What subculture are/were you in high school?

Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What subculture do/did you belong to in high school?
Nerd 18%  18%  [ 48 ]
Jock 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Preppy (of the Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, Izod variety) 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Prep (of the American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Structure variety) 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Goth 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Emo kid 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Skater/punk/skatepunk 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Hippie/stoner 5%  5%  [ 14 ]
Beatnik 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Hip-hop 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Metalhead 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Hipster 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Surfer 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Trendy 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Grunger 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Loner 23%  23%  [ 62 ]
Outcast 16%  16%  [ 44 ]
Other 11%  11%  [ 30 ]
I am/was homeschooled 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
I'm not in high school yet 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 274

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Loner. I was an outcast also but part of it was my choice.

Back in the early '70' you had people described a jocks, and a group that was smart and hung out togeather. The terms "nerd" and "geek" were not used then, that was later. I was not part of the smart group i was getting grades what were called "Gentlemen C's". I do no know if the jocks or the smart group were a "subculture" but they were small minorities. Our teams always had losing records. There was no fraternities/sororities. Jocks were uncool and fraternities were viewed an institution from the past. When I went to college in the late '70's a fraternity formed, it was the first one there in 10 years.

The predominant group of people were called "heads". They were somewhat equivalent to what later was called "stoners". Heavy drug use, long hair, used dungarees, flannel shirts or tee shirts with their favorite rock group insignia. Progressive groups like Yes and Emerson, Lake and Palmer were the rock gods of the time. Zeppelin and Jethro Tull were very popular in my high school also. The "heads" were not hippies, that was over and done with, no protests or yoga, if you said "groovy" you would be laughed at. A lot of the "heads" ended up in the military and became cops or firemen.

If you were different at you were considered a "homo", "queer", or a "fa***t". So even though I am 100% heterosexual I guess I was in the "fa***t" group. But that made you a target not a part of a subculture.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 3:58 pm

Does band count? I chose "other" for that.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 8:49 pm

I was a hippie, believe it or not.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 8:03 am

I was a total, party-of-one outcast for most of HS. If I had been more honest and natural with myself and others, I would have been emo, I imagine, maybe even the cool kid.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 10:34 am

I am a nerdy type kid. (I actually wear glasses). I am obsessed with the 70s, 80s and 90s, old tech, history and documentaries, old video games, drawing, Germany and the German language, and I love 70s, 80s and 90s electronic/non electronic music.

I am usually a shy and quiet kid and real life, and I have ABA therapy to help improve my social skills.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on September 14, 2017)

JT_
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2017, 5:43 pm

I'd probably say that I was an outcast, never fitted in anywhere.

RAADS-R: 170

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 12:44 am

I didn't realize at first that I could pick five different things. And it's a little weird to have found myself picking five different things.
Also, I never realized there was a difference between a prep and a preppy, neither of which applied to me by any stretch of the imagination.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:00 am

My group, if you can call it that, was more of the local ag group. Most of that was during school hours. Also my local church group.

Once school was out, I went home and worked on the farm, usually at least until dark. Either working in the shop; feeding the pigs, cattle, and horses; driving tractors; or doing whatever other farm work turned up.

Often in the summer, the only time I would see anyone outside my family was on Sunday mornings at Sunday School and Church.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:04 am

elbowgrease wrote:
I didn't realize at first that I could pick five different things. And it's a little weird to have found myself picking five different things.
Also, I never realized there was a difference between a prep and a preppy, neither of which applied to me by any stretch of the imagination.

You can apparently go back and revote. My guess is that once you have selected 5 items your revoting ends.

I could only find four. Even then, one of them, the hippy option, was really reaching. It was back in the late 1960s, early 1970s -- I had long hair (usually a Paul Revere and the Raiders haircut) and referred to myself as a redneck hippy. I wasn't into drugs, though.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 7:15 am

I was a daggy outcast until I changed schools in year 10 and received money from the government.

It was the mid 90s and I became a grunger, really enjoying listening to bands like Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and more. I also had a thing for Metallica, still do.

I actually found a group of people with similar interests and I fit in.

ChurchGoingGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 May 2018, 11:58 am

I stayed in my room all the time, studying. I had no real friends, although one girl kept calling me all the time, I hated her though, and tried to get rid of her. I guess I was a loner or a nerd or something like that. I just copied other people, some were popular and I think I got into trouble because of it. I didn't catch on to any social things really, and kind of kept to myself and never did anything at all. I only knew about Goth, as that was what my younger sister was. I didn't even go to school, I supposedly homeschooled but kind of went my own way, studying ancient history and other things of interest at the moment, although I prevented myself from discovering the things I was really interested in because I didn't want anyone to know anything about me, so I just lied outwardly and pretended to be things I was not.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 9:12 pm

I was in high school in the 80's. The only groups back then where I lived were the:

Jocks
Preppies
Nerds
Burnouts
And the newest group at the time: punks/new wavers.

I was accepted into the punk group. All in that group were outcasts involuntarily or by choice. There was overlap in relation to some of the categories on your list since the group was about music, smoking, drugs, sex and partying. Saying off the wall or odd things or acting antisocial? I was perfectly suited to that group.

My sensory issues were deadened by that lifestyle and I was very lucid and aware. I also chalk that period of awareness up to the fact that I was simply a hormone with toes. Yeah, boys are generally into girls and vice versa. But I was so into girls that they were a special interest of mine. Starting at age six I was fascinated by them. Fascinated. I still think women are the coolest for many many reasons.

In any setting with a large group of people I would much rather talk with a group of women than with a group of men. I think that's partly because my dad was absentee due to work travel and PTSD from Vietnam, so my life was nearly exclusively my Mom, my sister and me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Jul 2018, 8:01 am

I called it "Metalloid".
I didn't care much for Metal music but if I wore all black, the Normies didn't bother with me because they labelled me metalhead and the true Metals didn't care. So it maximized my chance to be left alone.

Later it drifted towards post-hippies, it was out of fashion enough to find interesting people there.

Nerdy traits all the time, this is actually the subculture I belong to, even as an adult.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2018, 10:13 pm

I hung around with all kinds of people. Nerd would be most appropriate but I would have also considered myself a metalhead, grunge, goth (in all but attire), loner and outcast.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 11:35 am

I was the outcast in fact I got along with my teachers better than I did my classmates.

And I think there should be a difference between "nerd" and "geek". Nerd implies that you are smart and work hard in school where geek is more like somebody with no social life who obsesses on things like comic books, anime, and video games. A lot of geeks are not smart or hardworking like nerds.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 6:56 am

I picked 'loner' as that was pretty much it.

But... it was a mad rush at lunch to the cafeteria to be able to play Euchre. There was only one game going, so if you weren’t in the first 4, you only watched.

I’m sure if I was a student these days, I’d have been bullied to death. As it was way back when, there was only light teasing. Phew for me!