Share your English Literature tips here!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 11:53 am

This is building on from my other thread, entitled, 'Who absolutely HATES English Literature?'. I do hate the subject, yes, but I was wondering if any of you have grade-boosting tips. My teacher just says 'Re-read the book' but I don't believe that that will make a huge difference.

Share your tips here!

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 12:25 pm

Another possibility...find someone in class who is willing to sit down in a quiet area over coffee or a soft drink and discuss the
book with you. It is the same thing as forming a study group but, with just one other person in class...unless you are interested
in discussing the book with 3 or 4 other students in class.

Student study groups pay off in the achievement of higher grades!

the_incident
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2008, 5:26 pm

What specific problems are you having?

Writing papers? Remembering details during tests? Understanding literary devices?

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 5:10 pm

the_incident wrote:
What specific problems are you having?

Writing papers? Remembering details during tests? Understanding literary devices?

I forgot to mention that I can do exceptionally well in Writing papers (I can easily get A* in them) but the analytical parts let me down. Maybe this is just me being harsh, but I think I'm getting a B or an A in the analytical parts.

How can I drop some Social and Historical Context in there, as well as make the plan less rigid for me (i.e. instead of saying 'For this paragraph I am going to write about X', I could select key quotes from the poems and base the detail on that).

Maybe I just need to keep reading the books and poems more.

the_incident
Raven
Raven

08 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

I'm still not sure what the problem is for you, but "re-read the book" has to be some of the dumbest advice a teacher can give you.

If you do very well on reports then you must be having a problem with tests? Do you take notes while you read?

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 5:24 pm

When I read, sometimes I make spider diagrams, lists or anything else to help me get back in the mood for revision.