Yes 74%  74%  [ 14 ]
Considered it, but didn't 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Nope, never wanted to 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2009, 11:20 pm

I'm planning on taking a philosophy course next year online because they don't offer it at my school, and I was curious if anybody had ever tried it, and how they liked it if they did.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2009, 11:33 pm

I had two online course, but I had horrible communication about submitting assignments to the right site in my second, so I had to drop that course and I'll probably take the classroom version instead next semester. The previous course was no problem though, since it was all note-taking and take the tests online.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2009, 4:34 pm

I did 4 online classes and they were all great.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2009, 11:13 pm

What kind of courses did you take? I wish I could take philosophy in a classroom, since I would love the discussions, but they don't offer it at my school. I REALLY want to take it though :D

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:47 am

I took Inorganic Chemistry online. It would have been a hell of a lot better if I had been able to take the class in person, since I was so busy that term I ended up putting off everything until the last minute. Nothing like waiting until the night before a midterm to actually start looking at the material.

Next term, I'm going to be taking Intro to Biological Anthropology online. I have a feeling that it's going to be a great deal easier.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2009, 4:15 pm

I'm taking AP Calculus online right now.

I enjoy the freedom that comes from taking it online, but it's much easier to procrastionate on assignments.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 7:18 pm

I could never do it. There are too much distractions at my house and I'd probably slack off. For some reason, I always get more work at school then at home.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 9:02 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
I could never do it. There are too much distractions at my house and I'd probably slack off. For some reason, I always get more work at school then at home.
I'm have to take another resource period so I can take the online course at the same time. I struggle to work at home, and to do a whole course at home would be killer. I just have so many more distractions at home :P

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2009, 8:46 am

I'm taking a children's book writing class for The Institute Of Childrens Literature.

I tell ya I was in Wal-Mart and saw a pamphlet that was about writing Childrens books and it had a thing to send away for a test so I thought "What do I have to lose except a few stamps".
So I take the test send it back and what do you know I passed and was accepted.

Abangyarudo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 11:24 am

ebec11 wrote:
What kind of courses did you take? I wish I could take philosophy in a classroom, since I would love the discussions, but they don't offer it at my school. I REALLY want to take it though :D

I do my schooling completely online and well there is more thought provoking discussions in it then normal classrooms. I assume its due to the people who normally wouldn't contribute but have great ideas. The only problem is in my schooling the forums are the participation score so I have to post atleast 3 times per category and the simple questions my professors ask get answered within the first 15 minutes then I have to struggle to think of something to bring up. They will ask such things as "what is Microsoft Active Directory and how is it used?" while they could ask an opinion question with that information so that it won't be a simple answer.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 3:05 pm

Oh, it doesn't say that there's discussions in mine, but there is daily contact with the teacher, which will be useful for me. That's why I can't do a IRL (I think that's what it's called), I need a teacher to clairify things.

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2009, 5:10 pm

I took an online class some years ago. It was specifically for gifted kids and so I loved it, once I'd overcome my fear of talking into the microphone.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 11:42 pm

I'm actually surprised at how many people here have taken online courses! I think they're slightly different in Canada then in the USA though, because some of the details I've been told from my teacher are different then yours.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 10:25 pm

ebec11 wrote:
What kind of courses did you take?

I took 2 political science, native studies, and geography.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 11:01 pm

^ Geography would have been so nice online, I wouldn't have had to do that torturous group presentation if I did that :P Too bad I didn't know about online courses at the time.