Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

d057
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 8:04 pm

I am having a problem in my physical education class, the teacher is a very rude, and condensing person. In my class, there are always people that sit there and refuse to do anything because they don't want to do anything. The teacher never does anything about that. The teacher repeatadely yells at me infront of everybody about me not "doing it right". I have a failing grade in gym class simply because i'm not coordinated, but i try to participate. There are people that sit there and refuse to do anything, and they have a 100% in the class. If the failing grade does not change by the end of the school year, I will have to take gym class four times a week instead of two, and I do not want to do that. I am pissed off about this situation, and the school is not doing anything about this rude teacher.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2009, 9:20 pm

When he starts yelling at you for not doing it right, then say in a voice loud enough for others to hear, "At least I making the effort. Why aren't you failing the kids who are sitting on the bench and not trying?"

mlqqeae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2009, 12:58 am

cyberscan wrote:
When he starts yelling at you for not doing it right, then say in a voice loud enough for others to hear, "At least I making the effort. Why aren't you failing the kids who are sitting on the bench and not trying?"

That is very easy to think but no so easy to do. It would be pretty great if one was to say that though.

Brusilov
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2009, 1:12 am

If your gym teacher is "condensing," I guess you mean he is forming into a cloud? No, I know you mean condescending. Now my brain feels warped and confused.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2009, 2:49 pm

I also hate gym class because it is a waste of a class period. The activities we do are f****n pointless, and the teachers don't care about the kids that sit there and not do anything, they b***h at me for not doing it "right." Who is going to care 10 years from now that we had to play kickball in gym class, they only look at your final grade point average from high school when you apply for a job, so who is going to care about how we did in gym class?

HappyFox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2009, 6:04 pm

I agree who cares about our ability to catch a ball unless you decide to play some kind of sport star when you grow up.

Zasha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2009, 11:15 pm

d057 wrote:
I also hate gym class because it is a waste of a class period... so who is going to care about how we did in gym class?

I don't know about PA, but in NJ we were required to do four years of PE, even if we did school athletics. It's the state's attempt to try and keep students 'active' and therefore healthy. Nice theory, until it's under-funded and led by as*holes.

It is a waste, but there needs to be a way to get through this. Is there any teacher who understand you, who you could ask for advice? Could your parents complain? This school is supposed to serve you as the student and your situation is stupid and wrong.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 10:46 am

That's not unusual. We hear stories about the obesity problem in the U.S. on the rise, perhaps if they looked at how P.E. classes are run in schools and they'd see exactly why most people become inactive once they don't have to do it anymore.

At one school I went to, a private school by the way, what they'd often do to us at P.E. time is take the student athletes and work with them, while the rest of us were put to work picking up trash around the school and we had to get it all cleaned up or we couldn't go to class, so I often missed afternoon classes as a result and got my grades docked. Of course, my parents complained to the principal and he promised it would stop and it did for about 2 weeks, then it started up again. Fortunatley, my parents took me out of that school after that.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 1:59 pm

I hate PE. Thanfully I don't do it anymore. For some reason I was the teachers pet in PE even though I was terrible.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 2:27 pm

I too hate PE. While I can not help the OP, I want to encourage him to speaak up against the PoS he has as teacher.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Whitecrow323

07 May 2009, 4:40 pm

My personal opinion of MIddle and High School gym class is that it is recess for those who are to immature to accept the fact that recess ended in fifth grade. It was because of this that I took a weight lifting course for the last two years of high school. At least in that class we did something meaningful.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 12:38 pm

Whitecrow323 wrote:
My personal opinion of MIddle and High School gym class is that it is recess for those who are to immature to accept the fact that recess ended in fifth grade. It was because of this that I took a weight lifting course for the last two years of high school. At least in that class we did something meaningful.

In my gym class, we are walking across a damn balance beam. It is such a waste of a class period, and like i said, there are people standing there refusing to do anything. He fails me because i'm not doing it "right". My mom is going to complain to the school about this dipshit gym teacher. I have had more than enough with him.

Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

10 May 2009, 6:04 pm

I was never wanted on teams in PE. I hated it.

But our health class did a project with the adaptive PE class and I was quite welcome there. I enjoyed that week.

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 12:20 pm

d057 wrote:
Whitecrow323 wrote:

In my gym class, we are walking across a damn balance beam. It is such a waste of a class period, and like i said, there are people standing there refusing to do anything. He fails me because i'm not doing it "right". My mom is going to complain to the school about this dipshit gym teacher. I have had more than enough with him.

I wonder if those students who refuse to do anything are getting downgraded as well? I would bet if those students are athletes, probably not.

Alot of times, complaining often creates more problems. The only way complaining usually gets results is if it can get you out of his class.

Good luck.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

mistunderstood
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2009, 12:15 pm

Gym was a love hate thing for me . If I could play certain things like floor hockey or kick ball I loved it but if I had to do things like tumbling I hated it. I learned for me gym was a place I could release pent up energy safely and not get in trouble. But I did get in trouble for playing to hard. :o

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 10:16 am

zasha,

hello fellow NJ'ian, middle school students too I believe are required to take gym classes, it seems to been something our governor (not present one) had passed about student health and obesity (to keep kids fit by keeping them active and eating well (hence why no chips or soda sold in cafeterias anymore) since parents (in my opinion) I think should be saying about kid's fitness level not a school, I guess the governor feels that kids are getting heavy because of no parental interaction (as in having kid play outside or eat healthier food) but in a way, gym class I feel is a safe way to have fun (in a school) and not worry about gangs or getting in trouble)

I personally, seen gym class like a "structured recess" period it was ok for me, but sometimes it was just annoying at times when teacher would have us play "kiddie games" such as yea, kick ball and them "teacher created" games, I did dread running on the track and sports oriented activity.

I guess THAT is better then the gym teachers that focus more on exercise and treat the period as a fat camp class ((teaches different exercises and also has kids keep a goal of their heart rates and how long they did the exercise. I didn't mind using the machines in the weight room, but them aerobics and "use your body only" exercises I found just unneeded and slightly boring (sit ups/crunches, push ups, crunches, lunges, stretches)

d057, school year is almost over, just 30 some days left of school until summer, but until then, is there a way that you can have a talk with the physical education supervisor (gym teacher's boss) or even your guidance counselor or even vice principal?? these people probably have had complaints about the teacher and possible can get themselves in trouble for being rude (the teacher, not the student reporting the problem)

as for the others failing on the bench, it's possible the teacher is trying to deter his existing participating students from following the same path as the benchwarmers........ wants to use you and the others as role models to encourage these kids to get up and participate again.

possible also that they have notes from their doctor or the school's nurse (also serves as a few day excuse note) from participating in gym class, sounds like in your situation these "benchwarmers" are abusing their notes.. if I was the gym teacher I would have these benchwarmers bring in an official doctor's note to show that they have a medical problem that prevents them from participating in any physical activity. and/or talk to their parents about their benchwarming habits.

if its what I call a "vanity excuse" such as "im on my period" or "I'm afraid to break a nail" or the usual "ohh my hair stylist told me not to do any physical activity for next few days" I would tell them if its the period, wear a heavy flow or overnight pad, if its the "im afraid to break a nail," do the nails on weekend and take the nails off before coming to school. if its the hairdo, can't you just wait till summer to dress the hair all fancy?? unless your getting married on a school day, there's no excuse.

not saying that as any offending way, but with middle and high school PE, YOUR GRADE is more important then your hairdo or the other "vanity" things

I personally only warmed the bench only 2 times, once because in the class I had before gym, I fainted(it was a keyboarding class, they just wanted to make sure I was ok) and the second instance was when I had really bad cramps (I mean they were almost crippling, REALLY really bad!)during my monthly curse(period)