Are you a mosquito magnet?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 6:06 pm

I am
Most bites I ever counted was more than I care to remember (somewhere in the 30's I believe).
DD is one too.
DH on the other hand never gets bitten despite him lying in bed stark-bollock naked with not even a sheet to cover him!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 6:47 pm

are you blood type O, by any chance? I read that blood type was most attractive to skeeters. but I am almost as attractive to them judging by how they flock around me when I step outside.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 7:04 pm

I don't know if I'm more of a magnet to them than the average person, but I do find that their bites seem to itch me far more intensely than they do other people. I go crazy scratching skeeter bites raw, while more than one person I've known has said "Oh I don't even itch much when I get bitten." I itch horrifically at mosquito bites and fire ant bites, while other people seem to get bitten but find the itch only mild. Not me!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2014, 7:06 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I don't know if I'm more of a magnet to them than the average person, but I do find that their bites seem to itch me far more intensely than they do other people. I go crazy scratching skeeter bites raw, while more than one person I've known has said "Oh I don't even itch much when I get bitten." I itch horrifically at mosquito bites and fire ant bites, while other people seem to get bitten but find the itch only mild. Not me!

ever try benedryl?

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2014, 12:07 am

I take a garlic supplement (the kind that is not odor free) and a B-complex supplement together everyday. It seems to work pretty good for me and I have O+ blood. I have only been bitten twice this year. When I do get mosquito bites I put benedryl cream on them to help stop the itching.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
ever try benedryl?
Benedryl works great, yes! :D But I tend to forget to use it -- I know that sounds weird. How can I be sitting there itching and not go and get some Benedryl?! I also get forgetful about knowing I should put it on right out of the shower and things; then I walk around itching. It does work wonders though.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 11:12 am

Perkulator wrote:
I take a garlic supplement (the kind that is not odor free) and a B-complex supplement together everyday. It seems to work pretty good for me and I have O+ blood. I have only been bitten twice this year. When I do get mosquito bites I put benedryl cream on them to help stop the itching.

Garlic, and something else I have found amazing at preventing getting bitten in the first place: eating lots of citrus fruits.

I found this out accidentally when I was on this grapefruit kick. I started eating half a grapefruit for breakfast every day. The citrus comes out in your sweat on your skin, and of course citrus is abhorrent to mosquitos. I really didn't get bitten while I was including that in my diet. When I changed back to cereal I started to attract them again.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 2:18 pm

No. They fly around me and some even sit on me but it looks like they can't drink my blood for some reason. At times I get bitten but the mosquito gets off before I even move to hit it. As if my blood was not tasty at all. Maybe it is because I eat a lot of sour food?

However if any of them decides to bite me (even for just the little moment) it gets really itchy later. At first it looks like I was not bitten at all (but I can feel the short pain so I am sure I was) but I get an itching bubble a day or two after this. And it won't disappear for the next few days... Itchy, itchy, itchy!

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2014, 3:11 pm

I don't think I'm a magnet for them, but they sure don't avoid me either. During camping trips, we used citronella candles to fend mosquitoes off, but I don't know how effective that is.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 5:50 pm

no.
my hamsters are ant magnets.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 4:23 pm

Yes. :x

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 11:52 pm

Kiriae wrote:
However if any of them decides to bite me (even for just the little moment) it gets really itchy later. At first it looks like I was not bitten at all (but I can feel the short pain so I am sure I was) but I get an itching bubble a day or two after this. And it won't disappear for the next few days... Itchy, itchy, itchy!
ah yes, bubbles, and nice red bumps with dull pain.

i know, must not itch...but it feels so good doesn't it?:shaking1:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Feb 2015, 10:05 pm

I am & I also have very sensitive skin.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 12:33 am

Yes I am. Happily my new cat who survived as a stray for most of his life and is now enjoying domestic life with me catches and eats them, so this Summer has been a first for me, relatively unscathed by the mosquitoes around here.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 9:25 pm

If your in Florida your definitely a mosquito magnet!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Feb 2015, 9:33 pm

AntDog wrote:
If your in Florida your definitely a mosquito magnet!
Or in south Louisiana

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition