ASD/Images 27%  27%  [ 55 ]
ASD/Concepts 36%  36%  [ 74 ]
ASD/Other 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
Other/(Specify) 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 203

Schwammerl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Switzerland - Europe - Earth - Solar System - Milky Way - Virgo SC - Universe

18 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

Concepts. Otherwise images.

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2013, 7:51 pm

Words.

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2013, 2:35 pm

I almost hit concepts, because that is the most active thinking part...but reverie or memory usually has a visual component with an emotional overlay and a lot of my thinking evokes memory. Then there's the geometric/spatial spiritual exploration stuff - so I hit the ASD 'other' button.

MrKnowItAll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2013, 9:46 pm

My visual imagination is just about zilch. If I try to picture even a simple geometric object in my mind's eye like a triangle, I lose track of it. On the other hand, in those test questions where they show two objects and ask you to say whether one is the other rotated or flipped I do just fine. I always considered imagining something to be so little like seeing something it's even a stretch to call it that. I have a bit of a sense where it is, but it's a lot like looking at a black cat in a windowless building with the lights off. I know where the outlines are but I can't see anything.

I always assumed everybody's visual imagination is more or less like that. Am I wrong?

I think words when it's about words. Otherwise, I don't know how my thoughts get put together. I put them out in whatever form I'm putting them out in and I'm not aware of them having any form or mode before I do it.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2013, 6:06 am

I think in a hodgepodge of words, pictures, music, words and videos not related to my surroundings.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 12:27 am

I had put concepts before, but I realize now that I'm looking at this thread again I sometimes think in words too. I also sometimes see pictures in my head as well.

Maybe I just wasn't thinking when I posted here before. Or just in concepts ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Ben_Is_My_Only_God
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2015, 3:17 pm

Concepts and feelings, I don't see images except in dreams and I don't think in words.

345 is a nice number on which to end.

Bimog And The Search For Pangea

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2015, 3:38 pm

Concepts and images equally. I get an concept and in this very moment I see a picture related to it somehow.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 12:51 am

Mostly a stream of words, but I can do some poor imagery in my mind's eye. I sometimes have difficulty quieting my mind, it tends to keep running non stop and can sometimes interfere with my sleeping habits.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:32 am

ASD/mixture of all the senses and concepts. :)

inkgirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2019, 8:56 pm

I clicked ASD pictures, but then I read your definition of "concept" thinking and now I'm confused. I guess I think in pictures and concepts? Because my brain jumps from one topic to another, seeing the links between them, in order to form a response, but this all happens in rapid fire images in my head. So if I'm thinking about summer vacation, I immediately picture the car ride and the pool and the beach. These images are like short movie clips of memory/imagination.

I guess I mostly think in pictures/videos but with a rabbit trail thought process. I'm great at reaching logical conclusions to a myriad of topics, but I can never explain my arguments because I don't know exactly how I got there. My brain goes through the deduction process so quickly and intuitively that I can end up with an opinion or answer without knowing the details of my thoughts. I can "see" the thought process in my mind, but have trouble putting my visuals into words...

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2019, 11:36 pm

I would say that I predominantly think in images.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 8:43 pm

A mixture with my internal model of reality being mainly visual some with spatial/mathematical components and the words (which are heard, not seen) being a commentary on the model, not a part of it. I have a constant internal monologue that I need to think about complex concepts but I would never equate words or propositions with the concepts themselves, nor are the concepts equivalent to what they are describing.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2020, 8:56 pm

Primarily words, but a significant amount of concepts/feelings that I can put neither word nor image to. I have no trouble picturing things and creating mental images, but it's not typically how my thoughts originate.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 8:02 pm

Words but it seems that there is also a sort of process beyond thought that is kind of a idea but not really. I might not understnad how to explain someting but i know what i'm thinking about if that makes any sense and since i have aphantasia and words are really the only option.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2021, 1:26 pm

In abstract patterns; they don't always have associated images, but sometimes do. They have emotional fingerprints and fear/safety "nuances."