Red or white?
Red 79%  79%  [ 15 ]
White 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 19

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 3:41 pm

Personally, I prefer red wines. My favourite wine is Port, although this is technically classified as a desert wine, of course. My favourite red wine proper is Merlot, my favourite region being Bordeaux.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:10 pm

Rosé.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Rosé.

I didn't consider that; I don't really consider that sort of thing serious wine.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:40 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Rosé.
I didn't consider that; I don't really consider that sort of thing serious wine.
Then you don't know wine.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:44 pm

Heads or tails? Or what is best to drink first and second? Or what is best to eat with fish? :oops: or :skull: ?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:49 pm

"serious wine?"

what is that?

anyway i have no preference.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2019, 5:57 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
"serious wine?" what is that?
It is a product of viticulture that vaguely embodies a level of pretention which excludes those without an arbitrarily "correct" degree of esoteric wine knowledge.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 12:40 am

Seven posts but only two votes? Come on, people.

Rosé wine is an adolescents' wine, as far as I can see. It has its value, but this thread is concerned with reds and whites, which is why I also haven't included fortified or sparkling wines.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 2:25 am

I tend to go for the red wine, I do like the dark colored wines. But I have had a couple of good white wines, though usually on the cheaper end. I usually get wines on the discount shelf and such and those are delicious, I am not so sure longer aged more expensive wine would actually taste any bettter. But I mean how I shop for wine, is get the best deal for something fruity that you can enjoy even if its a cheap on but sometimes they just put slightly old wine on discount racks so you can get a good bottle for like 4 dollars. I mean most wine I have got is from that place and seriously I have paid like 4 dollars for a tasty bottle.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 9:53 am

Prometheus18 wrote:
... Rosé wine is an adolescents' wine, as far as I can see...
Then you should look farther.

A good rosé is "dry", not sweet. It should be fresh and acidic, without extra sugar to bury its unique flavors and aromas. It was super-sweet white zinfandel and its mass-produced brethren that gave rosé a bad name to begin with.

And because the best rosés are 3 to 5 years old, they rarely contain the heavy tannins of the reds, and thus lack the leathery, musty aftertaste of the older varietals.

A white or a red is worthless (except to winos and wine snobs) if no one enjoys it. Serving a good rosé as an aperitif is never a bad idea.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:02 am

There wasn't an option for none of the above. I'll try all sorts of wine at parties, but haven't found something that I'd buy. I do have a bottle of brandy that I use mostly for cooking.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:09 am

BTDT wrote:
There wasn't an option for none of the above. I'll try all sorts of wine at parties, but haven't found something that I'd buy. I do have a bottle of brandy that I use mostly for cooking.
Have you tried any wines that were not made from grapes? Cranberry wine has an exceptional tartness that goes well with red meats, while pear wine has an ephemeral lightness that does not impose itself upon the palate.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:12 am

I'll keep that in mind, I do vacation where they grow cranberries.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2019, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
... Rosé wine is an adolescents' wine, as far as I can see...
Then you should look farther.

A good rosé is "dry", not sweet. It should be fresh and acidic, without extra sugar to bury its unique flavors and aromas. It was super-sweet white zinfandel and its mass-produced brethren that gave rosé a bad name to begin with.

And because the best rosés are 3 to 5 years old, they rarely contain the heavy tannins of the reds, and thus lack the leathery, musty aftertaste of the older varietals.

A white or a red is worthless (except to winos and wine snobs) if no one enjoys it. Serving a good rosé as an aperitif is never a bad idea.

Thanks for sharing. I'll try to acquaint myself a little better with rosés in the future, but just the basic reds and whites are a challenge at the moment.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2019, 4:53 am

Red for me. I usually pick Bordeaux, sometimes a Beaujolais, or Valpolicella - both Ripasso and Amarone. My wife's favourite is Brunello di Montalcino, I always keep a few bottles of this fantastic wine around.

Nero d'Avola also has some great ones too, just never, ever pick a bottle with a plastic cap.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2019, 10:11 am

It depends entirely on what kind of meal I'm eating it with.

I would still say that I do have a fondness for red wine though.
But I still wouldn't pick a red wine with say fish meals or chicken (besides tikka masala).

I do have particular wines I like with particular foods

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765