Unsure 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 2 ]
Other 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 434

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2019, 12:59 am

I like cats a lot, but I love dogs. My wife and I have both, dogs and cats.

When I see a dog and its human being a dog and their human, it fills me with glee. There is a bond and synchronization there which I find delightful.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2019, 1:39 am

I prefer cats,
With BBQ sauce. :twisted:

AugustD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2019, 3:07 am

Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

Having said that, I love both. However I prefer dogs, due to the fact that I'm highly allergic to cats.

After 2 Goldens and 1 Flatty, I currently have my 3rd and 4th IWS: aka the clowns of gun dogs.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 7:16 am

Depends a lot on the cat and the dog. Dogs are a bit brighter, more social, more loyal, more into fun and better at expression their emotions. It's not as easy to get the emotions of cats as it expresses in their eyes. You need to be really good at reading facial expressions to get it. It's even harder because many of them avoid direct eye contact. But be aware that cats and dogs are able to read the emotions in the facial expressions of humans.

Skjald

25 Apr 2021, 2:51 pm

Dogs, definitely! Dogs are superb! They are one of my favourite animals and in my opinion they truly are the best friends of the human species!
It’s astonishing what dogs are capable of and how dogs help and enrich society and the individuals in it.
Dogs work as assistants for people with disabilities and diseases, they can detect diseases, they are therapy dogs, they are avalanche search dogs, protect cattle, protect homes and work in the police force etc. etc.

And training and working with dogs is a lot of fun!

Additionally Dogs have great personalities, they are loyal and always honest and true! Their communication is very clear and direct as well!
Frederick the Great of Prussia once said that dogs had all the good personality traits of humans without also having their bad traits at the same time.

Directly compared to dogs cats are nothing! All they do is s**t into a box and destroy wallpaper and furniture.
Cats are one of the few animals there are on this planet which I can’t stand and find highly unlikeable. It’s their personality traits this bitchy, arrogant, wimpy, moody, unpredictability I dislike.
I have never understood why people like cats so much and why they are such a popular pet to so many folks. I probably won’t ever get it either.

“The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.”
- Mikhail Bakunin

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 4:18 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
It's not as easy to get the emotions of cats as it expresses in their eyes. You need to be really good at reading facial expressions to get it. It's even harder because many of them avoid direct eye contact.

Actually, cats "talk to you" with body language in their entire body.
The position of their whiskers sends messages.
The condition of their eyes sends messages.
The position and orientation of their ears sends messages.
The shape of their spine sends messages.
The way they are standing sends messages.
The position and motion of their tail sends messages.

Skjald wrote:
It’s their personality traits this bitchy, arrogant, wimpy, moody, unpredictability I dislike.

I and others disagree with the unpredictable bit.
(as well as the rest of it, but for now let's just talk about the unpredictability)
Here's one sample, this one being about when a cat gets overstimulated,
https://www.petassure.com/new-newslette ... cratching/
Quote:
This behavior is the most confusing because it seems so sudden and unpredictable. However, from the cat’s standpoint, he’s already given you several warning signs and signals prior to biting that he’s had enough. These signals include:

Narrowed eyes
Skin rippling
Cessation of purring
Ear flicking or rotation sideways
Shifting its body position
Growling
Tail-lashing or thumping - if you see this sign, you've waited too long

If you watch your cat closely, you will learn these signs and know when your cat has had enough attention, before he becomes defensive in order to communicate his feelings to you.

:arrow: Another thing to keep in mind is that compared to dogs, cats are more highly aware of being both predator and prey. Even urban and suburban owls are known to prey on domestic cats. Therefore, defense against predators is more of a thing to cats than to dogs, and that makes for an attitude difference in cats and dogs.

and moving on,

Quote:
I have never understood why people like cats so much and why they are such a popular pet to so many folks. I probably won’t ever get it either.

Even though you probably won't get it, I will tell about my case, and that is that while I like and enjoy both cats and dogs, my health and living arrangements make cats much easier to care for.

Skjald

25 Apr 2021, 6:00 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Even though you probably won't get it, I will tell about my case, and that is that while I like and enjoy both cats and dogs, my health and living arrangements make cats much easier to care for.

That’s a fairly rational and pragmatic reason I can definitely see the point of.
Then again there are plenty of other animals easier to take care of than both dogs and cats and I personally would prefer any of them over a cat as a pet any day. Heck, even some insects, I’d rather have an ant farm than a cat if I think about it ;)

Fair enough though, I can get this argument.

“The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.”
- Mikhail Bakunin

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 5:58 pm

and I now present this for your enjoyment,

https://the-adventures-of-dave.tumblr.c ... ewgameplus

Quote:
prokopetz

The idea that housecats are baby-talking at humans when they meow is based on a misunderstanding.

Yes, it’s true that, amongst themselves, adult housecats generally only vocalise to communicate with kittens, but the particular set of vocalisations that adult cats use to communicate with humans is distinct from, and largely non-overlapping with, the set of vocalisations that they use to communicate with kittens.

Your average adult housecat has anywhere from twenty to fifty distinct vocalisations that are basically only used to communicate with humans.

Cats meowing at humans is less baby-talk and more your cat learning a whole second language.

followthebluebell

Can confirm. Between themselves, cats usually use body language which is very subtle. Meowing is very unsubtle—- it’s obnoxious, in the cat world. It attracts far too much attention, which isn’t ideal for small predators.

but they know that we don’t get their body language, so they meow instead.

it’s more akin to cats learning a second language which is comprised of yelling.

foxincrocsnewgameplus

So it’s like they are learning German

miss-nerd-alert

Even cooler, it’s basically a secret code between cat and owner. Studies were conducted where owners would listen to recordings of cats vocalizations and try to determine what the meow meant. Owners could identify what their own cat wanted (food, attention, help) based on the meow they heard, but couldn’t for other cats.

Your cats aren’t just learning a new language, they straight up invent a secret code that only you understand.

At one point on the calendar my brother was fluent enough in German that a number of Germans in Untermeitingen assumed he was German when he lived there.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 3:04 pm

This just crossed my path on Tumblr,
https://catpda.tumblr.com/post/16799740 ... lings-like

Quote:
how can ppl say cats dont have feelings like.

when my cat got deadly sick she refused to eat a single thing and it had been days but when i started crying she ate just a little bit, and upon seeing how happy it made me, kept doing it whenever she could.

now whenever im sad or crying she finds wherever i am with a mouthful of food and eats the pieces one by one, every time looking up at me making sure i was watching her eat it all because she knew it made me happy. and it DOES make me happy

:arrow: And in other news, my 2 orange fellows love to 'help' with things :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 7:08 pm

I love dogs and cats equally, a lot.

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2023, 10:04 am

Cats.
I used to have a cat for 19 years that passed away in 2014. :( :(

Hokulea
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2024, 4:23 pm

I voted 'I like cats significantly more than dogs'.

I think I have a bias towards cats because I grew up with a pet cat and I use to be afraid of dogs probably because I got knocked over by a dog with a tree branch when I was about 13 months old. I'm not afraid of dogs now though, and I imagine if I interacted with them more I'd get more fond of them.

Harmonie
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2024, 7:20 pm

I'm a dog person. Cats are fine, but dogs have been in my life since at a very young age and I love them so much.