Do Your Classmates know you have Asperger's?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

LauraL
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2013, 8:07 pm

I know a friend on the bus with mild aspergers we are good friend. I know a friend in the process of getting diagnosed.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2013, 5:50 pm

I don't think you should tell them. They might be too young to understand, and it might cause name-calling. Only my best friend knows that I have Asperger's, so it's good that only your son's friend knows.

Heyman15678
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2013, 9:03 pm

Well when I was 7 I don't think my classmates knew I had Aspergers because it wasn't til I was 14 and 15 that they were talking about it at all with me. Telling his classmates means he might find out from them that he has it. This leads to him going through a transition stage which then becomes him being open and learning more about himself and other people. It'd be best if he started this stage when he is in double digits but that's just my opinion.

ExoticCritter
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm

Kids are cruel. I wouldn't tell everyone your kid has it. In high school (I wasn't diagnosed until high school) I only told the teachers and a select few friends. Now that I'm in college I tell my professors, most friends (close and not close), and the people on wrong planet about it. I am much more open now because I'm not bullied in college, but I was bullied in elementary through high school and I didn't want to stand out even more. Honestly I don't believe parents should tell ANYONE other than teachers about their children's Asperger's. I believe it should be up to the kids when/who/if they tell. I didn't even let my parents have me tested until they promised not to tell anyone that I didn't give them permission to. Sorry, I know this is the kids section (I'm 19), but I saw other adults post on this thread and since I'm a student with Asperger's I thought I should give my input.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 8:04 am

Well up to the 7th grade I was in special schools for developmentally disabled, so not an issue.
Now that I am in regular middle school it is known and I stand out because of it. My autism is
a little more on the severe side so I can't hide being so withdrawn, quiet and awkward. I have a
super great best friend since I was 9 and him and his friends look out for me, which is really
the only way I feel safe attending regular school. And it is easier in a way I guess that the kids
know I am autistic, instead of them speculating what is wrong with me, but at the same time they do not know what being autistic means. So I am just that weird kid. Some kids are nice to me cause of it and other kids avoid me like I am contagious.
But since I am so withdrawn I do not really care as long as they do not pester me. It is hard to say
for me cause I agree with the reasons for telling that a kid has AS and I agree with the reasons for not telling
he has it.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2014, 3:52 pm

Smelena wrote:
Hello,

My 7 year old son has asperger's and I'm wondering whether or not we should tell some of his classmates.

We are working hard on his social skills, but he loves to wrestle fight with other kids and he gets to rough. When they complain or cry he laughs at them. If I'm there I try to get him to apologise but he refuses.

Also he's going through a stage of calling everybody maniac, dufus and crazy. He thinks it's hilarious, but some of his classmates get upset. When I try to explain to him that they don't like it he doesn't believe me because he thinks it's so funny.

The kids have been accepting of his different ways so far. When he's done weird stuff before in class the other kids just say, "Oh, Daniel's just different"

However as the other kids are getting older, they're getting more annoyed with him.

My husband and the guidance officer say that we absolutely should not tell any of the classmates because he'll stand out. But he stands out with his different behaviour anyway.

My instinct is that I should tell some of the kids - a couple of the girls are very kind and helpful when he has meltdowns.

Daniel only has 1 friend at school (and that's fine by me). This friend knows about his Asperger's and the friends's mum knows. She has done lots of research on the net and has been lovely.

So I thought I'd ask other kids, do your classmates know?

If your classmates know have they been more accepting and helpful?

I would love your stories and advice so I know what I should do.

Thanks
Smelena

P.S. I have asked Daniel whether he wants his classmates to know and he's just said, 'I don't know'.

Woah! I don't know about you but I think this kid should be in Autism Speaks' HQ. He could get them out of business! Here's what you ro:
1. Once you somehow get him to calm down, wait until he graduates college.
2. Tell him to get a job at Autism Speaks, make sure he hides his aspergers and then get him to totally pwn them all.
3. LET HIM BE KNOWN!
This kid really is my idol and I'm four years older than him. [not a role model of course]

duckdevil8
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2014, 10:00 pm

I'm NT and in 8th grade.There's a boy in my grade who has Asperger's and I think that the kids who know that are much kinder and accepting. However, it does make me wonder what that says about my peers. We are so accepting....................once we know that there's something that needs to be accepted. Also, this is my personal experience and thoughts, and I am more well informed about Asperger's than your typical NT student and live in a diverse and "accepting" place. The kid did a presentation to his science class that gave basic Asperger's knowledge, but I'm not sure if that helped prevent the laughing that seemed to occur every time he spoke.

Mrrandomman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2014, 9:18 am

Well my friends and I are social outcasts, so I thought " Who are they going to tell anyway " so I did and it turned out all my friends are neurologically diverse.

WellThatsDantastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2014, 6:33 pm

No, mine never found out.

I'd rather not, because I was afraid of being labeled as Autistic or the dreaded "ret*d" (Probably the stupidest, most out-dated term in history).

wolfgang82

18 Jul 2014, 10:22 pm

I would not I have had that thought in the past if I should tell someone so I told my teacher at rising star I could say they started treating me and my friend a crossed the street like we were crazy but know that I put some more thought into it they were bending over backwords for me but the printable just didn't understand like one time I talk about Jews when I didn't understand and he did not put that into thought when he said that he had friends that were Jews and that what I said was ring now I got to admit they had a really great counselor but one of the teachers in the fourth grade that was really mean that didn't understand asspergers at all staying that it was not even a form of autism so I had it pretty rough sense then but now I'm okay so I told my friend he thought that it was some kind of joke and treated me like I was ret*d but then I found my real best friend Kyle I told him and he really understood what I was going through.now I'm fine so what I say is wate till your son wants To tell someone

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 1:26 pm

i've never told any of them, a few know i have 'aspergers' but mostly all of them sense i'm different or 'dumb' in some way. that i'm crazy. or a creep.

no matter how hard i try i can't hide it.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Trin24
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2014, 3:29 am

If I told anyone they wouldn't understand
#no one gets it unless your an aspie

Lost_in_the_Mist
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2014, 4:32 am