Moderate 23%  23%  [ 131 ]
Severe 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Severe 2%  2%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 563

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

This is an attempt to find better numbers for the amounts in several categories. In this poll, neurotypical refers only to the lack of autism. If you have other conditions, those will be addressed later. The categories of light, moderate, and severe refer primarily to the following:

Light: most people do not notice the condition, it causes only mild impairment of social function, and learning ability, whether better or worse, is not significantly different

Moderate: inhibits, "normal," functioning to some extent even when alone, some people notice the condition but generally, "hand-wave," it as mere social awkwardness, it causes some impairment of social function in that conventions and cues may have to be consciously controlled, and learning ability, whether better or worse, is a subject of some conversations

Severe: strongly inhibits, "normal," functioning, often first trait noticed by other people, causes much impairment of social function and requires conscious control over social actions and interactions, and learning ability, whether better or worse, is significant

This poll is designed to prevent the fact that the relative severity of most Asperger's Syndrome cases may be bad comparisons due to the DSM-IV creating a bias based on mental development that may not exist.

VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2012, 9:51 pm

Oops, I voted light, but I think I could be moderate under those definitions? I definitely seem socially awkward.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

Though some members may disagree with me, I'm lightly affected.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 5:36 pm

I'm really not sure whether or not people can "tell", or if it's the first thing they notice about me. I am sometimes not very good at eye contact, so I have to assume that I come across as "odd" to a lot of people. But I have worked out a lot of strategies which I hope make me seem "odd" rather than "autistic".

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2012, 8:18 am

Under those definitions I would say moderate but apparently I was diagnosed as 'mild' as a child. It certainly doesn't feel mild sometimes however I can function quite well in certain social situations at considerable cost to my stress/anxiety levels. I sometimes wonder if I act a bit more inept than I am because I use my AS as an excuse not to/to do certain things. I wonder if anyone else does that...

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:32 am

I'm moderate. I can come across as completely neurotypical if I need to, but there are some things that really single me out. Such as bad depth perception, sometimes I raise my arm to my side like a dinosaur, I have very straight forward and singly motivated thoughts and interests, and I have no fashion sense. I also have very little ability to start a conversation, I get along better with animals, and I tend to act out my frustrations on others. That could be just a personality trait that I need to grow out of. I'm working on it. I don't plan on being a selfish butt head for the rest of my life.

AWESOMENESSFTW4444
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

Almost completely neurotypical to a point that people are shocked when you tell them your diagnosis.
None of my close friends even knew up until I told them. One of the first friends I told practically grew up with me, and was able to see my unique lifestyle from a 'front-row seat' never guessed that either.

Although I notice a big difference from myself to everyone else.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2012, 11:48 am

Definitely so much as to be moderate for me, considering things such as the amount of times I put my foot in it socially, and the sheer struggle I have with day to day humour. As for learning ability, people have always found remarkable alike my superior learning ability in anything that's IQ-like and my inferior learning ability in some social situations.

strongria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2012, 6:50 pm

My current official diagnosis is mild high functioning classic autism, but by the definitions given I'm "moderate" to "severe" (and was definitely "severe" when I was younger - I'm 40ish)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Actually when it comes to your descriptions I'd have to go with severe rather than moderate.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 7:16 am

I voted the second one down, but then I read your criteria and according to it, I'd be moderate. I come across as a normal neurotypical, with just some slight eccentricities. I am usually very friendly and my eccentricities have at times actually been described as delightful.

Huh. Go figure.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 4:49 pm

i am severe

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 5:43 pm

By your definition I would be moderate; by the DSM-V's criteria I would be light. I don't have a hard time learning but my social awkwardness is extreme.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:31 am

Quote:
Light: most people do not notice the condition, it causes only mild impairment of social function, and learning ability, whether better or worse, is not significantly different

This best describes me. I have a lot of impairments but they can actually be overcome with practice and confidence and some support to get me going. Otherwise, my condition appear invisible to other people.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 9:10 pm

I can't decide between light and moderate. I look normal and people may not guess I have it but some may pick up I have a disability. But they may not know what it is. If they don't notice, they may think I am weird or eccentric or rude or stupid or just shy or nervous. But people who are open minded like me and say I crack them up and fine me funny. Plus they tell me I am being too loud and to quiet down. I tend to blurt things out I am not supposed to and there are other people nearby and they have to tell me "Shhh, not so loud." This is what happens when I don't have social anxiety and I feel content in the social situation.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

16 Jun 2012, 9:27 pm

I don't even know if I have AS or not. It's definitely not straight-up autism. If I do have it, I'd probably be considered very high functioning.
The only issues I seem to have are changing special interests, songs constantly getting stuck in my head, and mild social issues. I don't remember having sensory issues, except watermelon seeds. I can't stand watermelon seeds. :x

(Sorry to brag again, but for Pete's sake, I'm going to MIT. I can't be that low functioning. XD )