Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Harmonie
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2024, 7:59 pm

TBH, I have no clue. I'm from the US south but I don't have a very stereotypically Southern accent. Or so I thought... But when I went up to first visit New England last fall people we talked to were like "You're from the South aren't you?" 8O

Lol. Never thought of myself as having an accent. That's fair that I'm wrong on that because obviously biases keep us from seeing something like this. Nevertheless, when I think of a Southern accent, I think of something like Kandiss Taylor (sorry for bringing her up. She's a mess. Ugh.) and my accent is drastically different from hers.

Niacin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2024, 7:20 am

My accent has been described as South African or as a lesser-known British accent.

English is not my native language, I'm European and taught myself English with the Standard Southern British pronunciation, with L and R vocalisation. Never quite mastered the associated intonation and after watching a lot of mostly-American content my accent got diluted a bit (especially the weak-to-begin-with intonation, but also the pronunciation of the /t/ which I previously always realised as [t] but now realise irregularly as [t], [d], [ɾ] or [ʔ]). Despite this I am still mistaken for British by Americans.