Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

07 May 2021, 4:12 pm

I've been on a waitlist for an apartment for about 15 months. My mental health has significantly declined since applying due to my living situation. The apartment cannot tell me when they will have room for me. I am searching with the help of my case manager, but it just seems so difficult to find affordable places. Any advice?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 May 2021, 11:21 pm

Are you on any programs that would give you a break or discount on your rent or are you trying to get a place like that :?: Different programs & types of places can have different policies so it would help for us to know the situation. Like if your gonna pay for it all yourself you can try various private for profit landlords as long as their rent is affordable but if your trying to get in an income assisted place where your rent is partly dependent on your income, things can be quire different.
Also your location says Indiana, USA is that correct? It would help readers to know what country your in. I don't know how much assistance you'll get on here if any but I hope you'll get some.

Where me & my girlfriend were living a couple years ago, things had gradually gotten worse & her mental health majorly declined as a result of sh!tty neighbors making things unbearable for her. We were on a waiting list for a year before we got our current place.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

11 May 2021, 6:42 am

Yes, I'm in Indiana, US. I don't know of any programs like that or where to find that information. I don't know much about it :? I've been on a waitlist for more than a year and they can't tell me when the wait will be done. So I'm starting to look at other places that are income-based. The problem is most of these kinds of places are in really rough neighborhoods, and I don't see myself adapting to that well. Anything in a relatively safe area is rare and hard to find.

I'm glad you both were able to get out of there.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2021, 11:59 pm

You can see if the housing authority for your area has any rental listings. Check their website; if you find nothing, call and ask. They may have a paper list.

It's best to be on the waiting list for more than one rental complex.

Look into mobile home parks. Some have mobile homes available for rent.

Consider moving further away from your current location.

Look in the phone book and call every place that rents housing.