will a service pig help me
yes 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
no 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

pigsrock
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2009, 9:37 pm

i have aspergers and adhd and my mom, phycoligist, and i are thinking about getting me a service pig :pig: it is suppsed to help kids with aspergers by calming them down before a fit and we are thinking about getting me one because animals calm me down it basically is the same reason why they have theripy dogs it might also help me with not getting hyper because of my adhd there is a boy at my school who has a seeing eye dog

Last edited by pigsrock on 04 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 9:44 pm

I dunno! What can a service pig do? I know you love pigs, so just having one certified to hang out with you all day should be therapeutic. Pigs are supposed to be smart too. I wonder what you could teach them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 10:09 pm

just be sure they don't take over. The Vietnamese pot belly's used to be a popular breed, but they can get territorial (and actually, they're supposedly smart..)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 11:00 pm

how exactly would one assist you?

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2009, 2:23 am

Any chance that you are living outside of the U.S.?
Some info that I copied:

"When there is no restriction on species, unfortunately, too many are encouraged to push the boundary or to use disability law to keep exotic pets that would not ordinarily be permitted. We've seen instances of pigs, goats, snakes, birds, hamsters, and fish claimed as service animals. Despite the fact that most of these animals cannot be trained to actually perform any useful tasks. In short, they are comfort animals that cause people to feel better just by their presence.

The U.S. Department of Justice has long had a policy that animals whose sole function is to provide emotional support are not service animals, and now is planning to explicitly include that in the definition of "service animal" as it applies to the ADA. They are also considering restricting the species that can be used either to "common domestic animal" excluding "wild animals (including nonhuman primates born in captivity), reptiles, rabbits, farm animals (including any breed of horse, miniature horse, pony, pig, or goat), ferrets, amphibians, and rodents," OR only dogs.

There will be no more goats, pigs, monkeys, horses, or anything like that after the updated ADA changes go into effect in 2009. For those of us who have legitimate service animals, it is a great relief."