Stupid comments teachers have made to you or a loved one.

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2008, 10:53 pm

My sons teacher wrote me a note last week that my son "chose" not to pay attention in class. I cannot stand this woman! I wrote her back explaining he does not "choose" to not pay attention and that it's something he can't help. So ignorant.

What are some things you've heard that pissed you off?

abstrusemortal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2008, 11:44 pm

"It doesn't matter; he will never make a success of anything."

A teachers comment on Einstein. :)

PinkieOfDoom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2008, 12:06 am

I told a teacher I had Asperger's, and bless him because he was one of the best teachers I ever had and a lot of other kids would agree, but he responded, "Oh, so are you like Rain Man?"

I've gotten this response from other people though.

Hedgehog
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2008, 1:14 am

None of my teachers know, but I've had several comments such as "Very into the subject matter; thank you for the huge contribution." or "Please pay attention and start focusing."
or, there was one teacher who told me that I needed to "stop doing extra work so that I could stop being so obsessive", or the other teacher who told me stop harassing her about Russian history, since "if you're going to be so fanatical about it, then don't study it!"

Some teachers are real weirdos!

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2008, 3:07 am

I used to write in a funny style of writing, and my friend decided to try as well. The comment she got from the man who's now head-teacher was:

"Yes, but Elanor's struggling with her mind."

Needless to say we laughed about that one for a long, long time.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 3:36 am

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people!" from my maths teacher after he faailed to write readable and I wanted to ask the stupid question WTH he just wrote...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2008, 8:19 am

abstrusemortal wrote:
"It doesn't matter; he will never make a success of anything."

A teachers comment on Einstein. :)

whoa...that's pitiful.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2008, 8:21 am

PinkieOfDoom wrote:
I told a teacher I had Asperger's, and bless him because he was one of the best teachers I ever had and a lot of other kids would agree, but he responded, "Oh, so are you like Rain Man?"

I've gotten this response from other people though.

lol i think that's what 99% of people out there think of when they think of autism. they don't understand there is a spectrum. when my son was diagnosed yesterday with aspergers (i knew all along so it was just an affirmation), my co-worker said "oh, is that the thing where you curse a lot?" i said "um, no...that would be tourettes." 8O

fainting-goat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2008, 8:41 am

kattoo13 wrote:

"you'll never make it in college."

my high school counsellor. i eventually got a phd.

on the other hand:
http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/09/ha ... ctati.html

fg

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2008, 9:15 am

fainting-goat wrote:
kattoo13 wrote:

on the other hand:

fg

interesting article. sometimes i have the same philosophy, but it really depends on the situation. i use this mind frame mostly when it comes to relationships. i've been disappointed so many times in the past, that now i just don't put any high expectations into it (at least when i was actively dating). it seems to work.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 9:42 am

The list is oh so long. :roll:

Assumptions about me and family.

They still do, but I don't really listen to them anymore. It took a hile but I finally realised...why bother with people like that?

abstrusemortal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2008, 12:04 pm

kattoo13 wrote:
fainting-goat wrote:
kattoo13 wrote:

on the other hand:

fg

interesting article. sometimes i have the same philosophy, but it really depends on the situation. i use this mind frame mostly when it comes to relationships. i've been disappointed so many times in the past, that now i just don't put any high expectations into it (at least when i was actively dating). it seems to work.

High expectations everywhere else except in this department, as you succinctly put it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 12:23 pm

kattoo13 wrote:
My sons teacher wrote me a note last week that my son "chose" not to pay attention in class. I cannot stand this woman! I wrote her back explaining he does not "choose" to not pay attention and that it's something he can't help. So ignorant.

I corrected a factual inaccuracy in a history test and was told that I didn't understand the question because I'm not good with generalizations. This was from a fairly ignorant teacher who was referring to something she had read about autistics not being able to see past the details.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2008, 3:34 pm

"People who read excessively, do so because they have no imagination and cannot write." from an english teacher.

multiple responses to this, all of which would have gotton me sent to the principal's office. like "so what are we doing reading shakespeare?" "so what are you doing teaching?" "oh, I thought that was the quote about teachers."

i read allllll the time and i read 100 pages in less than an hour if i understand the topic (physics is beyond me). I can read old english and understand it, fairly well, and i've never been formally taught it. pissed me off royally.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 3:47 pm

Quote:
"People who read excessively, do so because they have no imagination and cannot write." from an english teacher.

The reason i've always hated reading for school assignments is that you can't think or imagine anything about the story. Doing so can result in your becoming confused as to what happened and what you iamgined which will result in your losing points on the test. Particularly if your teacher is like my tenth grade one whose assignments were "Read chapters 1-4" and the test had four questions, "1. What happened in chapter 1?" If you put something that happened in chapter 3 in your anser to the question about chapter 2, he would write "NOT!" over your answer and you wouldn't get any points. My favorite books are the ones that require you to use your imagination to picture the story. Like Orson Scott Card doesn't always describe what his characters look like, so its up to you to decide, and you need to decide before you can picture whats going on.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2008, 12:03 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Quote:

The reason i've always hated reading for school assignments is that you can't think or imagine anything about the story. Doing so can result in your becoming confused as to what happened and what you iamgined which will result in your losing points on the test. Particularly if your teacher is like my tenth grade one whose assignments were "Read chapters 1-4" and the test had four questions, "1. What happened in chapter 1?" If you put something that happened in chapter 3 in your anser to the question about chapter 2, he would write "NOT!" over your answer and you wouldn't get any points. My favorite books are the ones that require you to use your imagination to picture the story. Like Orson Scott Card doesn't always describe what his characters look like, so its up to you to decide, and you need to decide before you can picture whats going on.

i used to love reading Orson Scott Card for exactly that reason. It allowed one to pay attention to the story and not keep track of exactly what the person looked like. I absolutely despise hemingway.... he describes things down to the grain on the back of the leaf, then it sticks there in the back of my head and i have no clue what i just read.