No - Not Sure If I'd Enjoy It Or Not.... 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
Yes - Enjoy It. (Still Employed) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 11:34 am

I just got a job there today. I think I'm going to really like it aswell. :D

Was just wondering if anyone else has ever been employed by Subway? (the sandwich shop, not underground train service).

And if you have been employed by Subway, did you enjoy it?

Also are you still employed there?

Feel free to explain your experiences there too.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 3:42 pm

I didn't know they had them in other countries. 8O
I've never been employed by them. I'll probably apply when I'm looking for another job.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 5:30 pm

Yeah it's a global franchise now. It's easy to see why. I love the food there, not simply brown-nosing my company or anything.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

No, but I like their sandwiches. :)

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:11 pm

My brother works there, he likes it. From what I have seen I would not like it. At a different walmart after someone had worked there for 3 days he was the only one working there that day when it was really busy. Not that this really matters but quiznos tastes better :P I mean it has to be true, my brother agrees with me and he works at subway. For a sub that costes a dollar to make people charge 6.50, come on (at subway).

I applied to 3 different subways a few years ago.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:31 pm

Delphiki wrote:
My brother works there, he likes it. From what I have seen I would not like it. At a different walmart after someone had worked there for 3 days he was the only one working there that day when it was really busy. Not that this really matters but quiznos tastes better :P I mean it has to be true, my brother agrees with me and he works at subway. For a sub that costes a dollar to make people charge 6.50, come on (at subway).

I applied to 3 different subways a few years ago.

But the work that goes into making the sub, not just what you see at the front but also the baking of the bread etc. as well as the fact the the employees need to be paid their wage for their service surely justifies it though, right? As well as electrical costs of the ovens / toasters that have to be on all day and the work and money that goes into washing and cleaning the things used to make the subs....

Also, it's a business that needs to make profit after all. I think it's fair really, not extortionate.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:34 pm

I know, I should have said how I was kinda joking about that part.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 5:56 pm

I haven't worked there, but my friends ex fiancée worked there for a while - she liked it, and it also meant I got a LOAD of vouchers, back when I first moved here and had no cooker or fridge I pretty much lived off Subways so those vouchers helped me save up to buy my fridge :D

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

Delphiki wrote:
I know, I should have said how I was kinda joking about that part.

Oh okay then. Wasn't having a go or anything by the way, just sayin' :wink:

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
I haven't worked there, but my friends ex fiancée worked there for a while - she liked it, and it also meant I got a LOAD of vouchers, back when I first moved here and had no cooker or fridge I pretty much lived off Subways so those vouchers helped me save up to buy my fridge :D

I don't get free vouchers, but I get a free 6 inch sub and free unlimited hot and cold drinks all day when I'm working there. My family sort of miss out as there wont be any vouchers for them but I don't mind as it's mine! ALL MIIIINE!

It was funny how the other day after I had finished my trial shift, I was told I could have a free sub, and I went round the front like any ordinary customer, ordered it like an ordinary customer, then just said goodbye and walked out without having to pay. 8) It felt awesome!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:30 pm

I wouldn't mind trying it out (money is money) but my friend works at McDonald's and hates it - she gets a lot of unappreciative rude customers who make her day miserable. Obviously this could be different at different chains and different locations though and I hope you enjoy your job :)

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

Where I work is generally quite quiet as it's a small shop in a small town. What I like is that there isn't any fried food smell or any grease or oil in the atmosphere either as it's all baked or served cold. I'd feel dirty working in a MdDonalds. I think there is only a team of 4 at a time in my local Subway. Pretty good, and very different to any McDonalds I've been in.

Thanks.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 12:59 am

No, and I don't think I would like it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 1:08 am

I sometimes eat at Subway, and I have nothing against it. But I think that I would hate to work there, for the following reason:

I have noticed that the staff at Subway always give out a certain specific amount of each ingredient. I assume that they are instructed on how to do this. Take olives for example. Many people feel that their local Subway doesn't give them enough olives. This may be true, but clearly it is not the staff's fault. But I have often noticed that irritable customers will ask for "more olives" after they see how many olives they get, and the staff will give them more olives than they usually would. This annoys my sense of fairness for two reasons:

(1.) The only result of this procedure is that polite and shy people get less olives than irritable and rude people;
(2.) Since it becomes well-known that you can get more olives by complaining, there is no motivation for the standard amount of olives (which is often quite stingy) to ever increase.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 7:20 am

I'd like to work in a subway, the food is immense and from what rabbit has told me it's not a bad atmosphere. I wouldn't dream of working in a Macdonald's though.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 10:32 am

Declension wrote:
I sometimes eat at Subway, and I have nothing against it. But I think that I would hate to work there, for the following reason:

I have noticed that the staff at Subway always give out a certain specific amount of each ingredient. I assume that they are instructed on how to do this. Take olives for example. Many people feel that their local Subway doesn't give them enough olives. This may be true, but clearly it is not the staff's fault. But I have often noticed that irritable customers will ask for "more olives" after they see how many olives they get, and the staff will give them more olives than they usually would. This annoys my sense of fairness for two reasons:

(1.) The only result of this procedure is that polite and shy people get less olives than irritable and rude people;
(2.) Since it becomes well-known that you can get more olives by complaining, there is no motivation for the standard amount of olives (which is often quite stingy) to ever increase.

Actually everyone is entitled to more of any of the salad if they want. They should be asked by the staff if they have enough. Generally though everyone gets 3 tomatoes / cucumber for a 6 inch and 6 for a footlong, but as for any of the other salad and sauces, they can always get more. Staff members should really ask the customer if they have enough. I think it's fair enough. No-one ever really gets the same amount exactly (it'd take way to long to measure it all) so the staff just use their best judgement.

As far as I've seen so far (after working two shifts) everyone has been quite polite when they request more of any of the salad or sauces. But if a customer was rude and had a bit of an attitude, we'd still be obliged to serve them and treat them no different to anyone else, unless they were breaking laws or something. We just have to put on a happy face sometimes and get on with it.