What Do You Eat, and Do You Prepare Your Own Food?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you prepare your own food?
Almost always, fairly traditional mixed diet 14%  14%  [ 38 ]
Almost always, fairly traditional mixed diet 14%  14%  [ 39 ]
Almost always, vegetarian/vegan 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Almost always, vegetarian/vegan 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Almost always, low carbohydrate/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 6%  6%  [ 17 ]
Almost always, low carbohydrate/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 6%  6%  [ 17 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways/restaurant trad diet 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways/restaurant trad diet 5%  5%  [ 15 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways vegetarian/vegan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways vegetarian/vegan 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
50% prepare my own and 50% takeaways low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special diet 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly traditional takeaways, some microwave meals 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Mostly traditional takeaways, some microwave meals 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Mostly vegetarian/vegan takeaways, some packet meals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly vegetarian/vegan takeaways, some packet meals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly low carb/gf/cf/raw etc takeaways, some microwaved meals 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Mostly low carb/gf/cf/raw etc takeaways, some microwaved meals 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Most of the time other people cook traditional meals for me 8%  8%  [ 21 ]
Most of the time other people cook traditional meals for me 8%  8%  [ 21 ]
Most of the time other people cook vegetarian/vegan meals for me 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Most of the time other people cook vegetarian/vegan meals for me 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Most of the time other people cook low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special meals for me 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Most of the time other people cook low carb/gf/cf/raw/other special meals for me 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Other 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 275

beccah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jan 2011, 3:05 pm

i eat pretty/very healthy,cook my food and have a mix between traditional and non traditional because i like to eat good interesting food that makes me feel good i enjoy a lot of 'traditional' foods but in a healthier way {lower fat baked goods,ethnic/non american foods,etc.} i love to experiment.a lot of times theres very little to no cooking though just because of the foods i eat.it goes back and forth.

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jan 2011, 2:17 pm

My bf makes my meals. It's very healthy. Usually meats cooked in olive oil, and many different vegetables. I make my own vegetable and fruit smoothies.

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2011, 10:09 pm

I cook all my own meals. I feel best when I follow The Zone diet - each meal is comprised of 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carbs. It keeps my blood sugar on an even keel.

Even though carbs are the highest percentage, it's still a low carb diet compared to most others.

I have to cook my own due to finances, but I hope I'd choose to cook even if I could afford to eat out or take-in. I can make food the way I like it and also control the ingrediants; knowing everything is healthy, fresh and sanitary.

creature1001
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2011, 2:35 pm

I eat low carb.
I have no imagination and I'm quite sure this comes into play with my menu. I can't think of anything I want to eat so I will eat the same thing every day unless someone cooks for me.

If I prepare my own meals I will eat nothing but cheese, jerky, hard boiled eggs, egg salad wraps (lc)
If my partner cooks than stuff gets grilled outside, steamed, marinated, side dishes, the works!
Don't ask me how imagination works with that, but it does. I just can't plan a menu.

mom2girls
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jul 2011, 6:10 pm

We are Gluten/Casein free as well as having allot of food intollerances, to soy, egg, almonds, peanuts, and all chemicles. The diet helps ALOT but we can not eat out at all, we have a very occational Gluten/Casein free pizza, but for the 4 of us to have two it costs $60!! ! Way out of my budget, but a couple times a year. We also very occationaly have New York Fries, other than that I make everything myself. I also do all our baking, and am getting much better at it (it was a steep learning curve to bake Gluten/Casein Free) We eat alot of fruit and veggies though my ten year old with Aspergers only eats a few of each (apples, strawberries, cantalope and corn) she is very healthy considering :D

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Sep 2011, 9:58 am

I work at a school, so I eat breakfast and lunch at the cafeteria. It's hard for me to get into a routine when it comes to dinner, though. I go through phases when I'm interested in cooking, or I eat at Subway.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 3:39 am

I cook my meals and my family's meals

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 4:37 am

I often prepare my own food, but there is not so much preparing, because I eat lots of uncooked vegetables during the day, so its more about washing and cutting then preparing. ^^ Warm food I normally eat only once a day in the evening, after work. So you could say my diet is almost vegetarian (I eat flesh maybe twice a week, I was vegetarian before, but it caused too much trouble with my partner and his relatives.) and I avoid "empty" carbohydrates, means white sugar, white flour, and all that stuff that doesnt have any useful nutrients. But I am not into that carbohydrat hysteria, so peas, lenses, potatoes, ... are absolutely fine.

