Are you pursuing a career related to your Aspie obsession?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you (or will you be) pursuing a career related to your Aspie obsession?
Yes, I am 27%  27%  [ 30 ]
Yes, I am 28%  28%  [ 31 ]
I'm thinking about it 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
I'm thinking about it 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
No, I'm not 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
No, I'm not 10%  10%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 110

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

I'm wondering how many Aspies are currently pursuing (or thinking of pursuing) a career related to their obsession(s) :) What is your obsession(s) and what career do you want/have?

~ Legend of the Legendary Heroes

064RadicalPractice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 6:00 pm

My major obsession is animals, such as care, management and health
so id like to do something like that, such as a veterinary surgeon
but with large animals perhaps in a zoo :D

Your Aspie score: 160 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 40 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

064RadicalPractice
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 6:12 pm

My major obsession is animals, such as care, management and health
so id like to do something like that, such as a veterinary surgeon
but with large animals perhaps in a zoo :D

Your Aspie score: 160 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 40 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 6:13 pm

i've never had any luck getting anything off the ground. i'm earthbound, it seems. :hmph: i'd love to professionally do what i do as an advanced hobby [digital audio restoration] but there are just no takers, not even for free! :oop: it seems 99% of record collecters are a perverse bunch in that they actually LIKE their records hissy and crackly and rumbly and distorted! it reminds them of their childhoods listening to those same records on their crappy old equipment of the day. :hmph: IMHO they are not really music lovers but instead merely are nostalgia lovers.

AutomotiveAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

I am trying my best to do so, I have always heard “if you do something you love as a job, then you will never work a day in your life,” or something like that. My passion is anything in the automotive field, I have worked as a mechanic while in college but inner office politics drove me crazy, there was more drama in that little shop then an entire season of the Jerry Springer Show which irritated me so bad. I worked best when my co-workers left me alone and was able to work alone which isolated me even more from my gossiping peers. I am pursuing as career in the automotive appraisal business which I currently do it part time along with another full time job as an armored vehicle officer. I love when I have appraisal assignments and as an added benefit I make pretty decent money, however the appraisal company I work for doesn’t have the greatest customer service representatives so work has been steadily declining. I am currently talking with an advisor about opening my own appraisal company which I hope will have better success. In high school my friends called me the walking car dictionary. My dream job would be to open an automotive engineering agency. I love designing and especially designing safer vehicles, new fuel alternatives, and overall more efficient cars and trucks.

AutomotiveAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm

I say what every your passion is then go for it! Turn it into a career! Its individuals like us who have the drive and determination to make a difference in out individual and unique fields of study!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 8:40 pm

^^^
hiya AutomotiveAspie :) welcome to our cool club 8)

i suspect the majority of the posters in this thread must be socially adroit, in order to accomplish what they said they have accomplished or will accomplish. one cannot get into one's dream position without social intelligence.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

Absoloutly, I only expect myself into working with computers and hopefully work within a Software Design or Systems Analysis type or area. Only problem is... No other field of work In not in the slightest interested in, its like either computing or unemployment other than games nothing else piques my interest what so ever...

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

AutomotiveAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2013, 10:02 pm

Yes it is a cool club, and yes the lack of some social skills plays an important role in landing dream positions because typically there is a lot of networking involved which is definitely not one of my strong points.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

the lack of networking social talents is the main reason i've never had any success marketing my skills. oh well, maybe in the next life...

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 3:08 am

AutomotiveAspie wrote:
I say what every your passion is then go for it! Turn it into a career! Its individuals like us who have the drive and determination to make a difference in out individual and unique fields of study!

Very true, I agree! :D

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2013, 3:19 am

I might as well reply to this too ^.^ I have two main obsessions: language and stories (I suppose they're sort of related though). I'm obsessed with books, movies, TV shows, anything with a good story to it. As for language, I love learning foreign languages, studying grammar, playing around with phonetics, and creating my own real languages. I'm also obsessed with cultural anthropology, Ancient Egypt, the Renaissance, mythology, and names. Career-wise I've decided to be both an author and a linguist (a linguist because I love it and it'll give me a steady pay, an author because it's my deepest passion :heart: ) so I've basically found a way to incorporate all of my obsessions in one form or another :D Linguistics is of course all about language, and as a linguist I may be able to travel to different countries (so I'll be able to learn about new cultures). As an author I'll be creating stories of my own, and my passion for Ancient Egypt, the Renaissance, and mythology could come in handy someday. My obsession with names is also very helpful - I rarely have trouble naming characters. I'm currently writing my first novel (the first one I really think I'm going to finish anyway ^.^) and in college majoring in language :D

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

26 Feb 2013, 12:37 am

SakiHeart wrote:
I'm wondering how many Aspies are currently pursuing (or thinking of pursuing) a career related to their obsession(s) :) What is your obsession(s) and what career do you want/have?

Sort of. I have a politics obsession, and I'm pursuing a career in regulatory law.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 1:01 pm

Yes. I am obsessed with reading and books and so I want to work in a library. I hope I get a job.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

I have always liked books and, luckily, I get lots of reading on the job. Then I have good language skills but only in reading and in written expression so I do a lot of reading and writing in foreign languages in my work - luckily, it involves very little speaking.
Also, I am good at talking 'at' people and I have an good memory for facts, which comes handy when I have to teach students at the university. Well, I don't stay after class to chat with them but the students are usually quite happy with my teaching.
All in all, I have manage to use many of my Aspie traits in my work. The communication deficits do get in the way, though, working in a lab, one can easily avoid too much human interaction.
Sometimes I regret not having trained to be a vet, as I love animals, and they love me in return. I do realize though that vets in cities usually have to deal with pets, and that means dealing with their human owners. This, I think, would have been very problematic for me.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 3:22 pm

Unfortunatelly, no. I am not (pursuing it).