Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm

This is going to sound stupid, so forgive me, I'm still rather new and just trying to figure things out.

First off how do I access my profile page? (not the one to edit my profie, but rather see my profile as another member would. For instance the profile page where I can click to view all my posts)

I know I can click on my name to go there, but that's only if I started a topic or return to the forum after being the last poster.

2nd question:

User Stats
Members: 17,514
Online Now: 1,624

People Online:
Visitors: 1490
Members: 134
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 12

What's the difference between these bolded areas.

I know the top one is total members. I'm guessing the bottom one is active members.

But I don't get why there's a difference between the "online now" members and the member count for the "people online"

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 12:31 am

MJIthewriter wrote:
First off how do I access my profile page? (not the one to edit my profie, but rather see my profile as another member would. For instance the profile page where I can click to view all my posts)

From any WP page/window, at very top in upper right hand corner, white text says "Log in"-even if you've already signed in (for purpose of posting) at bottom of forum index page. Click on "log in" & the boxes for member name/password come up. After filling those in, it takes you to profile page-and the upper-right corner will now read "Inbox/My Account/Log out". Clicking on "my account" brings up profile page, from which you can pm, set preferences, do the avatar thing, etc.
MJIthewriter wrote:
2nd question:
User Stats
Members: 17,514
Online Now: 1,624

People Online:
Visitors: 1490
Members: 134
New Today: 10
New Yesterday: 12

What's the difference between these bolded areas.
I know the top one is total members. I'm guessing the bottom one is active members.
But I don't get why there's a difference between the "online now" members and the member count for the "people online"

134 (members who are signed in) + 1490 (people who are "guests" or are members but are not signed in are all counted together as "visitors") = 1624. "Online now" (1,624) is total # of people here now browsing, using the site-be they members or visitors (which could include members who are not signed in). Kinda' circular-hope my explanation makes enough sense. I'm not tech-savvy, either.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 1:26 am

MJIthewriter wrote:
This is going to sound stupid, so forgive me, I'm still rather new and just trying to figure things out.

I know I can click on my name to go there, but that's only if I started a topic or return to the forum after being the last poster.

Well, one way is to send someone a pm, and then go to your Inbox > Sent Messages, then open the message and click on the profile button at the bottom of your message. Otherwise I suppose you'll have to look up one of your posts, to do that you go Wrong Planet Forums Forum Index > View Your Posts.

I don't know of any other ways.

The View posts since your last visit and View your posts buttons are my two best friends, I rely on them daily.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2008, 3:09 am

Thanks for the visual, mikebw. That solves one problem. It still takes me an extra click to get to this page:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums-profi ... 17897.html
Some forums hyperlink usernames on all posts, but this one doesn't. It only hyperlinks topic starters and final posters on the main forum. It makes it kind of hard for me to get to member's individual profile pages or read their blogs, etc. Clicking on usernames to see their page is something I like to do.

BTW,
Looks like my browser does a great job blocking the google ad. I didn't know one existed on this site.

And thanks Belfast, as I was posting I was starting to wonder if one of those were counting guests. That's a lot of guests! Another idea I had was total members vs active members, like some kind of count of members that are activly posting in the last few days or months vs idle members.

That's what I was trying to figure out between those two possiblities.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 7:19 am

I'm confused, MJIthewriter. Every post has the "View Profile" button at the bottom, which views the user's profile.

Also, your user number never changes. You, for instance, are user number 17,897. As you showed, in your message, the link:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/forums-profi ... 17897.html
will always go to your profile. Save it as a bookmark. Better yet, make it your home page. :)

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2008, 3:42 am

I see the buttons now, For some reason I didn't. I must be programed by other forums I visit, to click the username on the left hand side "author" column above the avatar and status. I click and nothing happens here.

I guess it goes to show just how stuck in routine I am. *sigh*