Yes, by someone who didn't know I had aspergers/was autistic 41%  41%  [ 172 ]
No 5%  5%  [ 22 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 416

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm

This is a curiosity thing and to add to the theory that NT's can tell when sineine is different even if consciously they are unaware. Supposedly they follow Darwin's theory of natural selection and I want to see if this comes across.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

I've been emotionally bullied by my parents and mentally bullied by my peers. Is there an option for both?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm

i've been bullied by folk who variously termed me "color blind" or "socially ret*d" or just "ret*d."

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 10:34 pm

I've been bullied for being different or acting ret*d. but then i improve and people get lamer than me.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 6:32 pm

Yes, I have been bullied from when I was about the age of 4 all the way
up until the eighth grade.

Aoibh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2012, 3:54 am

I've been bullied a lot. I think they just picked up on how I was rubbish at communication. And how I was twice as intelligent as them. That probably threatened them.

I remember not realising at first that I was being bullied when they ran away from me and hid. I thought it was just a game and I only found out when they turned around and told me straight out that they didn't like me.

webster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2012, 6:39 am

I got bullied in primary school and the first year of high school. Ended up in a couple of fights =[ After that though once they saw I could stick up for myself they started acting nice to me "weird" but I didn't have any problems after that. Even became sort of a friend with one of the bullies!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Sep 2012, 8:57 pm

I was bullied most every school day sense I started school till I started going to a private school for dyslexia in the middle of 6th grade. My mom suspected me of being autistic sense I* was a toddler but the professionals didn't believe I was. My peers figured I was retorted & I did too sometimes

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Oct 2012, 12:23 pm

Not really. I have experienced some emotional abuse thanks to my father, but I've pretty much gotten over it. Some of my habits that came directly from that abuse have been a little difficult to overcome, though.

Old habits die hard?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Oct 2012, 5:28 am

As far is known; this never happened to me.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:04 am

Yup.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 12:49 pm

I don't see why there isn't an option for "Yes, bullied by both those who knew and didn't know". On that note, yes I was.

Then I have done my job

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 1:29 pm

Bullied in every way by parents, siblings and relatives
and peers couldnt be left far behind so they joined in too.....

Ryvandur
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2012, 8:58 pm

I caught a bit of crap from other kids during 6th and 7th grade. That, and my family has never been afraid to mock me for not liking sports or whatever else they like.

Scaurie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2012, 6:16 pm

I've been bullied by both people who knew, and people who did not know about my Asperger's. The only time I was ever bullied by someone who knew was because of my Asperger's, though.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2012, 6:50 pm

I'm not diagnosed, currently trying to get an assessment.

Funnily enough, I was thinking today of starting a thread based on the subject in the OP: that people can just somehow tell there is something different about me. But family and friends don't seem to be able to see it and don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe the people who have always known me are used to it, and people who like me from the off are those who can't see it?

Many a time it's happened that I have managed to look someone in the eye and they have flinched. Only very slightly, and if I weren't actually looking for it I wouldn't have picked up on it. It's so subtle I wonder if it is even conscious on their part. But it is always after that eye contact that they turn cold on me and seem wary of me.

Back on topic though. I was bullied right through school. For being slow, for being clever and for supposedly being a snob (I never was, I just had my mother's well-spoken accent, I was painfully shy and was mocked whenever I spoke, so I didn't speak much). Then it just escalated into everything I did being wrong. Goading me until I snapped, then I'd be punished.

I would have had some respite at uni apart from the fact that I was with a boyfriend who turned cruel and emotionally abusive. He told me constantly that no-one else would ever want me, which I know is what bullies say, but in my case it has been proven correct.

As for working life, whenever I have managed to get a job I've become the target of a bully within the first fortnight.

Adult friendships haven't been a lot better. I've recently had two people stop speaking to me for no reason I know of (not the first time it happened) and every man I've ever dated (all four of them) has cheated on me and constantly lied to me.

This is my world. Whether it is Aspergers or not, it seems other people can clearly see that something isn't quite right about me.