Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nicnic
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

Does anyone else have trouble using correct punctuation when writing? I do, I think it is because it does not matter how something is said to me just the meaning of it.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 1:04 pm

Nicnic wrote:
Does anyone else have trouble using correct punctuation when writing?

My writing class teacher says I do.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

The less you agree with someone on the code you use to communicate, and the poorer this code is, the more information is lost in the process, the more misinterpretations arise, and the more time and effort it takes to achieve the same results.

Ðe leß you agree wiþ someone on ðe code you use to communicate, and ðe poorer ðis code is, ðe more information is lost in ðe proceß, ðe more misinterpretations arise, and ðe more time and effort it takes to achieve ðe same results.

da lEhs eowuGrie Wiþ suM won an dA koad eowyuIce ta keH mewnakait enD da peWrar þis koAd iz da moar enfurmaiShun iz lohced En da proassis da mOar miss enter pritaishans eRize end da moar teIm end effurt it teAks ta cheev da saim rizultz

Many people never get used to taking into account visually small details of their writing system—like punctuation—when they read, and thus never expect written communication to be more efficient than what they know. It’s just natural to assume a bike is a useless jumble of metal parts. What’s the point, if all you can do is drag it with yourself while walking? Why not just walk? Then you realize you can ride it.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2013, 1:48 pm

Good analogy, Spiderpig. It's very fitting for the importance of punctuation. It was once one of my weakest points. I used to have trouble understanding how to use it well at all. Now, one of my problems is that I overuse it sometimes.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

Punctuation changes meaning.

"Let's eat Grandma!" vs "Let's eat, Grandma!".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2013, 11:38 am

but how do you think of that when writing and improve.