Online courses and deplorable grammar/using text speak

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

meems
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 1:28 am

I enrolled pretty late so I ended up in mostly courses online, only one on campus. This is actually what I prefer. However, people are already typing posts like this in their introductions:

"hey all im (name) im 20 yrs old & majoring in bsns admin. guess for my questian ill just like to know what you all axpect to learn in (the course)"

And I'm dead serious, someone replied "dude learn 2 spell, it's QUESTION and EXPECT lol"

To which I responded "hay guyz r we all gunna type like 12y/o all semester LAWLZ" which my instructor responded to by posting a bulletin and sending out an email explaining that anyone who writes out posts that resemble youtube comments(I cracked up pretty hard when I read that) will receive no credit for participation in discussions.

To my surpise she sent me an individual email and told me I'm funny but she discouraged me from such behavior in the future.

Have you ever seen this kind of crap in online courses?

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 2:18 am

Yes, and it's particularly discouraging when it's a senior-level college course.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 8:32 am

Is this a for-profit online school?

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:45 am

Its pretty strange that people choose to write in that kind of typing style as it would reflect on them badly in a professional setting. I don't even type that bad when typing back and forth IM's.

thewhitrbbit wrote:
Is this a for-profit online school?

Wouldn't surprise me if it was. Requirements for college/university are pretty low in my country for the most part. Lower requirements means more people being accepted, which means more money for the schools.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

Nope, it's a public college. There are a few people in all of my online courses who are typing like that. :(