Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Central Florida; originally southeastern Massachusetts

06 Jul 2004, 1:51 am

Here are the Male/Female ratio of members:

M: 77 (50%)
F: 77 (50%)

Total: 154

Last edited by Tom_FL_MA on 31 Jul 2004, 1:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2004, 3:12 am

Well, that's realy cool. I did not know that.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

06 Jul 2004, 7:54 am

Neat. How'd you get that? I was thinking of writing a quick PHP script to get those statistics. Didja just count them?

It's also interesting because supposedly there's like an extreme ratio that guys have it more than girls. Perhaps that gap is not as wide as it was thought to be.

Taineyah
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jul 2004, 1:23 pm

I think that maybe females are more likely than males to search out other people like them. I know from having watched my friends that it is harder for females to be accepted as "weird" than for males. Weird males have it a bit easier and, despite all of an Aspie's social issues, we still desire companionship. So females are more likely to go looking for other "geeks" or "weird" people online than males. I know that I would never be fully accepted in a large D&D group (not that I'd feel comfortable in one) nor would I be accepted at a Sci-Fi convention on my own, because I am a teenage female.

Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there, but this is my theory. Any responses?

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 3:28 pm

I think that, in general, men are more pragmatic and less emotional (at least outwardly) than women - so that would mean that fewer men would be attracted to this sort of board . . .

I say this because I am female and have always really disliked other females to the point that I even considered that I might be transgendered at one point - but now knowing that I have AS I realize that what I dislike about females is that they are generally overly emotional - I don't know what to do with emotions, therefore, I don't like to be around females . . . males, on the other hand, think like I do - here is the problem - here is how we fix it - we may talk a little bit about how it makes us feel, but it is only while we are working on fixing it . . .
Not this frittering around and being all emotional and not getting anything done that a lot of females do . . .
Of course, these are all stereotypes - I can tell you examples of people that don't follow these rules - both male and female - but in my attempt to make sence of the world, these are the rules I have come up with . . .
As it is, right now, the people I like to be around are split - 2 females and 2 males - however, I prefer the males in almost all cases . . .
For myself, I really don't consider myself to be a gender anymore - so you should have an other category, darn it! :lol:

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2004, 6:05 pm

Nuttdan wrote:
Neat. How'd you get that? I was thinking of writing a quick PHP script to get those statistics. Didja just count them?

It's also interesting because supposedly there's like an extreme ratio that guys have it more than girls. Perhaps that gap is not as wide as it was thought to be.

Yes, I just counted them up. I will love to do an "statistics of our ages." On your okay I will start a thread for members to state their ages. I am aware of the thread that we give our age and other information about our selves, but I figured doing it this way or PMing me ages I will break down the age demographics of this great site. :)

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2004, 6:12 pm

Hi There!

It seems as though there are many NTs and "Not-Sure's" as members. This would certainly undermine any significance in member statistics, wouldn't it? I am very impressed with your ability to source such statistics though!

Good Luck

Tyrone

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2004, 6:24 pm

Thank you, Tyrone. Here is another update:

M: 86 (50%)
F: 86 (50%)

Total: 172

The memberlist works in a strange way. There have been 18 members in the last
17 hours, member numbers 86 to 103 have become member numbers 155 to 172.

Queenbee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jul 2004, 8:32 pm

That is indeed interesting.

I had expected that the greater diagnosis rate for males skewed the statistics, but as animallover says, females may seek other aspies out more.

I think in this usage, "gender" refers to chromosomal makeup more than self-identity.

As for myself, when someone asks me what I am, I classify myself first as "human".

Queenbee [a female-type person, although no longer with all the original reproductive organs]

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2004, 8:37 pm

queenbee! Time for you to have an avatar! :)

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 8:57 pm

That's funny - one of the things that I think is explained by my AS diagnosis is that I've never felt like a real human - I mean, I know that is the species I belong too, don't get me wrong - but that wouldn't be one of the first things I'd use to define myself . . . in fact, when I was in 4th or 5th grade I got sent to the counselor for explaining to everyone else (including some teachers) that I was, in fact, a very ugly cat and not a human at all . . . or at least half cat . . . I don't think I had a good grasp of genetics at the time :lol:

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Jul 2004, 9:33 pm

This ratio is VERY interesting! When people were beginning to sign up, Ashely and I noticed and commented on the high amount of girls. We thought there might have even been more girls at one point!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2004, 11:31 pm

Just tried to do this with only people in the categories "Have Asperger's - Diagnosed", "Have Asperger's - Undiagnosed", "Not Sure If I Have It Or Not", and "Other Autistic Spectrum Disorder". May have slightly miscounted. Not sure. But not by more than one or two.

All of those categories just mentioned
Total: 123
Males: 78 (63.4%)
Females: 45 (36.6%)

All of those categories just mentioned, except for "Not Sure If I I Have It Or Not"
Total: 111
Males: 68 (61.3%)
Females: 43 (38.7%)

Have Asperger's - Diagnosed
Total: 75
Males: 55 (73.3%)
Females 20 (26.7%)

Have Asperger's - Undiagnosed
Total: 29
Males: 12 (41.4%)
Females: 17 (58.6%)

Other Autistic Spectrum Disorder
Total: 7
Males: 1 (14.3%)
Females 6 (85.7%)

Not Sure If I Have It Or Not
Total: 12
Males: 10 (83.3%)
Females: 2 (16.7%)

It seems as if males with an Asperger's diagnosis are way more common here than females with an Asperger's diagnosis. It may be that doctors are biased toward diagnosing males in some way, or it may be something else entirely, but that seems to go with the supposed fact that there's more males than females. (But if it's diagnostic bias, that would show up both here and in research probably.)

There are also way more females here choosing "Other Autistic Spectrum Disorder" (6) than males (1). But that one's harder to know anything about, because it doesn't say which other diagnosis, and it doesn't say whether the person is actually diagnosed or not. So it's harder to say much about that part except it's kind of interesting.

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2004, 12:04 am

I was going to get to breaking them down like you did, anbuend. Thank you for the information.

Tom_FL_MA
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2004, 7:47 pm

M: 99 (50.03%)
F: 95 (49.97%)

Total: 194

This is not counting "testuser" -- should I include 'her"?

Last edited by Tom_FL_MA on 11 Jul 2004, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

focused
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2004, 2:51 am

I'm glad all of you have pointed this 50/50 ratio out. I enjoy all the diverse feedback from both human genders and the ugly cat. I had noticed and appreciated this diverse feedback but would have never thought to count it. I naturally assumed the reply posts on the threads that I had started were pretty much 50/50. So I decided to go back and count and this is what I found at 3:50 AM EST July 8, 2004.

Jung Typology/Myers-Briggs Personality Test

M: 5 (71%)
F: 2 (29%)

Asperger's? Only in my vocabulary for 3 days. Now what?

M: 6 (55%)
F: 5 (45%)

Einstein's Closet?

M: 3 (43%)
F: 4 (57%)

Also what I found was that I had associated the wrong gender to many of you. The posts above indicate to me that perhaps Aspies are the most gender indifferent but I think that it is important for me to know what gender I am writing to. Perhaps I am overlooking an obvious way to associate gender with a screen name but currently I am checking profiles to be certain. I mention this because I recently did something silly. I sent a private message to a wrongplanet.net member to compliment what they had written in their blog. When I was reading their blog I thought to myself that it was surprising to see a female writing this way. It turns out that the female is a male. If I had known their gender I would have used different adjectives to describe their writing in the private message I sent. Oh Well. Is checking a users profile the only way to identify gender, am I overlooking an obvious indicator? If not, could gender be posted in the forum posts? Age too?