I rarely find already prepared meals that I could buy outside, because most only contain flesh and/or white carbohydrates (noodles, white rice, white bread as you have in pizza) and you hardly find any normal vegetables based meals. (Even vegetarian meals often only contain rice with sauce, or noodles with sauce, or pizza with a few vegies or such nonsense.)

In restaurants sadly its the same, most meals are flesh with noodles or rice or noodles or rice with sauce, nothing that is mainly vegetables. Except for indian or turkish restaurants that have lots of vegetarian meals with vegetables, but there are none of these restaurants around my village, so sadly we only can eat there, when we visit the capital city of our area.

When I cook in the evening its a mix of everything, so vegetables in the wok with asian spice one day, on the other day its a traditional meal. Many of our old meals are prefectly fine, because people couldnt afford flesh every day, so there are lots of vegetables based meals.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 1:34 am

I eat whatever, but I can't cook to save my life.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 7:33 pm

Someone cooks

Eat a lot of fruit

Sucrose

Have to stop

Getting old

Even the apple tastes sweeter than when I was young

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2019, 8:28 am

Transitioning to plant based but I eat a little meat so I put “other,” and it varies, sometimes healthy one week and too much junk the next. I eat out more than I should but I prepare my own food sometimes.

What most people think of as traditional is probably healthier than what’s actually traditional. No one admits to eating too much junk but so many people do :wink:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 11:24 pm

Lately I've mainly been eating cereal, and homemade frozen food my mom gave me. I can cook, but I'm usually too lazy to.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jun 2019, 7:27 am

I eat a lot of fast-food & junk-food. There's not a lot I can cook due to various disabilities. My girlfriend cooks for lunch & usually cooks enough so there's leftovers for another meal or two. I also eat out sometimes or have pizza delivered.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

TazCrystal

03 Jun 2019, 5:17 pm

I eat a variety of food. I like pasta, pizza, chilli, and cookies. I can sort of cook. I help a lot. I have difficulties with following recipes for some reason. I have to be shown how and told how at the same time

FromPluto

13 Jun 2019, 7:01 am

I'm a weirdo. Food wise. Ha ha.

My body just doesn't know what to do with sugar or starch or dairy.

So I'm not fussy about the other stuff. I eat softly cooked veggies and meat (stew) and roasted or fried veggies and meat. My main fuel is fat, mostly from the meat plus coconut oil and olive oil.

I can eat the other stuff occasionally but there are always prohibitive consequences. Not just digestive... Everything goes wrong... Worst is neurological reactions.

I thought it might be an autism thing but after being on the forum I see most people eat normally and are happy with that. If I eat wrong I get severe chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, sensory issues, digestive pain, IBS and dissociation. I'd love to know why. Started getting much worse during puberty.

Food philosophy wise I find keto is a good source of info considering my restrictions and I like certain aspects of nourishing traditions and paleo. But I'm easy going. Frutarians and raw vegans fascinate me... But I would probably die fast eating only fruit. Carnivore is also really interesting but I can't afford to be that restricted unless my life depends on it. Why make social even more difficult?

FromPluto

13 Jun 2019, 7:08 am

I should mention that I cook for myself, my husband and my son.

But I do have a lot of executive function fails with not making enough, forgetting to start cooking in time, opening the fridge at the 11th hour only to find I'm short of crucial ingredients, Etc. Etc. Etc.

Plus I really relate to lacking imagination. I'm tolerant to eating the same thing in a row basically forever and occasionally my husband will declare he can't eat chicken or something else I overdid for a month or two.

The perils of marrying Aspie.