Aripiprazole, brand name Abilify, anyone here try it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Was it worth it?
No 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Yes 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 5

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 2:12 pm

second hand accounts are welcome too, if you know anyone's ablify story.

It has FDA approval for autism, and sounds like it may be more garbage, as these so called atypical antipsychotics tend to be rank garbage.

Quote:
Aripiprazole, sold under the brand name Abilify among others, is an atypical antipsychotic.[5] It is primarily used in the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.[5] Other uses include as an add-on treatment in major depressive disorder, tic disorders and irritability associated with autism.[5] It is taken by mouth or injection into a muscle.[5] A Cochrane review found evidence of effectiveness in treating schizophrenia.[6]

In adults, side effects with greater than 10% incidence include weight gain, headache, akathisia, insomnia, and gastro-intestinal effects like nausea and constipation, and lightheadedness.[2][3][4][7][8] Side effects in children are similar, and include sleepiness, increased appetite, and stuffy nose.[7] A strong desire to gamble, binge eat, shop, and engage in sexual activity may also occur.[9][10]

Common side effects include vomiting, constipation, sleepiness, dizziness, weight gain and movement disorders.[5] Serious side effects may include neuroleptic malignant syndrome, tardive dyskinesia and anaphylaxis.[5] It is not recommended for older people with dementia-related psychosis due to an increased risk of death.[5] In pregnancy, there is evidence of possible harm to the baby.[5][11] It is not recommended in women who are breastfeeding.[5] It has not been very well studied in people less than 18 years old.[5] The exact mode of action is not entirely clear but may involve effects on dopamine and serotonin.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aripiprazole

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 5:18 pm

wow ... second hand account of a freind , whom was on it for a number of years , after it became useless for her and induced sleep issues . And made her crazy , she said, when she tried to get off of it. She was cautioning people , whether she knew them or not ........ not to even start it, she claimed its side effects lasted a very long time after she discontinued it . Like over a year , she claimed .

where ever you go ,there you are

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2021, 8:37 pm

I tried it for depression, it did not go well. I kept getting horrible images in my mind that weren’t exactly hallucinations, but I don’t know what else to call them, and had to be hospitalized. Of course, I also had a really bad psychiatrist at the time, when I told him about it his response was to increase the dosage of Abilify and decrease the dosage of something else I had been taking for at least a year without any problems (don’t remember for sure, I think maybe sertraline). It took me way too long to realize that I don’t actually have to take anything I’m prescribed, and the first day I skipped the Abilify, it stopped.

This is only my personal experience, I expect my reaction was not a common one.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2021, 11:49 am

thanks for the replies.

As for Sertraline, that one did me some good, been on it coming up on two years and think it still has an effect on my negativity.

I may even get to fix the problems that made it effective in the first place.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 8:51 pm

I’ve been on Abilify for over 10 years and I’m the most stable I’ve ever been.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 10:51 pm

I was on it for a few years as a kid, but was taken off because it messed with my lipid levels.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 4:42 pm

The_Znof wrote:
thanks for the replies.

As for Sertraline, that one did me some good, been on it coming up on two years and think it still has an effect on my negativity.

I may even get to fix the problems that made it effective in the first place.

I think sertraline is the antidepressant I’ve been on the longest, five years maybe. Glad it’s been helping you too.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Dec 2021, 11:13 am

I was put on Abilify after falling into a psychotic depression when I was 20 over my 1st relationship ending. I slashed my arm 9x during my lowest point & needed to go to the ER. I was put on an antidepressant & Lithium & I very briefly tried a couple different antipsychotics before I was put on Abilify. I had bad side-effects with the 1st two. Abilify made me have bad dry mouth, sometimes slur a little when I talked, & made me kinda shaky. I have a tremor disorder that can affect my voice & Abilify made it worse. I tried a couple other antipsychotics out but kept going back to Abilify. I tried a few antidepressants out as well during that time. I quit all the psych meds after 5 years partly due to my health insurance dropping me, it was before Obamacare & I couldn't afford the full costs of my meds on top of seeing my psychiatrist which was never covered due to my insurance not covering mental stuff. I was doing better mentally but I gradually realized that the meds helped hold me together & I started rapidly slipping back into bad habits when I got in my 2nd relationship at 28. I researched psych meds a bit & started taking different meds one at a time but it was too late to save that relationship. I've been on the antipsychotic Seroquel/Quetiapine for the last year & a half partly because of getting angry & snapping at my current girlfriend some. Seroquel is helping keep me a little more stable. I'm also on a few other psych meds as well that are helping. I could list all the antipsychotics & the other psych meds I've been on if anyone cares.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition