I had followed these techniques earlier life would have been a bit easier.

I do not know if adult schools in Belgium have clubs or something to join, but it could help to get integrated and have an obligation to go to school.

Hmmm, i might look into presentation techniques sounds good.

Also i don't know if adult schools in Belgium have such clubs, and yes it could help me to integrate but not to have an obligation.

the_incident wrote:
If you need somebody to push you, well, that's what mothers are for :)

My mother doesn't do that, she always says it should be my choice so.